Best cell phone to buy

hi i am just wondering does anyone know what is the best cell phone for use in Canada and the U.S? would it be better to buy a pay as you go in the states for down there or would it be better to get one up here in Canada which could be used in the US aswell, any answers would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance Tillymint :smiley:

Canadian phones are a rip off, they cost an absolute fortune, if you’re in the US most of the time get a US phone, Verizon will give you a contract with a Canadian address now, as long as you pass a Canadian credit check, if you want a pay as you go, you can get a Verizon one for $25 in any Walmart in the USA, they’re not that bad, but very expensive to use in Canada & they won’t work at all in Alberta :wink:

The only downside to the Verizon phone is i could do with a bigger battery as Verizon to verizon calls are free if both phones are in the US newmercman will back me on this, Rhther Glen VA to Hagerstown MD :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Me and a mate have 2 phones on the same plan we get 2000 mins a month between us + 1000 after 9pm + 1000 weekend + unlimited text and as i said Verizon to Verizon is free in the US, if i am in Canada calls come off the mins we get on the plan and that costs us $135 per month between us and our boss pays half of that. Avoid Canadian phones like the plauge i had freedom north america plan with MTS 2000 mins a month + unlimited text with no roaming charges for $195 a month then just changed the text plan without any notice my last bill was for $960 for the month :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: 2 pic text i sent while in the US came to $305 and 3 pic text i recived while in Canada was $97 I got the bill down to $305 in the end ($101 was the home phone) after refusing to pay it as theyd changed the contract and not me,
then rang em again the next day to change my plan to $25 a month and give the wife the phone as theres still 12 months contract left.
You have been warned even if it takes you a little while to sort a USA phone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don`t rush into a Canadian phone plan when you get here.

Depends where you are going to live.We’re in Saskatchewan and use Sasktel,reception almost everywhere,free phones,evenings and weekends free,calls to and from another Sasktel phone free,and for 10 bucks a month extra can call anywhere in North America without long distance charges.Average monthly bill for me and my wife is $90can for BOTH of us,not each.Used to be with Fido but reception was dreadful unless in a city.

nianiamh:
The only downside to the Verizon phone is i could do with a bigger battery as Verizon to verizon calls are free if both phones are in the US newmercman will back me on this, Rhther Glen VA to Hagerstown MD :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Who needs a CB :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing:

thanks guys, we live in Manitoba,hubby just gone back to trucking had a phone before but it was virgin mobile and he said never again!! i have heard that verizon are good enough for US, so maybe next time he is there he will look for one, we have a phone card with mts which is ok but now the phone bills are going to be big not the usual $45!!
thanks again and safe driving to you all :smiley:

Those MTS chargecards cost a fortune!!! Please be careful. If you want to use prepaid phonecards there is a huge selection. The Bell ones (available usually in Ontario) are the best because they are rechargeable and not expensive to use.

Verizon wanted a $400 deposit from me and some others. I think it depends on certain things and where you go to get it. Maybe Montana would be best as they have no sales tax.

MTS do a long distance plan. 1300 minutes for $135 a month or 2000 for $150 I think. That;`s what I have and the company pay $100 a month towards it.

I like the prepaid phone cards from Canadian Superstore, the $20 ones give you around 600 mins to the UK, last one I bought had $25 on it, must’ve been some kind of special offer, more than welcome though :wink:

Verizon may have changed their policy regarding Canadian residents, I walked into the store in Fargo, they ran a credit check & that was it, no upfront cost at all, except for the phone itself, they have various plans, so they’re likely to have something to suit, whatever your budget, just don’t bother with one of those fancy touch screen qwerty keyboard things, if your fingers are bigger than a 4yr olds you can forget all about sending texts & dialling numbers not in your phonebook :imp: