Best route Aberdeen to Skye

Looking for advice please. What is the route I should take with an artic from Aberdeen to Skye? I have a Snooper satnav but would prefer advice from someone who has done the route.
How long will it approx.take ?
Thanks in advance

Hi There,

Take the A96 aberdeen to Inverness, about 2.5 to 3hrs delending on traffic especially through Elgin. There is a low bridge on this route, think it is 14 ft 9 but don’t quote me, you will get a standard trailer under the centre but anything higher you may need to take the no bridge detour around Old Meldrum so add time for that.

Once at Inverness, take the A82 Fort William road and at Invermoriston along the edge of Loch Ness you turn off to Skye, can’t recall the A road number, there is only one road so you can’t go wrong. This will take you to the Skye Bridge at Kyle, time to get there is about 2.25 hours. From the bridge Portree is about 45 mins Uig an hour. Skye is a big place so unless you can say where you are going thats about the best info I have for you.

It may take you 20 mins to get through Inverness depending on time of day.

Skye road is great country driving, great views and watch out for the deer!

Much appreciated. I don’t get final destination until the morning, all they told me today was Skye.

Its not only the deer but the tourists at 20mph admiring the view :confused:

Marcelleke:
Much appreciated. I don’t get final destination until the morning, all they told me today was Skye.

The bridge at Inverurie on the A96 is marked up at somthing like 14 foot 6 inch but the arch section is about 15 foot as we can get under with our 14 foot 11 trailers. I think they mark it up like that because it’s on an s bend at some lights and you have to get it Bob on to go through it following the road markings especially if you have a trailer height such as ours that just get under.
Oh and by the way you lucky bleeder going up there. It’s a place I’d love to go :imp: :smiley:

Wont be a problem much longer as they have finally started on a bypass for the low bridge

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Marcelleke:

The bridge at Inverurie on the A96 is marked up at somthing like 14 foot 6 inch but the arch section is about 15 foot as we can get under with our 14 foot 11 trailers. I think they mark it up like that because it’s on an s bend at some lights and you have to get it Bob on to go through it following the road markings especially if you have a trailer height such as ours that just get under.
Oh and by the way you lucky bleeder going up there. It’s a place I’d love to go :imp: :smiley:

Wayhay, there ya go Gods country, best in the universe :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

teatime:
Its not only the deer but the tourists at 20mph admiring the view :confused:

Can’t blame them! Superb views, superb place. I was there last June and would love to go back, but it’s just a bit too far away to do again. Peak District or N York moors this year - bit nearer!

raymundo:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Marcelleke:

Wayhay, there ya go Gods country, best in the universe :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I’ve been up Scotch Raymundo. All the way up to Thurso and John O Groats up North East Scotland and Achfary up the North West side.
Just not upto Sky or around Fort William and Oban. The best part of the UK if you ask me… Well apart from the epicentre that is Yorkshire :wink: :smiley:

flippermaj:
Invermoriston along the edge of Loch Ness you turn off to Skye, can’t recall the A road number, there is only one road so you can’t go wrong.

+1 on that route. A road mentioned above is A887, then A87 all the way.

the A887 is single track for maybe 5 miles not a problem can see for miles.

go up that way a lot all through the winter. went fort william inverness on thurs noticed huge difference in traffic crawling tourists.

lovely drive espec the A87

i love how all the chips in portree cook everything in drippin love the chips there. big car park right in the centre of town if your in or near portree.

Thanks again for the advice and the route. You could have warned me of the low flying :smiley: aircraft from Lossiemouth, 2 came over low and I mean low ., and the low flying timber haulers. :wink: One who took about a foot of my side of the road which did not leave much room for error.
The run was up to Staffin, the last 16 miles all on single track and I was stuck behind 2 Dutch motorhomes, 15mph, 20mph 15 mph.

Skye is stunning , really is.