Best bulk tipping trailer

Hi all you bulk tipping operators out there. In all your operating experience what do you consider is the best all round trailer these days for universal bulk tipping work. have any of you got any experience of Quicksilver plastic liners in tippers as my main work in summer is aggregates, but I need to do Grain, root crops, etc as fill in work.

Many thanks.

Hi, tried most of them and at the moment think the Wilcox is the best deal out there,keep well clear of Weightlifter,had neck, warranty problems with Fruehaufs .The Kelbergs are very well made and pull great although the tailboards are very heavy. Loadliners are great for sticky stuff but add weight which is critical in this sector so I wouldn’t recommend them unless you carry lime or similar.New Wilcox elec sheet,pm weiger saf drum 45k 6 month wait.

olympus624:
Hi all you bulk tipping operators out there. In all your operating experience what do you consider is the best all round trailer these days for universal bulk tipping work. have any of you got any experience of Quicksilver plastic liners in tippers as my main work in summer is aggregates, but I need to do Grain, root crops, etc as fill in work.

Many thanks.

I asked this same question just over a year ago and ended up with a 70yd Fruehauf with Saf discs and PM weigher for just under 35k. Ive had a brake caliper replaced by Saf on warranty and ive just had some paint touched up on various areas of the chassis and axles but apart from that its been a good trailer which is what I would expect.

Weightlifter are in my opinion far too heavy for an industry which is very weight sensitive. Wilcox are a good trailer and I had a price from them but was quoted a 6 month wait for one which put me off. Stas are a very good trailer and light aswell but they are a tad on the pricy side. Never had anything to do with a Kelberg im afraid.

Matt.

TOECUTTER:
New Wilcox elec sheet,pm weiger saf drum 45k 6 month wait.

That seems very pricy for a Wilcox? I was quoted £33,950 for a Wilcox with Merc axles pm weigher and manual sheet only a year ago? Option of electric sheet came in at £2650.

Matt.

Blimey
!Those wilcoxs need to be summin special at that price!

Same spec frehauf plank sider step frame, saf axles, daw barn elec sheet
Front lift, tool box, blue tooth weigher, latest durabrite alloys was £38200 in September
From Roy humphreys and he always has trailers in stock
Newtons similar price aswell.
If I was to buy another and ordered it would pay extra for pm weigher
The mx they come with is crap!
Mine is 70 yard and weighs around 6700 kilos

It horses for courses really ,you can’t really say a body or trailer is too heavy ,A cf may be ideal for something’s but a Wilcox really is the best all rounder ,just look how long they last ,you still see the odd seadyke around ,the cost and waiting list of Wilcox speaks for its self ,just look how many Wilcox bodies Clarkes and waters have ,I think they have 10 mm floors in theirs .

Dan Punchard:
It horses for courses really ,you can’t really say a body or trailer is too heavy ,A cf may be ideal for something’s but a Wilcox really is the best all rounder ,just look how long they last ,you still see the odd seadyke around ,the cost and waiting list of Wilcox speaks for its self ,just look how many Wilcox bodies Clarkes and waters have ,I think they have 10 mm floors in theirs .

I have a1996 Wilcox still in every day use
Grossed more money last week than our 2013 and 2014 trailers

We had a weightlifter once the earlier style with round profile at the bottom ,every upright cracked at the bottom ,the front corners cracked on top and it was constantly cracking and breaking up on the chassis by the ram ,the best body we had was made by Swadlincote bodies ,a straight frame on AHP chassis ,a10 mm floor with 6 mm sides ,6 inch runners with 6 inch gaps between on the bottom and wider than normal gaps on the uprights ,a brilliant body .carried pig iron ,small scrap bales ,and 4-6 inch limestone no problem and the odd load of baled cars and still carried 26,500 tonnes at 40 tonnes on 5 axles .

Many thanks all of you. I’m running two Kelberg trailers at the moment, but T100 aggregate trailer, so this is the problem. I would keep my latest trailer (2012) but swap in the 2007 for a bulker. I know Kelberg do a bulk trailer but don’t know much about it. I’m pleased with the Kelbergs I have, an excellent trailer for the aggregate job. It seems from your experience that the Wilcox is a popular choice for the bulk job. do they do a plank sider or is the more traditional rib sider stronger or better? Your opinion :slight_smile: have been helpful so far. thank you.

Regards.

Bloke I have been driving for has a combination of Wilcox and Fruehauf and on a combination of SAF and Mercedes axles. Personal preference has been a one year old Fruehauf on Mercedes axles, rib sides, Scania Highline auto on the front and I can take 29,500 at 44. Plus this particular one doesn’t pick its front axle up so I can get into places slightly easier than the others, but just personal preference.

From my own personal experience the rib sided trailers tend to be about 500 - 1000 kg lighter than the panel sided trailers.

Another little thing that I have noticed is that the Wilcox units tend to tip and drop quicker than the Fruehaufs, whether that is down to the condition of the PTO on the tractor units, I don’t know but it means you can get out of the way quicker when others are waiting to tip.

xfmatt:

TOECUTTER:

That seems very pricy for a Wilcox? I was quoted £33,950 for a Wilcox with Merc axles pm weigher and manual sheet only a year ago? Option of electric sheet came in at £2650.

Matt.

hi, 38k less vat, increase of nearly 2k this yr cos of sideguards,rear underun n type approval ■■■■■■■■■■ factory opening very soon to ■■■■■ the waiting list.

Nick channer:
Blimey
!Those wilcoxs need to be summin special at that price!

Same spec frehauf plank sider step frame, saf axles, daw barn elec sheet
Front lift, tool box, blue tooth weigher, latest durabrite alloys was £38200 in September
From Roy humphreys and he always has trailers in stock
Newtons similar price aswell.
If I was to buy another and ordered it would pay extra for pm weigher
The mx they come with is crap!
Mine is 70 yard and weighs around 6700 kilos

those MX cant be as bad as they used to be surely pain in the ar*e

TOECUTTER:

xfmatt:

TOECUTTER:

Matt.

hi, 38k less vat, increase of nearly 2k this yr cos of sideguards,rear underun n type approval [zb]!,new factory opening very soon to ■■■■■ the waiting list.

The quote i had included the side rails, underrun and type approval at £33950.

Scanner102:
Bloke I have been driving for has a combination of Wilcox and Fruehauf and on a combination of SAF and Mercedes axles. Personal preference has been a one year old Fruehauf on Mercedes axles, rib sides, Scania Highline auto on the front and I can take 29,500 at 44. Plus this particular one doesn’t pick its front axle up so I can get into places slightly easier than the others, but just personal preference.

From my own personal experience the rib sided trailers tend to be about 500 - 1000 kg lighter than the panel sided trailers.

Another little thing that I have noticed is that the Wilcox units tend to tip and drop quicker than the Fruehaufs, whether that is down to the condition of the PTO on the tractor units, I don’t know but it means you can get out of the way quicker when others are waiting to tip.

I think they have thinner rams so they need less oil to push them up. I too would go for the CF with Merc axles and no lift.