Best Route to south side of London Bridge

Tomorrow I have to go to London dungeons, (south side of the thames close to London bridge), I Could do with some advise about the best route through London, which bridges I can use ec’t, I’ll be going down the M1 from the Midlands and I expect to get to London late morning early noon, also I’m not yet sure about the weight of the vehicle but I’m told it will be a rigid pulling a trailer.
Sorry about the vague information but it’s all the info I have at the moment.

what time are you travelling■■?.
remember the lorry ban before 07.00

No problem, I expect to get to London late morning /early afternoon.

london bridge is i think 18tonne limit, so i presume a rigid with a trailer will be over this…

there is cameras as well…

remember the congestion charge!

Just found this which suggests that London bridge has no limit but Tower bridge has a 17 ton limit.
so London bridge is looking most likely.
The congestion charge is being taken care of by the firm I’ll be driving for.

to save messing with the city traffic you could always go through the blackwall tunnel and come in from the bottom on the a206, a2. i would from the m11, not sure about m1. but it is a lot quieter coming in to london this way.

there is one with a limit of 240 tonnes but cant think which one,but its in david lowes first trucking book,got a copy but cant find the bloody thing :open_mouth: .

mark croft:
there is one with a limit of 240 tonnes but cant think which one,but its in david lowes first trucking book,got a copy but cant find the bloody thing :open_mouth: .

thats a heavy wagon n drag :wink:

Personally I’d come down the M11/ A406 NCR/ A12 / A11 to Aldgate and enter the congestion zone at Tower Hill, follow the river through towards Westminster on Lower Thames St. and cross on Southwark bridge (no weight limit)

Tower Bridge would be easiest but is only 18t

London bridge isn’t easily accessible unless you come from Monument.

Tachograph

The way i used to go was{now bear in mind this is over 6yrs ago due to retirement and before the congestion charges] OFF THE M1 AND STRAIGHT INTO THE CITY ON THE A1. keep following the a1 till you come to commercial st do a left and go down to aldgate r/bout. round the r/bout[ITS BIG] follow signs for tower bridge.Before the bridge go down the embankment keeping tower of london on your left. go along embankment to next bridge [LONDON BRIDGE].turn left go over bridge,take 1st left at lights into tooley st, go under railway bridge at london bridge station and the london dungeons on your right hand side.Good luck mate thats the way i knew,if a/things changed over the yrs im sure the lads on here will tell you were im wrong if i am.

regards dave

I’m sure you go under London Bridge and cannot join it, if so dafdave is talking about Southwark. Personally I’d avoid the A1 as the other route is not as congested.

dave:
to save messing with the city traffic you could always go through the blackwall tunnel and come in from the bottom on the a206, a2. i would from the m11, not sure about m1. but it is a lot quieter coming in to london this way.

I think you’re probably right there m8, long way round but most likely quicker in the long run.

mark croft:

I don’t think the trailers going to be that big m8 :wink:

dave:

mark croft:

thats a heavy wagon n drag :wink:

at least one has to be able to do anything abnormal size and weight,i’am almost sure its southwark bridge,but will find the book.

Tower Bridge would be easiest but is only 18t

unless you drive like green flag and fly the bridge :laughing:

8wheels

Thx mate your right there you do have to go to southwark and double back,sorry tacho genuine mistake.

Thanks for the replies.
dafdave, no problem m8, I appreciate the help.

The route suggested by 8wheels doesn’t look too bad but I wonder if it would be as good to go straight down the A10 from the M25 and head for Lower Thames Street that way, or is the A10 likely to get congested ?.

A10 does get congested and has a 7.5t bridge on it at Hackney.

It’s not signed until it’s too late however, maybe it’s OK now and it’s an errant sign but best avoided.

tachograph:
Thanks for the replies.
dafdave, no problem m8, I appreciate the help.

The route suggested by 8wheels doesn’t look too bad but I wonder if it would be as good to go straight down the A10 from the M25 and head for Lower Thames Street that way, or is the A10 likely to get congested ?.

the last time i went all the way down on the a10 there was loads of roadworks (about 6 weeks ago).

southwark bridge ive been over loads of times and theres no weight limit posted.

according to TRUCK DRIVERS HANDBOOK, by David Soye,section 3.2 getting across london by bridge gives these limits:
albert bridge - no commercials
battersea - 32.5 tonnes
chelsea - 32.5 t
chertsey 32.5 t
chiswick (a316) - 254 t
hammersmith(a306) - 12.2t
hampton court(a309) - 264t
kew bridge (a205) - 81.3t
kingston (a308) -81.3t
lambeth (a3203) - 61 t
london (a3) no limit
putney (a219) - 32.5t
richmond (a305) - 32.5t
southwark (a300) - 101.6t
staines (a308) - 32.5t
tower (a100) - 5.08t unladen now 18t?
twickenham (a316) - 254t
vauxhall (a202) - 71.1t
walton (a244) - 32.5t
wandsworth (a217) - 101.6t
waterloo (a301) - 81.3t
westminster (a302) - 15.2t

dartford tunnel
max height 16ft
max spd 40mph
min spd 10mph
tolls £1.00 to £3.20?

rotherhithe tunnel
max hgt 14.9in
max wth 7.6in
max lenth : 2 axle lorry 8.4m 27ft.6in
: 3/4 axle 9.1m 30ft
:artic 20.2m 60ft

woolwich ferry
max hgt 4.3m 14ft
max wdth 2.3m 7ft6 in (now 8ft?)
max lnth 13.4m 44ft (now 55ft?)
max weight 4.1t per wheel
8.1t per axle (now updated to todays max?)
open mon - sat 0600 -22.30
sun 0700 - 22.00
some of the above will have been changed to todays sizes and weights,some will apply today.

now that should be a sticky somewhere. very handy :wink: