Best training places in the North West?

Hi all.

Right. I recently just took a medical for the HGV, which I was told was all OK, I’m awaiting the DVLA sending me the D2 form, because I no longer have photocard licence - it was stolen in the post, and the DVLA generally are pretty useless, so the process is being dragged out, as per usual.

Anyway, once I have that, I intend on booking my theory and hazard perception tests, once they’re out of the way with, I’ll be looking to get my class 2.

So I guess my question is, does anybody have any decent recommendations for trainers in the North West? I’m in Liverpool myself, but I’m OK with going to Greater Manchester, Lancashire, even West Yorkshire (grew up in Huddersfield) and I could do with some suggestions from people who have had all round success with a training school. What’s good value for money, what you get for your money, how much crash courses are, ect.

Any information would be muchly appreciated. New to this site, so I still need to learn how to navigate it properly, so please don’t think I’m being ignorant if I don’t respond to you!

Many thanks!

Alex.

I would strongly recommend training with Paul from Elmet Training in Yorkshire. You will find him very approachable and friendly. Also has a terrific 1st time pass rate.

Hope this helps

Right, I’ll check that out, will do a search on him.

And all suggestions help. Thanks man!

We are based not far from you - check out our website -training and testing from our own centre too

John

CHEVRON was my fist thought but there are others listed in the link below in my signature

Give Mark Thompson a ring he owns and runs Northwest HGV training based in Widnes very experienced trainer he will give you help and advice on what you will need to commence your training here is the link to his web site
http://www.hgv-training-northwest.co.uk/

L & T transport near wakefield is where i did mine back in December, i would definitely recommend them, good bunch.

If your willing to travel for a week, I would highly recommend Lancaster Training in Heysham. I’ve just passed my wagon licence with them after two and a half days training and assessment. The examiner is a great laugh as well! Had a VERY good chat with him on both tests. Failed first one due to hitting cone on reversing but only had 2 minors and passed the second a week later with one minor and an hour long chat!

I went out of area stayed at a travel inn I used Flair training in chelmsford had good training & advice

Just a thought

But go visit a few see who you are happy with speak with the trainers even have an assessment or 3 then make some decisions as it is your money you are parting with

Animals advice is spot on - make sure you visit more than 1 trainer, check out the vehicles, instructors and facilities then make a decision.
There are lots of threads on the forum with write ups about a number of trainers in your area

Good luck with it

John

Go and see John at Chevron in Flint .

Hi m8 if you are tight on budget and want the cheapest and 20 hours training then try hindley green I passed mine first time
I Have not seen any cheapest then hindley green goodluck with what ever training school u choose.

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. I checked a couple of places out, found one I’m happy with, just in the process of getting the theory out of the way with.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions, they really did come in handy!

Endgame:
I checked a couple of places out, found one I’m happy with,…/quote]
Who have you decided to go with?

Endgame:
Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. I checked a couple of places out, found one I’m happy with, just in the process of getting the theory out of the way with.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions, they really did come in handy!

It always pays to shop around to get what’s best for you - good luck with your training and of course test :smiley:

John

Re: Best training places in the North West?
Post by ROG » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:24 am

Endgame:

So to repeat ROG, Who did you go with in the end?

ROG:

Endgame:

Hiya mate, sorry I only just saw your reply.

I’ve decided with a place called “Town and Country” in Merseyside.

Good luck. Have to comment that it’s a bit odd to ask for advice - then totally ignore it!!

Hope you’re not paying more than £1000 for the full course, incl VAT, test, accommodation (if you needed it) and full cpc all at a DSA accredited trainer.

Just had one pass from Liverpool yesterday.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Good luck. Have to comment that it’s a bit odd to ask for advice - then totally ignore it!!

Hope you’re not paying more than £1000 for the full course, incl VAT, test, accommodation (if you needed it) and full cpc all at a DSA accredited trainer.

Just had one pass from Liverpool yesterday.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I did check back, I’d just overlooked ROG’s comment!

I’ve still not committed to any particular company yet, but the ones I’m checking, for my class 2, are all between £995 - £1095, just the one I mentioned in the above comment seems to be the most reasonably priced. I’m still open to suggestions, won’t be booking any training until I have this theory out of the way with!

Stockport hgv, been going 34 years good reputation amongst companies that use them to train there drivers I believe shell is One