berlin

lads need some help thinking of taking the wife to berlin for the xmas markets and just tried easy jet they quoting 250 quid ! right how long will it take to drive from calais ? and would there be tolls in germany ?

It’s about 15 hours in a truck from Calais IIRC so maybe 10 in a car, Orys is probably the best person to ask, and no tolls for cars.

Dunkirk to Wrocław usually takes me about 11 hours, when I try to do not exceed 80mph due to fuel consumptions, so I would said to Berliner Ring is to be done in 8 hours. Of course it can take more when you got stuck in ruch hour.

I usually leave Glasgow in the evening to have smooth ride through UK, take early morning ferry and then stop for the kip and breakfast in Belgium in the morning to let the rush hours pass. Then you manage to go past Ruhrgebeit before afternoon rush hours and arrive in Berlin in the evening. But if you go from England, it might be worth to plan to start from Callais in the late afternoon, then you can be in Berlin late at night and still have a proper night in the hotel.

As Harry said, no tolls for cars.

Used to drive Berlin to the Calais in 9 hours by car.

Used to drive a truck from Vlissingen (Flushing) to Berlin took me exactly 10 hours that included getting visa at Helmsted this was in 1987 to 1989 when the wall came down

thanks lads 9/10 hours in car with her is making me think easyjet is a quietier option !! we went to bruge markets year before last and was dissapointed, is there any other places you lot would recommend ?

Koln is very good.

Hamburg but without her who must be obeyed.

But don’t go any where near Visserhaven Reperbahn or especially behind the green gates (so I’ve been told) What’s in there anyway ?

raymundo:
But don’t go any where near Visserhaven Reperbahn or especially behind the green gates (so I’ve been told) What’s in there anyway ?

Hahahaha…

Grotty Charlotte (Charlottenburg) used to be the place to go when I was based in Berlin during the 70’s

Yes right about 10 hrs driving includes plenty of breaks from Calais to Berlin

From Calais to Berlin, that you just need to stay on motorway all time along to Berlin - Easy run but be beware traffic at Antwerp, Ruhr Area (Duisburg, Essen & Dortmund Area) normally at rush hours would be nightmare.

No toll for car

you would stop halfway for break at big services station in Helmstedt / Marienborn, this place used to be old DDR Borders Area and there got a big museum (3 floors) about old DDR borders history - It is very interesting but most of them speak & write text in museum but it is free admission - It is worth to visit there if you go to Berlin or East

stringy:
Grotty Charlotte (Charlottenburg) used to be the place to go when I was based in Berlin during the 70’s

Is that the place with the bath on stage :smiley:

urban859:

stringy:

The glass “diving” bath ?

Simon:

urban859:

stringy:

The glass “diving” bath ?

That’s the one :smiley:

Brussels and Gent markets are both nice. Usually pop into Ostend market on way back. Hotels in Gent are reasonably priced. The Gent market is spread out into 3 different squares and the shops and bars are good also. Brussels I found was a bit too busy but hotels still reasonable at weekend as all the E.U wallah’s bugger off home at the weekend and thay are quiet

Try Ryan air for flights or different days to fly as well.

Mid week cheaper