Belgium bans cruise control

i read in this month’s t&d mag that belgium has brought out a new sign for banning the use of cruise control on certain roads.the signs have appeared on the roads leading to antwerp and ghent-brussels highway during roadworks.if you’s are caught you face a fine of 550 euros ( £35) on the spot or a maximum fine of 1375 euro’s ( £950 ) if you’s take it to court.the signs will only apply to a specified weight and it will tell you how far the restrictions are for.the sign is easily recognised it’s a crossed red prohibitive sign circling the words cruise control. so all you’s guy’s be aware of this and please don’t be the 1st to be caught you have been warned :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers mate, I’ve seen these signs but have always been a bit puzzled as to how the Police would actually know if you were using CC.

Having said that, the road on which I’ve seen the signs isn’t the type of road on which I would actually use CC- it’s far too crowded- so I imagine the Belgian Police are simply trying to preach to the converted.

Incidentally, I like Belgium. Any country where the motorway services will sell you a 4-pack of beer at 3am on a sunday morning, as you finish your long run-up from wherever, can’t be too bad! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Vince

Barmy Belgians strike again!
Think those lot are puddled!
just how are they to enforce this new rule?
Only problem is, rest of Europe will probably follow their lead now.

Vince:
Cheers mate, I’ve seen these signs but have always been a bit puzzled as to how the Police would actually know if you were using CC.

The Belgian drivers, usually seems to be them for some reason, who drive with both legs up on the dash at either side of the wheel are a pretty good indecator!! :laughing:

I’ve been past quite a few fatal accidents in Germany when I used to travel with my dad, that were caused by Belgian Truck drivers having their legs up on the dash and not being able to respond quick enough to a sudden reduction of trafic speed.

This has all come about after several fatal accidents in roadworks where trucks have ran into the back of stationary traffic.
I have seen Belgian driver’s reading newspapers,books or watching TV as they drive along on the cruise control! :open_mouth:

But,how are they going to enforce it?The only way they can find out is by plugging into the computer,and presumably they’ll only do that after an accident.
Though I can see in a few years that legislation will be introduced where a lamp on the outside of the truck will be illuminated to show when the cruise control is being used,similar to the lamps they had (or still have?) in Japan that light up as the speed of the truck increases.

KW:
Though I can see in a few years that legislation will be introduced where a lamp on the outside of the truck will be illuminated to show when the cruise control is being used,similar to the lamps they had (or still have?) in Japan that light up as the speed of the truck increases.

Sshh :unamused:

Salut, David/

Simple way to check whether you are using cruise control!!

They check your tacho!!! One of our boys got pulled and when the Police checked his tacho, they accused him of having a wire on (which he did have) his speed limiter.
How did they know■■?

Because if you have your cruise control on, especially in Belgium where its flat, the trace will be a dead straight line. It is impossible to get that dead straight line if you are using the pedal (unless at max speed). This is how the Police knew my pal had a wire on. His trace was up and down like a fiddlers elbow. On a brand new lorry with C/C, this just wouldn’t happen.
By the way, on DAF’s, if you ‘use a wire’, it knocks the C/C out.
Funnily, enough, when they checked ALL his tachoes for the previous month, they found that although his C/C wasn’t working, he had never gone over 60mph… couldn’t see the point of wiring it in that case.
The Police never found the wire and he had a very very lucky escape

TheBear:

They check your tacho!!! One of our boys got pulled and when the Police checked his tacho, they accused him of having a wire on (which he did have) his speed limiter.
How did they know■■?

Because if you have your cruise control on, especially in Belgium where its flat, the trace will be a dead straight line. It is impossible to get that dead straight line if you are using the pedal (unless at max speed). This is how the Police knew my pal had a wire on. His trace was up and down like a fiddlers elbow. On a brand new lorry with C/C, this just wouldn’t happen.
Funnily, enough, when they checked ALL his tachoes for the previous month, they found that although his C/C wasn’t working, he had never gone over 60mph… couldn’t see the point of wiring it in that case.

What’s ‘a wire’? I assume it bypasses the limiter but how?

You do not need to know as if caught for example in France you will be
visiting the local caboosh and waiting for the judge to say how long. In
Belgium they may be happy with a very very large wad of your money but
then again maybe not,and might also invite you to stay and keep others company in the hotel for persons who are so caught,

mrpj:

TheBear:

How did they know■■?

What’s ‘a wire’? I assume it bypasses the limiter but how?

a “wire” stops the tacho recording driving time and often kills the limiter too…
so i`ve heard anyway :smiley: :wink: