Best phone tariff for UK and Euro long haul truckers

Who are people with? Is there one that suits being based in either place? At the mo on 02 and its just not measuring out. Just got a recent bill and something must have changed on my tariff as it was ridiculous.

I would rather a sensible up front monthly cost than surprise figures at the end of the month.

Thanks

i find o2 great, 50p for an hour phone call when you abroad thats to make and receive. also data that isn’t capped as long as you don’t take the mickey .alot of our lads are on vodafone though

Sounds like your on O2 personal I’m on O2 business and its a much better deal

Vodafone so far is the best all round deal. £3 a day throughout Europe to use your phone as if you’re at home. I drive round Europe streaming Radio 4. Others do deals for calls and texts and Three do it free in certain countries but if you want everything in any country then £3 a day is buttons as far as I’m concerned

I am with Vodafone and have been for many years. £3/day allows me to make and receive calls, texts and data anywhere in Europe.

Skodafone’s euro traveller deal is the only reason I’m still with them.
Their network has gone down hill in the UK IMHO, to the point that I’d change if I was only in the UK, but their Euro traveller deal of £3 per day (and most years it drops to £2 per day during the summer holiday periods) means I can use my phone abroad just the same as if I was in the UK.
As many calls, texts and data as I want for only £3 per day.
It makes a big difference when I spend weeks at a time abroad.
I don’t think any other UK network comes close on price.

Same as Pendragon. The day I stop doing euro work is the day I change operators. Awful in UK. I use lots of data so I’ve an EE WiFi hotspot for the UK and save my Vodafone allowance for Europe

I’ll echo the sentiments of the last couple of posters re Vodafones Eurotraveller deal, spot on imo. With regards to the UK coverage I was on the point of leaving them until I had an “I wonder?” moment, I changed sims from the one on the left and jump started the one on the right. No problems with their UK coverage now imo. Smartphones pah!

image.jpg

the maoster:
I’ll echo the sentiments of the last couple of posters re Vodafones Eurotraveller deal, spot on imo. With regards to the UK coverage I was on the point of leaving them until I had an “I wonder?” moment, I changed sims from the one on the left and jump started the one on the right. No problems with their UK coverage now imo. Smartphones pah!

LOL have to agree smart phones are anything but. Ask in the shop for a phone to make a phonecall and the shop assistant looks at you like you have two heads

Thank you to all that have replied.

Definitely food for thought.

Thanks again.

Please, please,please someone give me a definative run down on Vodaphone’s £3 a day scam.
I was under the impression that I could stream data (listen to the BBC app), ring/text any number, English or French ( I also pay £13 extra a month for this or something like). Then when I get a whopper £90 monthly bill they say “Oh no, only same costs to ring /text English numbers from abroad, not foreign numbers, Certainly pay through the nose for streaming radio apps or Spotify.”
Also told by Vodaphone shop to buy a French sim for France as the ultimate cheap way of calls to Fench numbers, but it would be a different number to my normal one, plus I’d have to buy a crap smart phone to be able to stream the radio etc.
Confused of Kempston…

I think the calls relate to calls to uk pr calls in coming to you from uk. Not sure on the data most likely streaming music would be covered as I would think netflux wouldn’t be as there classed as heavy usage. Apps.

Or buy a dual sim phone on up your Spotify account to dowload rather than stream if your on windows phone just use xbox music

jayseabea:
Please, please,please someone give me a definative run down on Vodaphone’s £3 a day scam.
I was under the impression that I could stream data (listen to the BBC app), ring/text any number, English or French ( I also pay £13 extra a month for this or something like). Then when I get a whopper £90 monthly bill they say “Oh no, only same costs to ring /text English numbers from abroad, not foreign numbers, Certainly pay through the nose for streaming radio apps or Spotify.”
Also told by Vodaphone shop to buy a French sim for France as the ultimate cheap way of calls to Fench numbers, but it would be a different number to my normal one, plus I’d have to buy a crap smart phone to be able to stream the radio etc.
Confused of Kempston…

Its not a scam. You get to use your phone as if you were in the UK, simple. Therefore you can call & text UK numbers as they are included in your minutes, but not international ones. I stream radio all the time when I’m over there, no problems. How many days were you in Europe in the month with the £90 bill? After all 10 days comes to £30, 20 £60 and 30 £90. Quite straightforward if you ask me - if included in your UK plan its included in your £3 a day.

alix776:
I think the calls relate to calls to uk pr calls in coming to you from uk. Not sure on the data most likely streaming music would be covered as I would think netflux wouldn’t be as there classed as heavy usage. Apps.

Or buy a dual sim phone on up your Spotify account to dowload rather than stream if your on windows phone just use xbox music

I watch Netflix in Europe often. No limits on usage just stay within your allowance.

although im on o2 then a lot of poor service is the fault of the phone and not the phone co…if you want a good 2 sim smartphone,then ive bought about 8 of these from family and friends,does everything a galaxy does,plus has a double sim capability for £60 well built and comparable quality to samsung etc. ive had several double sim chinky phones previously and they were garbage,but this is the absolute dogs doodahs for the money.and if you lose it,youve only lost £60 and not £500 uk fleabay stock
ebay.co.uk/itm/5-0-CUBOT-P9- … 2a417575ee theres a few different sellers but all the same stuff.

Good point re. the “how many days were you abroad?”, Luke. It must have been while I was over there for nearly a month. It’s so easy to think…“Ah, it’s only 3 quid!”, but it does build up.

jayseabea:
Good point re. the “how many days were you abroad?”, Luke. It must have been while I was over there for nearly a month. It’s so easy to think…“Ah, it’s only 3 quid!”, but it does build up.

Yup, that’s why I don’t use Vodaphones Eurotraveller. You only pay the £3 for any day you use it, but 1 text will trigger it.
I’m in Europe 3 or 4 days a week, every week, so that’s £9 or £12 on top of my contract every week. That doubles my the bill contract bill.
I use free wi-fi when I can get it and manage without if I can’t. On the odd occasion when I just have to get on-line, I just pay the extra bit, keeping my data usage to the minimum.

Hence why I make the most of it. £3 a day is cheap if you use it accordingly

switchlogic:
Hence why I make the most of it. £3 a day is cheap if you use it accordingly

I agree, I’d do the same if I used it.
I’m just saying be aware, £3 a day mounts up quite quickly. And all it takes is a text or a quick phone call to trigger the £3 charge.
Once you’ve triggered it you may as well fill yer boots, up to your in built contract limits :smiley:

I got fed up with trying to claim my call charges on my expenses so i did a bit of research…

I am now with EE, pay £43 per month for unlimited calls/text from any EU country to any EU country and 10GB of UK only data, only negative is i have to pay for an additional bolt on to make calls from UK to EU (extra £5 per month). the only extra charges i get are for texts to our office in Netherlands

I also have a data sim from a company called Globalgig which is in a portable wifi hotspot, pay £20 per month for 1GB of roaming data all over EU

It all sounds a lot but i was putting in monthly bills of 70-80 quid a month, sometimes over £100, on O2 so i reckon i am better off

Hope this helps