Belly Tanks

What’s the legal position with belly tanks nowadays? Is it completely illegal to have a trailer-mounted fuel tank or just illegal to import fuel across a border with one?

Heard some big mouth in the cafe say if you have over 1400 litres on the whole outfit you need ADR but hoe true that Is I dont know

kr79:
Heard some big mouth in the cafe say if you have over 1400 litres on the whole outfit you need ADR but hoe true that Is I dont know

Gotta be a wind up?

Saaamon:

kr79:

Gotta be a wind up?

Quite possibly but I have been told by drivers who are 100% convinced they are telling the truth that you can’t sit in the drivers seat on a 45 so I do tend to take most stuff with a pinch of salt :smiley: :smiley:

Farming talk for a mo…

The Case QuadTrack’s fuel tank states 968 (ish) litres…

It’s actual capacity is around 1200 litres! :open_mouth: Why?? It will/does/can use over a 1000 litres a day.

Back to point now. Case states 968 litres fuel capacity because if over a 1000 litres they’re in ADR territory, even though it’s a machine and not a ‘tanker’ as such.

So, I think regardless of belly tanks etc, it’s the total carried that counts.

We did this one once, something about original or approved equipment only.

Wheel Nut:

Agree, was fined in Belgium a few years back for the wedge type tank on a six wheel three series Scania that was quite common at the time and was fitted by Scania dealer they said it was not original equipment. tried to explain but still had to pay 80 Belgium francs. said it was a few years back didn’t i.

thetourist:

Wheel Nut:

Agree, was fined in Belgium a few years back for the wedge type tank on a six wheel three series Scania that was quite common at the time and was fitted by Scania dealer they said it was not original equipment. tried to explain but still had to pay 80 Belgium francs. said it was a few years back didn’t i.

It must have been a good few years ago, 80 BEF was about £1.75. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

kr79:

I do belive thats what customs used to use during the fuel runs to Belgium.Anything over 1600 liters came under ADR rules and they would nick you for smuggling.They were trying to stop people trying to fill their cabs with jerry cans full of diesel.

Coffeeholic:

thetourist:

Wheel Nut:

It must have been a good few years ago, 80 BEF was about £1.75. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

sorry tryping erop ment 800 bf :blush: :blush:

We have done the ADR bit and the fuel on board is not counted under 1500 litres. As Robbies Dad once pointed out, his brand new DAFs came with 1500 litre tanks fitted straight from the factory.

I know that tanks have to be tested, with the capacity and a kitemark marked on them. Even S&B Components are only advertising hydraulic and adblue tanks on their website now.

posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=75212

Harry Monk:
What’s the legal position with belly tanks nowadays? Is it completely illegal to have a trailer-mounted fuel tank or just illegal to import fuel across a border with one?

Hi Harry,

As far as ADR is concerned, the maximum exempted size of a belly tank is 500 liters.

Having said that, customs law is completely separate from ADR, and both sets of Regs need to be complied with in order to escape attention from the authorities. Then there’s the other law about the tank(s) having to be original equipment etc.

I helped a Brit driver out 10years ago on the services on the 411 on way to Lux,Belgium customs were fining him the equivalent of £50 because his cat-walk tank was not connected directly in to the fuel system but gravity fed in to the main tank.They were making a killing that afternoon
The officer showed me the actual paperwork,in French,.which backed up his interpretation of the rules.I lent the guy the fine and his boss left the money in Harbour shipping office Dover.for me.