Best country in Europe

switchlogic:

welshboyinspain:

switchlogic:
Norway. Or of course Wales, but then that’s not technically a country.

excuse me old chap but Wales is technically a country it just happens to be occupied by another one :laughing: :laughing:

It’s not, it’s a Principality. How’s that for pedantry.

A Principality is still a type of country, ie a region legally identified as a distinct entity in political geography.

How’s THAT for pedantry :wink: :smiley:

All good except France

Zetorpilot:

switchlogic:

welshboyinspain:

switchlogic:

excuse me old chap but Wales is technically a country it just happens to be occupied by another one :laughing: :laughing:

A Principality is still a type of country, ie a region legally identified as a distinct entity in political geography.

A distinct entity doesn’t make a country. Whippet worshipping Yorkshire is a distinct entity yet it’s not a country, no matter how much the flat caps wish it was :wink:

Italy, food, scenery, attitude, I love the place :sunglasses:

hutpik:
Hi all.I think that one of my favourite countries for driving must be Norway because of the relaxed mentality of the people,even in the winter.The cost,and quality of food is the only down side.
But i think at the top of my list must be Turkey[it’s almost Europe],It’s such a wonderful country,food people,culture and landscape all combine to make it something special.Mike

What were you smoking on that trip?

Hi Ton.I’m a non smoker.The statement was a personal opinion,but in all the years that i drove to,and through Turkey i still think it’s a magical country.Yes we all had problems there.But i have a lot of time for the Turkish people in general[forget the police,they were no worse than any other country,Russia,or France,for example]Ialways had good food,the roads were no worse than many European countries at that time.My wife was always treated with respect,and you can’t say that Istanbul is not a marvellous city to lose a few days in.The winters were no worse than Scandinavia or Russia. You break down and almost any litttle’‘hole in the wall’'garage could and would help you.The Turkish drivers are some of the most helpful you could wish to meet.The history and culture is astounding.What’s not to like.Mike

just found this especially for switchlogic
Wales came into existence as a country in its own right when Henry VIII’s Act of Union in 1536 “incorporated, united and annexed the Dominion, Principality and Country of Wales” to England. The name Wales comes from the Anglo-Saxon term waleas, meaning “foreigner.” In contrast, the Welsh name for Wales is Cymru, meaning “friend.”
taken from this
ltbs.org/magazine/LTBSVol019_16-17.pdf
or this one,
The Principality of Wales as part of Great Britain is not a region, as is a common misconception internationally. Wales is a country in its own right, as proudly distinct in the British Isles as Scotland and England and it is now gaining equal recognition on the world stage.
from here,
myguidebritain.com/guide-to-britain

welshboyinspain:
just found this especially for switchlogic
Wales came into existence as a country in its own right when Henry VIII’s Act of Union in 1536 “incorporated, united and annexed the Dominion, Principality and Country of Wales” to England. The name Wales comes from the Anglo-Saxon term waleas, meaning “foreigner.” In contrast, the Welsh name for Wales is Cymru, meaning “friend.”
taken from this
ltbs.org/magazine/LTBSVol019_16-17.pdf
or this one,
The Principality of Wales as part of Great Britain is not a region, as is a common misconception internationally. Wales is a country in its own right, as proudly distinct in the British Isles as Scotland and England and it is now gaining equal recognition on the world stage.
from here,
myguidebritain.com/guide-to-britain

So in other words it only became a country after union therefore it never really was a real country, ever. :wink:

That’s just tourism advertising, it’s just another region really…you can always find something on the interwebs that will say what you want it to.

ever the pessimist luke, I’d have thought you’d be more patriotic living where you do :stuck_out_tongue:

welshboyinspain:
ever the pessimist luke, I’d have thought you’d be more patriotic living where you do :stuck_out_tongue:

Well they say the most patriotic people are the ones that live in another country. I love Wales for what it is, couldn’t care less whether it be a principality, a country or a region. It makes no difference to me. It’ll never be an independent country.

switchlogic:

welshboyinspain:

switchlogic:

Yup, Principality because it’s got a Prince, whereas England is a country because it’s full of… :smiling_imp:

The Sarge:
Yup, Principality because it’s got a Prince, whereas England is a country because it’s full of… :smiling_imp:

No, Wales used to have a prince, until Edward I had his head cut off in 1282 :wink:

The Sarge:

switchlogic:

welshboyinspain:

switchlogic:

Isn’t England a Queenery

switchlogic:

Zetorpilot:

switchlogic:

welshboyinspain:

switchlogic:

A distinct entity doesn’t make a country. Whippet worshipping Yorkshire is a distinct entity yet it’s not a country, no matter how much the flat caps wish it was :wink:

All sparrows are birds, and yet not all birds are sparrows.

I see the difficulty though, and arriving at a useable, concise definition of something like a country is a pretty intractable problem given the diverse nature of those entities that we understand as being countries.

As to your remark about England being a Queenery, well, that was a perfect cross in front of the goal mouth, but I’ll let someone else head that one in. :laughing:

Looking back -France. Food ,people ,scenery, & always room to park.- but you gotta speaka bitta French.

harry:
Looking back -France. Food ,people ,scenery, & always room to park.- but you gotta speaka bitta French.

Like you say, looking back… try to find anywhere to park on the A9 between Narbonne and Montpelier after eight in the evening nowadays, even the forecourts are jammed solid

~ Craig