Best Sat Nav?

I’m sure this has been asked before but I can’t find any info.
I have an ordinary sat nav which I use but don’t rely on. Is there a decent sat nav on the Market suitable for Artic use and if so does it actually work? Oh and how much roughly, thanks :slight_smile:

most sat nav threads are in the

COMPUTER,TRANSPORT SOFTWARE AND TECHNOLOGY FORUM

grovegarage:
I can’t find any info.

Seriously ■■?

I have said it before and i will say it again … BUY A ROAD ATLAS FOR LORRY DRIVERS :exclamation:

sat navs are a waste of money and you never will learn how to get anywhere on your own by throwing your hard earned cash on such lazy garbage.
learn to read a map FFS

Pat Hasler:
I have said it before and i will say it again … BUY A ROAD ATLAS FOR LORRY DRIVERS :exclamation:

sat navs are a waste of money and you never will learn how to get anywhere on your own by throwing your hard earned cash on such lazy garbage.
learn to read a map FFS

i said the same thing till i tried one , they do work and they have more to them than just routing , instead of just preaching the usual garbage why dont you move into the real world and try one .
do you even realise they have speed camera warnings and other stuff ? no of course you didnt .

use them with maps and common sense and they work .

:laughing: :laughing:

I got one of these off eBay about 3 months ago. Only used it a few times but seems OK. Full european maps, set height/length/weight of vehicle etc plus got other features too apart from the sat-nav, like you can play videos on a memory card. Also free map updates too.

Cant go wrong for £70 and only took about 10 days to get here

ebay.co.uk/itm/7-HD-Europe-U … 2312d79d79

Get a free sat nav app on iphone or buy the Renault sat nav app. trucks.viewtopic.php?f=8&t=68836

DS074:
I got one of these off eBay about 3 months ago. Only used it a few times but seems OK. Full european maps, set height/length/weight of vehicle etc plus got other features too apart from the sat-nav, like you can play videos on a memory card. Also free map updates too.

Cant go wrong for £70 and only took about 10 days to get here

ebay.co.uk/itm/7-HD-Europe-U … 2312d79d79

ive seen this and thinking of getting one…what mapping software does it come with? and how do they give you updates? is it usable in a small car too…i.e. will it sit ok on the dashboard as i guess it could be too heavy to hold onto windscreen suciton thing?

I use a truckers atlas with bridge heights to plan my route to within 5 miles odd then use the sat nav to guide me in to the front door. I know what Pat Hasler is getting at, that you shouldn’t rely only on the sat nav which is true but they are an essential tool for a truck driver I feel.

I had a Snooper s2000 which was ok but not brilliant and broke recently. I had ordered the newer, larger s7000 snooper which is mega bucks and not really worth the extra over the s2000 just for a bigger screen and the digi tv function which doesn’t work very well by the way. I was in a pickle and needed a sat nav for multi drop in the meantime so bought a Tom Tom bog standard sat nav for £100 odd to tide me over till the s7000 arrived. The Tom Tom has a much more polished interface and the maps on the Snooper look a little dated when compared to the Tom Tom.

If I hadn’t bought the s7000 i’d go for the Tom Tom truck specific one. The Tom Tom one also goes to 6 post code digits where as the snooper only goes to 4. Not a problem if you have the road name as well though.

amazon.co.uk/TOMTOM-7100-Pro … 416&sr=8-7

Just to add the s2000 has tried to send me under a low bridge in the past so just shows you are better using the atlas to get you in the locality of a drop first.

Silver_Surfer:
I use a truckers atlas with bridge heights to plan my route to within 5 miles odd then use the sat nav to guide me in to the front door. I know what Pat Hasler is getting at, that you shouldn’t rely only on the sat nav which is true but they are an essential tool for a truck driver I feel.

I had a Snooper s2000 which was ok but not brilliant and broke recently. I had ordered the newer, larger s7000 snooper which is mega bucks and not really worth the extra over the s2000 just for a bigger screen and the digi tv function which doesn’t work very well by the way. I was in a pickle and needed a sat nav for multi drop in the meantime so bought a Tom Tom bog standard sat nav for £100 odd to tide me over till the s7000 arrived. The Tom Tom has a much more polished interface and the maps on the Snooper look a little dated when compared to the Tom Tom.

If I hadn’t bought the s7000 i’d go for the Tom Tom truck specific one. The Tom Tom one also goes to 6 post code digits where as the snooper only goes to 4. Not a problem if you have the road name as well though.

Just to add the s2000 has tried to send me under a low bridge in the past so just shows you are better using the atlas to get you in the locality of a drop first.

you having trouble with s7000 t.v ? i have one and it works fine , you sure you’re tuning it in properly ?

I’ve been using the Garmin Nuvi 465T - and it seems to do the truck sat-nav thing fairly well - it does know about height, weight and width restrictions.
It “sort of” does the traffic warning thing.

The bluetooth phone thing is flakey - it is unable to read the phone book from my android phone (needs a re-boot if you try) and an incoming call can sometimes paralyse the poor wee beast.

I can’t say how well it handles the more esoteric restrictions in London.

Pat Hasler:

learn to read a map FFS

Totally agree, waste of money, if you cant read a map shouldnt be doing the job…

Silver_Surfer:

the first tomtom i bought in 2005 had 7 digit postcode search and think that is a very poor show from the snooper to only use 4 digits
was slowly coming round to the idea of trying a snooper until i read that

the biggest problem with snooper is’nt the postcode problem it’s the backup from the company , i’ve never spoke to any company who’s product i’ve bought that shows so little interest. i’ve said it on here before and i’ll say it again , when mine go’es wrong it’s going in the bin because from my experience of contacting them i’ll be bagging my head on a brick wall .

i have a problem with it now to do with poi’s and im not going to waste my time talking to them , good satnav and all that and i use the t.v part of it every night , but no way will i spend anymore money with them . i’ve spoken to them a few times now and its pointless trying too . i had a lag problem when i first used it and was told over the phone that its not possible for it to lag , in other words i was wrong . i dont think so . never again.

I have the snooper s7000 also and wouldnt be without it…

one of the best functions ive found on there is multi routing… get your job sheet in the morning tap all your postcodes in, in the order you are delivery press go and hey presto
Gives you total driving time and mileage as well as stage by stage time and mileage.

Tried and tested and works…Never had a prob with bridges weight limits etc so far. Once you have typed in the trucks credentials of which u can have more than one stored in there the route is worked out for you. All bridges are marked on sat nav screen in advance but you dont see any lower than your trailer obvs because its already re directed you!! (and the ones that are marked are spot on with the road signs)

Bit expensive i know but i won one on ebay for £260 with eu maps so i cant complain nor would i go back.

Traffic alerts pop up as and when required and give you option to redirect if you want.
Bluetooth is good, could be a little louder on volume but shut windows and its fine.
DVB tv is okay…bit hit and miss atm but by end of sept will be fine when everything goes digital.

I dont rely on it before someone says somethin! I can navigate on main roads just fine but its handy for last 20 odd miles or once u have got off the motorways etc…

I also have a snooper s7000 pro and you can put a full postcode in but you have to put a space in ie wa7 6pq I find it great