Best Route To York?

Howdy quiz fans.

Tomorrow I have a simple run from Harleston in Norfolk, to Pickfords in York, apparantly if you get a good run it can be done in 4 1/2 there and 4 1/2 back, but I am unsure what route to go, any advice please?

Not sure of the exact route but I head up the A1 until you get to the A64 near leeds from there york is less than 30 mins away

yep A1, A64 straight into york Its only practical way coming from south

Surely there’s a way that cuts the corner out, mind you, the roads ain’t too great up in the Fens & the Humber Bridge probably bolloxes it right up too.

Mr B:
Not sure of the exact route but I head up the A1 until you get to the A64 near leeds from there york is less than 30 mins away

In a car on a good run it says 4h 10 mins so guess its possible leaves only 20 mins for slow traffic/accidents…

ROADWORKS AT TUXFORD on A1 not sure how bad the traffic is in the roadworks as not been there this week,

But as has been said before use the A14/A1 all the way up to A64 and you’ll see signs for YORK.

let us know how you get on. :smiley:

I will tomorrow night hopefully, assuming I am not freezing to death in my truck as I am out of hours.

You will really struggle to do this unless you hit nothing. Leeds to Kings Lynn is about 4.5 with a good run last time I did it and you’ve got a bit further to go.

Unless your in a 7.5tonne with no speed limiter I think you’ll need 2 breaks and the use of your 10 hours to do it.

from the A143 to the A1066, through Diss to Thetford, from Thetford, follow the A134 up to Kjngs Lynn, then follow the A17 to Newark, then north on the A1 to the A64 as already mentioned.

I thought about that route, but I thought it might be quicker to go via A14 as I can go faster on dual carriageways and motorways than I can on a standard A road obviously.

you might have a valid point there, but it is 21 miles further to go the A14 via Cambridge/huntingdon

depending on the time of day, you may hit traffic on the A14 between Cambridge and Huntingdon.

You will definately hit traffic on the A1 at Tuxford in the new set of roadworks, unless you go up the A15 through Lincoln upto the M180, then whichever way you decide.

4 1/5 hours is looking more and more impossible for you

Ask who-ever told you it could be in under 4:30, what route they use to do it in that time.

what time are you travelling?

BozLeeds:
You will really struggle to do this unless you hit nothing. Leeds to Kings Lynn is about 4.5 with a good run last time I did it and you’ve got a bit further to go.

Unless your in a 7.5tonne with no speed limiter I think you’ll need 2 breaks and the use of your 10 hours to do it.

:open_mouth: We used to regularly do, Darlo or Teeside to KL in one hit, and that was at 40t and sticking to the speed limits on the A17 :unamused:

shuttlespanker:
you might have a valid point there, but it is 21 miles further to go the A14 via Cambridge/huntingdon

depending on the time of day, you may hit traffic on the A14 between Cambridge and Huntingdon.

You will definately hit traffic on the A1 at Tuxford in the new set of roadworks, unless you go up the A15 through Lincoln upto the M180, then whichever way you decide.

4 1/5 hours is looking more and more impossible for you

You wanna pray VOSA dont pull you for routine check - understand they are always out and about up in that area :sunglasses: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Put some irish plates on your truck and they’ll ignore you :wink: :laughing: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Pickfords is just off the main road into York, its off the A1079, you will head right into the centre of york, then you turn right onto James st, its the second building on the right can be a bit tight getting in if there are other cars in there!!

I set off at 4am, should get a good few hours with little traffic.

I’d go via A14-A1 but I don’t think you’ll make it in 4 1/2 eachway it’s 213 miles. Let us know how you get on

too late i know plan around a 10 drive
doing 3 x 3 hr 20 drives

this where sat nav helps at least you know how much time left to strange destination

it’s been about a year I was in York last time.
Left Stansted airport early-ish in the morning (7-8am), stopped at Bury St. Edmunds for 2-3hrs and reached York after dusk - it was Dec, so 4-5pm perhaps.
It was with passenger car, and I did Thetford - Kings Lynn - Newark o.T. then A1 and A64. And hit major queue at Blyth and then at Ponterfract due to roadworks. And had to make two emergency stops because of the s**** food I had eaten at Newark’s Little Chef!
I returned via Humber bridge and A15 to Peterborough - min traffic, stable 50-60mph, 56mpg - I think I’d prefer this route unless all roadworks on the A1 were finished and no heavy traffic would be expected. But I would not dare to do it in 4.5hrs

4 hrs 20 minutes each way :sunglasses: