Bend over and adopt the brace position!

Outside of the lalaland that is SE England there is no alternative to road freight they tore up all the railways that might have helped :unamused: so whatever happens itā€™ll have to be moved by road however those vehicles are powered and the end user has to pay one way or another or they donā€™t get their goods.

As to the climate change/CO2 - scientists will come up with the findings that best ensure the continuation of their research grants and politicians will continue to select the findings that best suit their agenda, end of. If you really want to see where the planet is heading have a look back a at least few millennia rather than the blink of an eye that is a couple of hundred years, because that is what they mean when they say ā€˜since records beganā€™

Who else is buying shares in Ambre Solaire? :open_mouth:

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

So there I was, sat in Washington, Tyne & wear, getting tipped. I was sat on the grass in my t shirt, sunglasses on & having a cold drink when I thought ā€œyou know they could be right, maybe this global warming thing is a pile of excrement, those nutty professors have got together & made up a story to frighten us, at the behest of some shadowy government group obviouslyā€. After all, 50 years ago in the first week of November Iā€™d have been up to my pods in snow but, hey ho, what do I know.

BillyHunt:
So there I was, sat in Washington, Tyne & wear, getting tipped. I was sat on the grass in my t shirt, sunglasses on & having a cold drink when I thought ā€œyou know they could be right, maybe this global warming thing is a pile of excrement, those nutty professors have got together & made up a story to frighten us, at the behest of some shadowy government group obviouslyā€. After all, 50 years ago in the first week of November Iā€™d have been up to my pods in snow but, hey ho, what do I know.

Hereā€™s a clue weā€™re an Island surrounded by relatively warm seas with temperatures being dependent on wind direction and CO2 levels donā€™t influence wind directions or anything else for that matter regards temperature.On that note given a southerly wind from the Azores is obviously going to be warmer than a screaming Easterly from Siberia. :unamused:

So how cold do actually want it to be there in November and if temperatures are all about atmospheric CO2 levels how do you explain the difference. :unamused:

timeanddate.com/weather/russia/irkutsk/ext

manalishi:
Itā€™s a little known fact that the entire population of earth could inhabit the state of Texas and enjoy around 6 acres of land to spare but the power ā€˜eliteā€™ need the populace coralled in artificial,sterile enclosures called cities,all the better for controlling purposes.

Not only is it a little-known fact, it is also complete and total ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€¦

Some like to assert that everybody on Earth could be fit into the State of Texas, using logic as follows. The area of Texas is about 262,000 mi2. Dividing this figure by the current human population of 7 billion leaves each person with less than 100 square meters, a small plot the size of a big room about 10 m x 10 m. Sounds plausible enough, right? Without going into the fact that almost half the State is desert, notice we have not allowed for any roads, shopping malls, schools, hospitals, football stadiums, prisons, sewage plants, rivers, lakes, reservoirs, golf courses, parks, and what else?

zo.utexas.edu/courses/Thoc/Texas.html

Harry Monk:

manalishi:
Itā€™s a little known fact that the entire population of earth could inhabit the state of Texas

Not only is it a little-known fact, it is also complete and total ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€¦

:smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing:

Just like the idea that the Earth would be any cooler than Venus at an atmospheric pressure of 92 bar even with only 350 ppm CO2. :wink: :laughing:

Carryfast:

BillyHunt:

Hereā€™s a clue weā€™re an Island surrounded by relatively warm seas with temperatures being dependent on wind direction and CO2 levels donā€™t influence wind directions or anything else for that matter regards temperature.On that note given a southerly wind from the Azores is obviously going to be warmer than a screaming Easterly from Siberia. :unamused:

So how cold do actually want it to be there in November and if temperatures are all about atmospheric CO2 levels how do you explain the difference. :unamused:

I donā€™t have to explain the difference, Iā€™m sure Itll be something to do with Venus or some such pish.
Call me old fashioned but I prefer my winters sort of wintery, you know cold, wet, snow & ice etc, the type of weather we used to get. Now Iā€™m sure there is some perfectly reasonable explanation for the last two years being the warmest on record, the polar caps melting etc but, as a humble driver I wouldnā€™t have a clue why. Do you know why & can you explain it to me please, just try & keep it simple. Oh & no links, I donā€™t bother reading them.

if there all worried about polar bears being hard done to because the polar cap is melting,then surely its actually better for them as there wont be so much snow and ice for them to have to wander about in to catch a seal or a penguin?..personally id think it would be kinder if they just didnā€™t wrap the penguins so tightly in silver paper,but what do I know??..

and before some fanny condescendingly informs me that polar bears and penguins are ar the north and south poles respectively,then ā€¦I knowā€¦smartpants. :bulb:

Harry Monk:

manalishi:
Itā€™s a little known fact that the entire population of earth could inhabit the state of Texas and enjoy around 6 acres of land to spare but the power ā€˜eliteā€™ need the populace coralled in artificial,sterile enclosures called cities,all the better for controlling purposes.

Some like to assert that everybody on Earth could be fit into the State of Texas, using logic as follows. The area of Texas is about 262,000 mi2. Dividing this figure by the current human population of 7 billion leaves each person with less than 100 square meters, a small plot the size of a big room about 10 m x 10 m. Sounds plausible enough, right? Without going into the fact that almost half the State is desert, notice we have not allowed for any roads, shopping malls, schools, hospitals, football stadiums, prisons, sewage plants, rivers, lakes, reservoirs, golf courses, parks, and what else?

zo.utexas.edu/courses/Thoc/Texas.html

The more interesting question is how much area we need to survive in a sustainable manner; There is a study known as Ecological Footprinting that estimates how much land we need to live sustainably. Clearly different lifestyles put different demands on the environment. It is estimated that if you adopt the lifestyle of an American then you would need 8 Global Hectares per person and if you adopted a lifestyle of someone from Bangladesh then you would only need 0.5 Hectares per person to live sustainably.

If all 7.3 billion of us adopted the lifestyle of a typical North American then we would need 4.4 Earths

BillyHunt:

Carryfast:

BillyHunt:

I donā€™t have to explain the difference, Iā€™m sure Itll be something to do with Venus or some such pish.
Call me old fashioned but I prefer my winters sort of wintery, you know cold, wet, snow & ice etc, the type of weather we used to get. Now Iā€™m sure there is some perfectly reasonable explanation for the last two years being the warmest on record, the polar caps melting etc but, as a humble driver I wouldnā€™t have a clue why. Do you know why & can you explain it to me please, just try & keep it simple. Oh & no links, I donā€™t bother reading them.

No surprise you seem to be happy enough to swallow any information which fits the global warmist script.The explanation is simple the zbā€™s are lying and youā€™re prepared to believe them.Although it seems strange why as an obvious believer you think that Saganā€™s findings are ā€˜pishā€™ ( bs ).Probably because of that inconvenient fact that Earth would be no cooler than Venus at 92 bar atmospheric pressure even with a 350 ppm CO2 component in itā€™s atmosphere v Venusā€™ 96%.

Bluey Circles:
The more interesting question is how much area we need to survive in a sustainable manner; There is a study known as Ecological Footprinting that estimates how much land we need to live sustainably. Clearly different lifestyles put different demands on the environment. It is estimated that if you adopt the lifestyle of an American then you would need 8 Global Hectares per person and if you adopted a lifestyle of someone from Bangladesh then you would only need 0.5 Hectares per person to live sustainably.

If all 7.3 billion of us adopted the lifestyle of a typical North American then we would need 4.4 Earths

Shock horror life ainā€™t fair some have more than others and there ainā€™t enough for everyone to live as well as others.Maybe if the average Asian and African was as industrious as the North European ethnic groups and populated their places to suit their resources they could have better lifestyles. :unamused:

Whatā€™s any of that got to do with the bs idea that Earth would be supposedly any cooler than Venus given Venusā€™ atmospheric pressure and Earthā€™s atmospheric composition.

Carryfast:

Bluey Circles:

Shock horror life ainā€™t fair some have more than others and there ainā€™t enough for everyone to live as well as others.Maybe if the average Asian and African was as industrious as the North European ethnic groups and populated their places to suit their resources they could have better lifestyles. :unamused:

Whatā€™s any of that got to do with the bs idea that Earth would be supposedly any cooler than Venus given Venusā€™ atmospheric pressure and Earthā€™s atmospheric composition.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Now we have two experts on how to Google and to copy and paste ! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Carryfast:

Bluey Circles:

Now that is a very interesting concept you have there, ā€œpopulated their places to suit their resourcesā€ UK population 64million, with an estimated 82 million global hectares, therefore to support our profligate lifestyles we would either need to reduce our population down to 17 million, or adopt a lifestyle akin to a Central African country. If there is a good example of a country that lives well beyond its sustainable resources then we are it.

As for Sagan and Venus, you really do need to go back and try to understand what he was saying. He was possibly one of the first to understand the greenhouse effect of CO2, and was possibly the first to suggest if we allow our CO2 levels to rise our surface temperature would also rise.

It would appear he was correct, the concept is well understood now and as such it is possible to put some very rough figures onto temp rise for CO2 rise. If we allow CO2 to reach say, 550ppm then we should see a temperature rise of 2 to 4 degrees. A rise of this nature will in itself not make the earth uninhabitable by any stretch of the imagination, but it will greatly affect our climate. Harvests will fail in some areas and flourish in others, most of humanity will need to migrate, and as we are such a welcoming bunch to other cultures, we will probably wipe our selves out in the mother of all wars - which wonā€™t be a bad thing.

Bluey Circles:
As for Sagan and Venus, you really do need to go back and try to understand what he was saying. He was possibly one of the first to understand the greenhouse effect of CO2, and was possibly the first to suggest if we allow our CO2 levels to rise our surface temperature would also rise.

It would appear he was correct, the concept is well understood now and as such it is possible to put some very rough figures onto temp rise for CO2 rise. If we allow CO2 to reach say, 550ppm then we should see a temperature rise of 2 to 4 degrees.

If Sagan was right then weā€™d obviously expect to see a much cooler surface temperature on Earth than on Venus,or for that matter much cooler temperature on Venus,given equivalent Earth type atmospheric composition and 92 bar atmospheric pressure.In which case as I said feel free to explain the relevant temperatures in either case, based on the composition of Earthā€™s atmosphere not Venusā€™,at the equivalent 92 bar pressure.Bearing in mind the principle of compression ignition in good old fashioned air. :unamused:

IE Saganā€™s bs theory is unarguably saying that if we replace ā€˜the compositionā€™ of Venusā€™ atmosphere with that of Earthā€™s it wouldnā€™t be as hot at the surface.Which,bearing in mind that above equivalent atmospheric pressure figure,is total bollox.

As for the idea of a 2-4 degree increase for an 0.01 % increase in Earthā€™s atmospheric CO2 content that figure is based on exactly what evidence. :unamused:

Bluey Circles:
If we allow CO2 to reach say, 550ppm then we should see a temperature rise of 2 to 4 degrees. A rise of this nature will in itself not make the earth uninhabitable by any stretch of the imagination, but it will greatly affect our climate. Harvests will fail in some areas and flourish in others, most of humanity will need to migrate, and as we are such a welcoming bunch to other cultures, we will probably wipe our selves out in the mother of all wars - which wonā€™t be a bad thing.

always remembering the 2 degree rise cited is mean or average temperature

and also always remembering the last ice age had a mean 3 degree cooler than now .

id say an ice age is a pretty big effect on climate and the environment !

also worth remembering the 2 most important things on our planet are our planet itself and its biodiversity .

i couldnt give 2 hoots if 5 billion people were wiped out tomorrow , but i would be mortified if 5 million bees were

Carryfast:

BillyHunt:

I watched a BBC informational program about this and there is a cold water blob(in rather large terms) in the North Atlantic jet stream which has the ability to make the next few winters for the UK very cold indeed, itā€™s not happened yet but
winter 2016 -2017 and beyond do bear examining and maybe planning for.

All I know for sure is that thereā€™s an awful lot of people around the world making an awful lot of money out of ā€˜climate changeā€™

peterm:
All I know for sure is that thereā€™s an awful lot of people around the world making an awful lot of money out of ā€˜climate changeā€™

I was thinking about introducing a line in CO2 filled double glazing. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Carryfast:

BillyHunt:
Call me old fashioned but I prefer my winters sort of wintery, you know cold, wet, snow & ice etc, the type of weather we used to get. Now Iā€™m sure there is some perfectly reasonable explanation for the last two years being the warmest on record, the polar caps melting etc but, as a humble driver I wouldnā€™t have a clue why. Do you know why & can you explain it to me please, just try & keep it simple. Oh & no links, I donā€™t bother reading them.t

No surprise you seem to be happy enough to swallow any information which fits the global warmist script.The explanation is simple the zbā€™s are lying and youā€™re prepared to believe them.Although it seems strange why as an obvious believer you think that Saganā€™s findings are ā€˜pishā€™ ( bs ).Probably because of that inconvenient fact that Earth would be no cooler than Venus at 92 bar atmospheric pressure even with a 350 ppm CO2 component in itā€™s atmosphere v Venusā€™ 96%.

Did I not say keep it simple? I have absolutely no idea what that last bit of guff is all about, or who this all seeing weather person Sagan is, and I wonā€™t be googling it. I do know I donā€™t live anywhere near Venus, and I know you have a history of picking losers, and I know you think you know everything about everything, I just prefer to believe information from reputable people & not some loon that checks the seaweed in his shed. I know itā€™s warmer now than itā€™s ever been, I donā€™t need anyone to tell me that.

DearBoy:
I watched a BBC informational program about this and there is a cold water blob(in rather large terms) in the North Atlantic jet stream

The problem being that the jet stream is more than 5 miles up in the atmosphere and the North Atlantic is obviously all below sea level.On that note Iā€™d guess that like melting ice in the Polar Summer they are just extrapolating Armageddon from the bleedin obvious that no one would want to go swimming in the sea around Greenland as opposed to Florida. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: