best satnav.

i want to buy a new satnav. i’ve just started back on european work. so i want one that covers eastern europe, russia, ukraine, romania, and bulgaria.
i don’t want to upgrade the one i have, as i’ve had it quite a few years, so it will only break down in the wrong place.
i would prefer to go into a shop, rather than buy online.
thanks. phil.

halfords do good deals at the moment

I Use Navman range.
Maps can updated online for £40.
The one I’ve got (SD) came with Europe wide maps.
As a bonus, I find the display really provides addition information like names of roads in a big area around you which is handy.

tom tom

turn an burn:
tom tom

i have a tom tom 550 but dont go over the water, its never let me down yet.
saturday i went with my mate who has just got the one below. and its the best kit ive seen/used.

trucknav.co.uk/

maplins are selling them now.

I use my own Tom- Tom every week, sometimes the company Garmin…Much of muchness, some slight variation in routing from the 2 of them. Still better than stopping to look at maps all the time. The choice is yours!

no sat nav is old hat its android mobile now nokia ovi maps or google maps navigaton is the future you can then download an apps for bridge heights…an entry level mobile gets you the nokia 5230 for £80 payg it makes financial sense

try this link courtesy of nokia
nokia.co.uk/services-and-app … vph2_16034

courtesy of google navigation
google.com/mobile/navigation/

you get a new mobile and will allways have the latest maps in torquay or timbuktoo

I preferred Microsoft Autoroute on my laptop for out of the way places I remember doing a job in the old East Germany and sat nav was trying to get me to cross a river and the bridges were all 3t max. At least with a hard copy of a map or a layout on the laptop you could choose a suitable route for a lorry.

I still like paper maps, have a sat nav and have the discs for autoroute. A laptop just saves you having a box full of heavy road maps taking up room

Wheel Nut:
I preferred Microsoft Autoroute on my laptop for out of the way places I remember doing a job in the old East Germany and sat nav was trying to get me to cross a river and the bridges were all 3t max. At least with a hard copy of a map or a layout on the laptop you could choose a suitable route for a lorry.

I still like paper maps, have a sat nav and have the discs for autoroute. A laptop just saves you having a box full of heavy road maps taking up room

I’m inclined to agree. I prefer to use a road atlas, with bridge heights and weight restrictions, to get me in the general area. I’m looking for a relatively inexpensive sat nav, preferably the Garmin Nuvi, that will get me to the front door. Any suggestions?

lumpygreenpoo:

Wheel Nut:

I’m inclined to agree. I prefer to use a road atlas, with bridge heights and weight restrictions, to get me in the general area. I’m looking for a relatively inexpensive sat nav, preferably the Garmin Nuvi, that will get me to the front door. Any suggestions?

www.hgvsolutios.com nr one

I have an old TT720 with Western and Central Europe loaded, works well in Poland, I live in the sticks down here and it does very well around the back roads and of course major roads, been to SK with it, good again. Western Europe is very good also and with the truck thing loaded would make it as good as a Sat Nav can be.

Also have a Navigon unit which I do think is very good, does Eastern Europe also, not to bad around these parts, good routing into the west. Navigon do also sell a truck based SD card for some of the units, about 100 quid or a dedicated unit, seems new out.

I would edge towards a TomTom, seems easier to use on the move and it seems pretty easy to get the truck stuff on, even my old 720 would support it.