Bernard 6 wheeler

I spotted this in a dorset field today looks like a farm sale getting ready.

Here you go chap. :laughing: :laughing: Where abouts in Dorset ■■

Unsual motor, Hub reduction drive axle with a trailing axle, I wonder what it performed like on soft ground, :question: Regards Larry.

it was on the Dorchester to bridport road, just outside bridport on the right hand side, a new gap in the hedge just past the laybye on the right at the bottom of the hill, quite a few tractors in there lined up, still has a French plate on the front, I wonder what its history was,

hotel magnum:
it was on the Dorchester to bridport road, just outside bridport on the right hand side, a new gap in the hedge just past the laybye on the right at the bottom of the hill, quite a few tractors in there lined up, still has a French plate on the front, I wonder what its history was,

Aye like I said a very long wheel base with a trailing rear axle, It may ahve been built for a special purpose etc, . It would be nice if someone could come up with its full History, One dosnt see much of this old stuff these days, Its of great interest to me in my old aging years retired from the old haulage game, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Im just having a Single Malt Whiskey From Dufftown in a large glass, :wink: :wink: :wink: , Of course I must say It helps me to sleep, But then the good bit is it helps to wake up, When I want a Lilian Gish, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

hotel magnum:

Ok thanks,unusual find chap !

Definitely looks like a Bernard, but how did it end in England?!!! I’ll forward the information to my French friends right now. The cab looks very narrow to me.

Might be going on display at the Dorset steam fair?

Looks very interesting indeed, the history of it will be just as interesting no doubt!

A closer look and a few minutes of research makes it a CA 6 LW, produced from 1945 to 1951; powered by a 105 bhp Gardner 6 LWB engine. The cab must be a special model built for “porte-fers” use, so that long iron rods and bars can be fitted using all the length of the body. Never seen them in the UK, and no longer used in France any more.

You beat me to it, I was going to ask “would it have a Gardner engine?” It will be a Bernard built Gardner under licence, these are supposed to sound a bit different to a Patricroft built Gardner, be interesting to hear it if it still runs.

gingerfold:
You beat me to it, I was going to ask “would it have a Gardner engine?” It will be a Bernard built Gardner under licence, these are supposed to sound a bit different to a Patricroft built Gardner, be interesting to hear it if it still runs.

I believe that Bernard moved the injector pump etc to the opposite side of the engine, presumably for the LHD application?

Pete.

I do not know concerning the pump, but this truck should belong to Nick Baldwin. At least that’s what I gathered on my usual French forum.

The lorry belongs to Nick Baldwin who writes in “Classic and Vintage Commercial Magazine” ,he was living in France and now is in England.