Best sat nav recomended

which sat nav do you think is the best with updates of low bridges ect, upto now the garmin 610t looks the best any others recomended

A good paper map and Mark 1 Eyeball has never let me down. :wink:

gothika when you pass your test you will need a good road atlas with bridge heights in it.

I’m not one of the ant-sat nav brigade in fact I sometimes use one myself (Tomtom Go 910), but under no circumstances should you rely entirely on a sat nav without planning your route with a good paper map.

You will hear endless stories of people who have followed a sat nav blindly and ended up in situations they couldn’t get out of, to the best of my knowledge as yet there isn’t a sat nav that’s designed for trucks.

A sat nav is a great driver aid but by no means is it a substitute for a good road atlas, so do yourself a favour and buy a good road atlas such as the AA Road Atlas With Bridge Heights and learn to use it (if you can’t already), and only then worry about a sat nav.

Good luck.

tachograph:
gothika when you pass your test you will need a good road atlas with bridge heights in it.

I’m not one of the ant-sat nav brigade in fact I sometimes use one myself (Tomtom Go 910), but under no circumstances should you rely entirely on a sat nav without planning your route with a good paper map.

You will hear endless stories of people who have followed a sat nav blindly and ended up in situations they couldn’t get out of, to the best of my knowledge as yet there isn’t a sat nav that’s designed for trucks.

A sat nav is a great driver aid but by no means is it a substitute for a good road atlas, so do yourself a favour and buy a good road atlas such as the AA Road Atlas With Bridge Heights and learn to use it (if you can’t already), and only then worry about a sat nav.

Good luck.

don,t get me wrong m8, im going to buy an AA Close-up Truckers Atlas Britain
with the bridge heights ect, i will always rely on my judgement of a good atlas, but was also thinking of getting a sat nav, just for example to find a indrustrial estate in london or birmingham , i know sat navs are crap in a way send you down a wrong route especially for a big truck, and usually longest way, but must come in handy for awkward places to find in city centres as a lot of one way roads if you miss a turn means you,ve got to go right round one way system again especially if you don,t know your,re way around that city,
i know my way around the country i normally look at atlas for few mins write down a few road numbers on a bit paper and thats all i usually need, just thinking a sat nav could or might save me a bit time finding the place i need.,
cheers lez

I’m not knocking sat navs m8, as I said I use one myself, unfortunately some people think they’re an alternative to a road atlas where’s in fact they’re an excellent compliment to a road atlas, In my opinion for what it’s worth a sat nav really comes into its own when trying to find your way locally, then it’s a brilliant driver aid if used along with common sense.

Helps with speed cameras too :wink:

gothika:
im going to buy an AA Close-up Truckers Atlas Britain
with the bridge heights ect, i will always rely on my judgement of a good atlas, but was also thinking of getting a sat nav, just for example to find a indrustrial estate in london or birmingham.
i know my way around the country i normally look at atlas for few mins write down a few road numbers on a bit paper and thats all i usually need, just thinking a sat nav could or might save me a bit time finding the place i need.,
cheers lez

You seem to have the right idea regarding Sat Navs, Great for getting to the door and save having loads of A to Z’s and having to refer to them whilst driving through a city.
But you need a map to see the big picture and a brain to work things out.

if u have got a tomtom go720/go910/go920 then u can input something on a road with map share.

I made the mistake of solely using sat nav til the inevitable happened and i had to u turn a 6 wheeler on the A666 :blush:

As a result of this i decided to email tom tom to ask them if they had any plans to include height/weight restrictions in their units in the future as i for one would be willing to pay an extra £50 on top of the cost a new unit. The answer was a blunt no and no plans for the future.

I find it best to use both, plan my route with a map and just use SN to pinpoint somewhere i haven’t been to before

tachograph:

Are you sure? need is a strong word, i have never needed one. Low bridges are usually well marked in advance.

Why?? Again i have never checked against paper map as the SatNav is a good digital map.

Common sense most of the time IMHO

SatNav is a digital map, is it not??

I am fed up with people moaning about SatNav, it is only a tool just like a paper map. Only a bad workman blames his tools :smiley: :smiley:

Linux-user:

tachograph:

Are you sure? need is a strong word, i have never needed one. Low bridges are usually well marked in advance.

Sure and if you don’t mind changing route to avoid bridges or unsuitable roads you won’t need to plan routes in advance, though to be fare I guess it does to some extent depend on the size of the vehicle.

Linux-user:

Why?? Again i have never checked against paper map as the SatNav is a good digital map.

Depends on how big the vehicle is and how much time your prepared to spend checking a map that about 4 inches square or re-routing when you find yourself being directed down roads that are clearly unsuitable.

Linux-user:

Common sense most of the time IMHO

I agree that it’s common sense not to follow a sat nav blindly in a truck if that’s what you mean.

Linux-user:

SatNav is a digital map, is it not??

A sat nav is a digital map but unfortunately they don’t usually show what a road is like as well as a good road atlas.
With a good road atlas you get a better idea of the bigger picture something you won’t get from a 4 inch square map, well not unless you have plenty of time to study it anyway.

Linux-user:
I am fed up with people moaning about SatNav, it is only a tool just like a paper map.

Did you actually bother to read my post, if so perhaps you could point out where I was moaning about sat navs.
If you take the trouble to read what I’ve said you’ll see that I to think a sat nav is a tool and a good one at that, but for getting the overall picture it has to be faced that it’s not yet as good as a road atlas.

Linux-user:
Only a bad workman blames his tools

It’s certainly true that a bad workman blames his tools but it’s equally true that a smart workman uses the most appropriate tools for the job.

So would you recommend an inexperienced HGV driver to blindly follow a sat nav ?

I would never recommend anyone blindly follow a SatNav.

I did not word my moan properly, what i was trying to say was that i am fed up with people just moaning about them for no reason. They only do what you tell them and there is the option to ignore or turn off. I did not mean you were moaning just generalizing when under the guinness :blush: :blush: (does it make sense now as still hung-over?)

Sure and if you don’t mind changing route to avoid bridges or unsuitable roads you won’t need to plan routes in advance, though to be fare I guess it does to some extent depend on the size of the vehicle.

As i already said most low bridges are well sign posted in this country and over the water the majority of bridges are at 4m. As for unsuitable roads common sense is what needed, none of my maps will tell me if the road is unsuitable or not.

Depends on how big the vehicle is and how much time your prepared to spend checking a map that about 4 inches square or re-routing when you find yourself being directed down roads that are clearly unsuitable.

Not all SatNav’s have 4" screen :wink: :wink: Some people use laptops with autoroute giving a 15.4" screen and some even have internet and can check google maps :wink: :wink:

I agree that it’s common sense not to follow a sat nav blindly in a truck if that’s what you mean.

Glad we agree :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s certainly true that a bad workman blames his tools but it’s equally true that a smart workman uses the most appropriate tools for the job

Agreed, a phone call to someone who been there before helps enormously :smiley: :smiley:

gothika:
which sat nav do you think is the best with updates of low bridges ect, upto now the garmin 610t looks the best any others recomended

diffrent breed these newbies :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: (whats a satnav) :laughing: :laughing:

I have a dirt cheap and extremely nasty piece if ■■■■ for a sat nav and it has NEVER let me down it gets me from A2B, people say you need this one or that one its a bit like anything else they are all the same .