bells palsy

Just found this old thread, got myself diagnosed with the same thing yesterday!

Came on as I was driving from Llanelli along the M4, massive thumbs to the the paramedics and the police who were within minutes as I had a HAZ load. Whisked off to the A&E quickly and straight in with the doctor.

Major panic when it came on as I didnt have a clue what it was but now have been driven back upto Kent and will be off work for a few weeks at least by the looks of it. Plenty of tablets as well which will hopefully speed up the recovery. Plenty of rest/laziness it seems is the cure!

hope you make a good recovery i was on a night out woke up in the morning made a brew and couldnt understand why i had spilt it down me till i looked in the mirror .was of work for a few weeks till i could at least close my eye .eventually made a recovery but still the right hand side of my face is sagging slightly but not really noticable

Cheers, got it down the left side of my face which was pretty daunting at the start. Hopefully wont be too long until I am back on the road though, wont be rushing back though and work have been pretty good with it by picking me up from hospital, ensuring I got somewhere to stay the night as well as getting me back home today, not quite as exciting as being in the ambulance with the blues and twos going!!!

I thought this thread was to do with beverly’s naughty corner lol

i dont know how much has been learned in 6 years but i was told back then that it could return. so far it hasnt so hopefully you guys will be the same. a bit of a scare at first but in a couple of months you will hopefully be looking back at it and never suffer again

We had a guy at work (in his thirties) , with bells palsy, & he made a full recovery with no sign of reocurrence in 7/8 years. I think he was off for a few weeks poss’ a month, but he’s absolutly fine since. A female member of staff’s mother also had it & made a full recovery too.
Aparently there’s a nerve comes out a hole in the skull just below & in front of the ear, & spreads like a fan across the face to each of the tiny muscles that control facial expressions. Inflammation of the nerve at the point where it leaves the skull causes the facial muscles to stop working. In most/nearly all cases there is said to be a full recovery.

I am very sorry to hear that your well with this condition :frowning: , and wish you a very speedy recovery :smiley:

had it twice about 15 years ago. It appeared overnight then dissapeared just as quickly. I didnt bother with Dr & took no medication. No lasting affects.

One of our shunters had it a few months ago but within a month he was 99% back to normal, I think he’s late 50’s.

Had it just over 20 yrs ago. Out driving one night and the first thing I noticed was that everything I tried to eat tasted greasy and off (even chocolate). Guys at Woolies (Swindon) thought I’d had a stroke because by the time I got there my speech was slurred because my gob had half gone on strike. Made it difficult to get a drag on a ciggie as well. Overdose on annie’s-■■■■■■■■ stair-rods (work it out lads) which made me eat enough food for 10 people and put about 2 stone on in a month and it went away (mostly).
I still have a laziness on the one side of my face when it gets cold and I get twitching under that eye which I can’t stop and causes much family amusement…Swines!
Many say stress is a cause, which may be right as I was under a lot of stress at that time. Someone I know who had a bad case of it started after being out on the moto-crossers with his mate who launched himself into a tree and was touch and go. The shock over his pal bought on the bells-palsy.

anyone ever suffered from it? if so, did you stop working?

Is this where one side of the face drops?If so i worked with a driver who had this and he was off work approx 4 months.

thats the one. total paralysis on one side. i have joined a support forum which helps and it seems i am doing better than some. for example, my chin is moving and there is twitching here and there plus i have a very slight movement in my lip. these are signs of recovery and quite early on from what i can gather

I am not sure how severe the attack was at first, but when he returned to work it was hardly noticeable.
Good luck and i hope you are better soon.

hope you make a speedy recovery mate.

RookieTrucker:
hope you make a speedy recovery mate.

I second that.

Me too. I have neurological issues myself, so I know just how scary they can be.

thanks for the good wishes. it is appreciated. im sitting at home worrying about rent and i have taken myself off the road for a few days unpaid regardless as it is the responsible thing to do. if i cant see, i cant drive so sitting at home for a few days is really my only option. the support does cheer me up a bit :smiley:

scanny77:
thanks for the good wishes. it is appreciated. im sitting at home worrying about rent and i have taken myself off the road for a few days unpaid regardless as it is the responsible thing to do. if i cant see, i cant drive so sitting at home for a few days is really my only option. the support does cheer me up a bit :smiley:

but isnt that what sick pay is for? :open_mouth:

best wishes and a speedy recovery.

ralliesport:
but isnt that what sick pay is for? :open_mouth:

im back on agency so i dont get sick pay now. the good news is that a better agency have given me some work now. £10 PH working tomorrow, £9 on monday and friday. all trunking work from coatbridge to lymm and carnforth. im guessing its trailer swaps so its easy enough and much more than the max £7 i have been paid up until now. moving up here has cost me approx £400 a month which is starting to bite now. i cant afford to stay off work so its back tomorrow. fortunately, i am showing signs of recovery although slight at the moment. i am not as prone to bright lights as i was on tuesday which is why i took time out in the first place :smiley: