Benton Brothers

Hello.
Does anyone work or have worked for Benton Brothers in Immingham? I’m looking to get a little info. I’ve seen the trucks around my local area and I’ve noticed that they are transporting containers. I don’t have a massive amount of experiance and are looking for a company where I can build my confidence up. Perhaps delivering to the same places doing the same runs. Nights out are difficult for me at the moment and I’m looking for day work where I’m home in the evening. Would they be a good company for me to approach and what should I expect when discussing pay?

Thanks for looking.

Regards Andrew.

I’ve never worked for Benton’s mate but their yard is on Rosper Rd on the way to Cobelfret Humber Sea Terminal (HST). Go down there and have a chat with them. I wouldn’t be too hung up about needing to do the same run all the time. If you’re doing different runs to different places then your confidence will grow far more than if you’re just doing the same stuff. Challenge yourself!!

From what I hear the pay isn’t the best (but again, thats second hand info so ask them).

How much experience have you got and who are you running for at the moment. Getting work in Immingham is like shooting fish in a barrell, it’s everywhere.

Exceed / Benhaul
Neil Dowson
Humber Port Logistics
Benton Bros
KBC
Maritime

All do containers out of the port but if you’re happy to pull ferry trailers this opens up:

Immingham Transport
HandTrans
Bring
DSV
DFDS
and a multitude of small hauliers who do subbie work…not doing nights out though, that could be your stumbling block. If no nights out is your stipulation, maybe try agency as they tend to get the shorter days (due to higher hourly rates).

Hope this helps

Hello. Thanks for the reply. I’ve mostly done fridge work and a bit of general haulage. About two years of driving, I’ve only ever done 3 nights out. I have a lot going on in the evening and I’m a carer so it is difficult for me. I’ve tried a few agencies but had really bad experiences so I thought I’d be better off going direct. I’ve also seen some class 1 tipper trucks pottering around Immingham. I’m not driving a truck at the moment, I do road testing in Immingham. Yeah that’s great, thanks for the info. I just thought I’d do a bit of homework first.

Where do the containers in general normally get dillivered to then? I often see the trailers being brought back to the yard with no container on it.

Thanks again.

Regards Andrew.

If you want Benton’s then you’ll need to do nights out. I’ve heard they aren’t on great money.

AndrewECMA:
Hello. Thanks for the reply. I’ve mostly done fridge work and a bit of general haulage. About two years of driving, I’ve only ever done 3 nights out. I have a lot going on in the evening and I’m a carer so it is difficult for me. I’ve tried a few agencies but had really bad experiences so I thought I’d be better off going direct. I’ve also seen some class 1 tipper trucks pottering around Immingham. I’m not driving a truck at the moment, I do road testing in Immingham. Yeah that’s great, thanks for the info. I just thought I’d do a bit of homework first.

Where do the containers in general normally get dillivered to then? I often see the trailers being brought back to the yard with no container on it.

Thanks again.

Regards Andrew.

Container port. Either down by Warehouse 11 or next to Nordic House. Or down by the quayside if they are already on a skelly. There is a lot of tipper work around the port as you get all the grain ships in by the east gate and the coal down by warehouse 10.

Containers can literally be delivered anywhere in the UK but a large percentage are for the M62 corridor or the Midlands.

I think maritime have dedicated day drivers. Their yard is off Manby Rd they share it with Dunwell’s.

If you fancy day fridge work try yearsley’s on Marsden Rd Grimsby, or Quayside on the fish quay.

I’ve done work for two agencies recently mate. Tower and JH Solutions. Never been messed about by either of them and both always seem busy and if you explain your situation I’m sure both will accommodate you (better rate of pay and flexible if you need a day off).

If you’re caring for a family member the rest of the time hats off to you mate. Yearsley’s might be your best bet, easy work and home at night.

Good luck

Hi mate,

Bentons require you to have 12 months continuous driving, and still be driving, before they’ll look at you. Not a bad fleet though.

Immingham Transport are always looking for drivers, again, not a bad fleet.

My honest suggestion is to call Dean at Tower Staff Solutions in Grimsby. He’s a great bloke and looks after his staff. No waffle either, tells it straight.

Pays £9 an hour for class 1 but will guarantee you a good 50 hrs a week if you want it. Most of the companies around GY and Imm use him. It’s a good way of getting your foot in the door of a few places and seeing what they’re about before committing yourself to one company.

ako444:
Containers can literally be delivered anywhere in the UK but a large percentage are for the M62 corridor or the Midlands.

I think maritime have dedicated day drivers. Their yard is off Manby Rd they share it with Dunwell’s.

If you fancy day fridge work try yearsley’s on Marsden Rd Grimsby, or Quayside on the fish quay.

I’ve done work for two agencies recently mate. Tower and JH Solutions. Never been messed about by either of them and both always seem busy and if you explain your situation I’m sure both will accommodate you (better rate of pay and flexible if you need a day off).

If you’re caring for a family member the rest of the time hats off to you mate. Yearsley’s might be your best bet, easy work and home at night.

Good luck

Thanks for that mate. I’ll look into it. I’d like to be earning a decent wage soon. I only know two people regarding truck driving, one of them is a HGV driving inspructor and he seems to think I can earn £600 a week, which would be nice. Might have to do car transporters for that though.

Thanks again.

goshow:
Hi mate,

Bentons require you to have 12 months continuous driving, and still be driving, before they’ll look at you. Not a bad fleet though.

Immingham Transport are always looking for drivers, again, not a bad fleet.

My honest suggestion is to call Dean at Tower Staff Solutions in Grimsby. He’s a great bloke and looks after his staff. No waffle either, tells it straight.

Pays £9 an hour for class 1 but will guarantee you a good 50 hrs a week if you want it. Most of the companies around GY and Imm use him. It’s a good way of getting your foot in the door of a few places and seeing what they’re about before committing yourself to one company.

Ok thanks. I’ll check it out. Yeah that might be the best route for me.
Thanks again.

You can earn 600 a week…But it won’t be take home…Not on day work anyway…That wage will involve getting your hours in & nights out…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ako444:
I’ve never worked for Benton’s mate but their yard is on Rosper Rd on the way to Cobelfret Humber Sea Terminal (HST). Go down there and have a chat with them. I wouldn’t be too hung up about needing to do the same run all the time. If you’re doing different runs to different places then your confidence will grow far more than if you’re just doing the same stuff. Challenge yourself!!

From what I hear the pay isn’t the best (but again, thats second hand info so ask them).

How much experience have you got and who are you running for at the moment. Getting work in Immingham is like shooting fish in a barrell, it’s everywhere.

Exceed / Benhaul
Neil Dowson
Humber Port Logistics
Benton Bros
KBC
Maritime

All do containers out of the port but if you’re happy to pull ferry trailers this opens up:

Immingham Transport
HandTrans
Bring
DSV
DFDS
and a multitude of small hauliers who do subbie work…not doing nights out though, that could be your stumbling block. If no nights out is your stipulation, maybe try agency as they tend to get the shorter days (due to higher hourly rates).

Hope this helps

All very good advice. There`s also North Killingholme Transport (Tippers/Tanks), Abbey Logistics (Tanks), and Hargreaves (Tippers) that do day work on Class 1.

Thank you for that. I’ll check them out. Tippers might be a good route for me. I’ve checked out a few car transporters but no luck there. I’ve been in touch with tower too so see what happens there.

Thanks again guys.