Best route, Ringwood to Orcop?

Havnt been given any exact addresses but told this is where im going tomorrow, not really sure of what route in an artic without taking the ■■■■ to much with milage and time so any advise would be great.

Thanks.

I wouldn’t bother trying to head across country from Ringwood up to the M4. You might cut out a few miles but you’ll burn more fuel and probably take more time.

I would go A31/M27/M3/A34/M4/A417/A40/A49 and then head across country from there.

The other option would be to head over the bridge and up the A449 heading cross country from Monmouth but that’s going to cost in both time and toll.

Cheers
Neilf

Saaamon:
Havnt been given any exact addresses but told this is where im going tomorrow, not really sure of what route in an artic without taking the ■■■■ to much with milage and time so any advise would be great.

Thanks.

I’d go back along the A31 then pick up the M27, onto the M3. Off on the A34 up to the M4 then off at Junction 15 and follow the A417 via Cirencester then Gloucester. Then take the A40 to Ross on Wye, followed by A49 towards Hereford, baring in mind you leave that quite a few miles before Hereford.

neilf:
I wouldn’t bother trying to head across country from Ringwood up to the M4. You might cut out a few miles but you’ll burn more fuel and probably take more time.

I would go A31/M27/M3/A34/M4/A417/A40/A49 and then head across country from there.

The other option would be to head over the bridge and up the A449 heading cross country from Monmouth but that’s going to cost in both time and toll.

Cheers
Neilf

Thats great thanks! Thats the kind of route i had in mind as well but it does add a few extra miles and wanted to make sure i wasnt missing a trick.

Thanks again.

justtickingover:
I’d go back along the A31 then pick up the M27, onto the M3. Off on the A34 up to the M4 then off at Junction 15 and follow the A417 via Cirencester then Gloucester. Then take the A40 to Ross on Wye, followed by A49 towards Hereford, baring in mind you leave that quite a few miles before Hereford.

Thanks for that. Not sure where abouts in orcop im going cant really see any obvious industrial areas on google maps.

It’s a nice drive up the A449 & A40 and then off in the Hereford direction.

Saaamon:
Thanks for that. Not sure where abouts in orcop im going cant really see any obvious industrial areas on google maps.

We have got 5 poultry farms around Orcop,there is a large scrap yard in the area…apart from that it’s mainly farms :confused:

washy jnr:

Saaamon:

We have got 5 poultry farms around Orcop,there is a large scrap yard in the area…apart from that it’s mainly farms :confused:

I noticed the farms and what i think was the scrap yard you to mention but these arent places i normally go, typically i visit small industrial estates, the odd rdc and garden centres lol… What i was getting at was its looks to be in the middle of nowhere lol.

Saaamon:

washy jnr:

Saaamon:

I noticed the farms and what i think was the scrap yard you to mention but these arent places i normally go, typically i visit small industrial estates, the odd rdc and garden centres lol… What i was getting at was its looks to be in the middle of nowhere lol.

It is the middle of nowhere…there is a large garden centre on the A49 just before you get to the Orcop turn,are you delivering or collecting??

washy jnr:

Saaamon:

washy jnr:

Saaamon:

It is the middle of nowhere…there is a large garden centre on the A49 just before you get to the Orcop turn,are you delivering or collecting??

Will be delivering.

Depending on the height you are running at you can go Ringwood, Salisbury, Warminster, Bath, onto the M4 at J18 but it can be a slow and tight run. It is less miles that way but would be much more stressfree and just as economic going M27, M3, A34 etc.

Where are you loading out of in Ringwood, twas there myself about an hour ago!

jdc:
Depending on the height you are running at you can go Ringwood, Salisbury, Warminster, Bath, onto the M4 at J18 but it can be a slow and tight run. It is less miles that way but would be much more stressfree and just as economic going M27, M3, A34 etc.

About 4.1m. I think its around 20miles extra as oposed to the route you suggest going off google, but with the stop start and lack of constant speed as you say makes more sense to go the long way round. Not sure until i get the trailer off the dock in the morning.

Saaamon:

jdc:

About 4.1m. I think its around 20miles extra as oposed to the route you suggest going off google, but with the stop start and lack of constant speed as you say makes more sense to go the long way round. Not sure until i get the trailer off the dock in the morning.

You’ll be fine at Wilton 4.1m, go Warminster, Trowbridge, Bath and give the bridge spotters a wave at Bradford-on-avon.

Seriously though I would go that route as it’s a more interesting drive. Still go Warminster, Trowbridge but take the HGV route round Staverton to avoid the BOA bridge. You don’t want to go Warminster - Bath as it jams badly round the London road in Bath. Only potential downside is VOSA checkpoint jn 18.

Went m27, m3, a34, a419, a40. Didnt manage to tip in orcop as i spent 30mins with vosa discussing my regular overspeeding, opps lol.

Saaamon:
Went m27, m3, a34, a419, a40. Didnt manage to tip in orcop as i spent 30mins with vosa discussing my regular overspeeding, opps lol.

What did they say about that mate?? I’m always letting her go :laughing:

Saaamon:

did you tell him speed limit on m/way is 60mph.
:smiley:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Saaamon:

What did they say about that mate?? I’m always letting her go :laughing:

I was pulled on the a34 (sutton scotney services?) they had their inspection van there so said hello the guy who stopped me then a women came out jumped in the cab as i was having a ■■■ and started downloading tacho, i had the tacho warning light showing on the dash as i’d just been tanking it down the hills from southampton then she brought up the overspeeding thing then started doing print outs showing all my overspeeding events (some showed i’d been doing 70 odd) then did the ones showing where the limiter had been calibrated as i think she thought it was broken, she basically just said that the limiter is set to 56 so that is the max speed i should be going, i did mention that i thought you was allowed to let it run over and she said yes but i’d been letting it run over for long periods. I wasnt going to argue with her to much because she still hadnt checked my hours at this point… I thought they only checked the last 28days on the tacho but i was asked why i put my card in whilst driving and that was at the start of the year so something to remember!

Saaamon:
…but i was asked why i put my card in whilst driving…

How did you explain that one? :smiley:

Contraflow:

Saaamon:
…but i was asked why i put my card in whilst driving…

How did you explain that one? :smiley:

Told her i woke up to a parking ticket and started driving then realised i forgot to put it in… We then got on the subject of print outs, or lack of them lol…

How did you score on the patented Trucknet ‘attitude test’? I doubt pointing out the legal limit is 60 on a motorway would help though, maybe you should have told her you never used to go over 56mph until you heard it was ok when on a DCPC module.

There’s also another potential VOSA checkpoint on that route at jn 15 M4 worth exiting in the outside lane to reduce the chance of being pulled in.