Best pay?

What would be the best paying driving job? Tanker, transporters , heavy haulage ?

Smoggie89:
What would be the best paying driving job? Tanker, transporters , heavy haulage ?

Bin men around here were on upto £12 per hour a good few years ago, don’t know if it’s gone up since then? (On the council) info from a bloke who’d just started, his 1st hgv job, he was on 10ph but would go up the pay scale as he completed nvq’s etc

Blokes on the incident support type trucks around here were on somewhere around 40k a year. Info from a fella I worked with whose dad did it. I can’t remember what he said about the hours worked, but you wouldn’t imagine them to be bonkers!

I do containers at the min , I can live off what I earn but it’s not the best , still young so was wondering what would be the best to get into , I wouldn’t mind transporters but being at the top in windy weather would ■■■■ me up lol, I know it’s not as easy as saying I want to do that but that’s why I’m getting info now , I come to work to earn money but if you could get a load of job satisfaction then that’s a bonus

I would imagine anything which involves the carriage of dangerous goods?

Transporters and tankers always were paid well, but recent years has seen the differentials eroded in some, not all, some tanker jobs now paying quite poorly.

Generally, where there is a good union presence the Ts and Gs will be good, regardless of the work type, well unionised tranporter and tanker jobs are still usually the best paid…BUT, remember most transporter jobs the pay schemes are complicated and you don’t get paid £40k plus to sit on your arse drinking tea, you usually earn every penny and then some…unless you happen to be the shop steward or his mate/son/brother/cohort… :smiling_imp:

Probably the most dangerous ADR classes, would make sense. Liquid fuel drivers are on£15.50 basic up my way, will be getting my ADR in the next year and been advised to stay away from liquid and try for gas tankers. ■■ nose what their on though?

Edit; Wtf it lets me post on this thread but unable to reply to a little ■■■■ munch on another, keep getting error unable to access post.php…

I just started on tankers in my local area doing domestic heating oil & red diesel for farms , basic of £32k plus overtime, interesting job , hard work some days , easy others , its a job that can’t be rushed enjoying it so far …

Remember you will only get paid what the boss is willing to pay , just because its a dangerous job or requires more work involved doesn’t mean the pay will be great , if you have a good boss who appreciates what you do & is prepared to pay for it you will earn a good wage , if you get a C U Next Tuesday then it won’t be very well paid as his attitude will be you can be replaced …

Have a chat with drivers doing the job your interested in & ask what they’re like …drivers don’t bite , well most of them …

supermarket work, maybe.

salary
pension
sick pay
money off shopping

kemaro:
I just started on tankers in my local area doing domestic heating oil & red diesel for farms , basic of £32k plus overtime, interesting job , hard work some days , easy others , its a job that can’t be rushed enjoying it so far …

That’s over £15 p/h basic :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Who do you work for fella? Cos the drivers up here are on about £10 p/h for the same job!! I did it myself for some years but never was the pay as good as yours! :confused:

Supermarkets, odd but sensible hours, enhancements for weekends and nights and 50% more after contracted hours, good pension free shares staff discounts on shopping mobile phones ETC sick pay to name a few.

ADR work was once the best payers, all out to contract now but still a good earner, general haulage is ****** best to avoid anything that’s run for profit.

Cheers for replies I hear morrisons are 1 of the better to work for

I’ve just started on tankers this week, training on caustic soda before they move me on to other burny substances, really interesting job and the money’s fab

Smoggie89:

In my opinion it would be supermarket drivers or trolley dollies as they’re called sometimes.

anyone on Ford truckfleet! I worked on the production line for Ford and i was on £37k!

madiganzo:
I’ve just started on tankers this week, training on caustic soda before they move me on to other burny substances, really interesting job and the money’s fab

So what have you learned about Caustic Soda so far then? Do they give you the rundown of all the different stuff you’ll be carrying?

“Burny” = burns the skin, like say, Nitric or Sulphuric acid concentrated.

“Caustic” = doesn’t “burn” per se, but dissolves your fat… When you feel your skin getting “soapy” you’re actually washing your hands with the soap made out your own hands by this point. :open_mouth:

The only substance I know of that can be in both categories at once is Liquid Phosphorous (tanker above 44 degrees) - but I’ve never heard of that in this country…

This stuff catches fire on exposure to air, dissolves into fat (on skin contact) to form complex poisons in the skin, burning it’s way deeper as it does so. Clouds of smoke are also toxic if inhaled. The smoke of your burning body is also toxic if inhaled. You can’t put the fire out by chucking anything over it, because as soon as the air gets back to it, the stuff will self-ignite all over again…

Industrially, liquid phosphorous is easy to make, as is Caustic Soda:-
Caustic Soda can be made industrially by running a current through seawater.
Yellow/White Phosphorous can be made by boiling down, and distilling out one’s own ■■■■.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/14304.html

This of course gives a whole new meaning to expressions like “Wouldn’t give him the steam off my ■■■■” or “this really boils my ■■■■”. :stuck_out_tongue:

http://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=white+phosphorus&vid=f101131c9b697adf92268d3757b8163d&l=6%3A30&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DV.4564056797349926%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DOke8GinWDG8&■■■=Elementary+Productions%3A+White+Phosphorus&c=4&sigr=11a3sq79r&sigt=11848jp9d&ct=p&age=0&fr=yfp-t-702&tt=b