Belfast

Evening I’m going over to Belfast for a week. I will be sailing from Birkenhead on stena I think. Just wondered if anyone can give me any tips as I’ve never been over there before? Cheers

Lovely city an nice people, don’t believe all the crap you hear about them all hating the British, it’s the occupation of their country by the Westminster establishment some don’t approve of. I was over there every week for a while during the troubles and apart from the army checkpoints ( :frowning: ) had a enjoyable time and was there the night the Good Friday agreement came into play and the city centre was heaving and a jolly good craic was had by all. Have been to much worse by a long shot.

Just noticed you username and location, is that significant in your question 'cos if it is I wouldn’t advertise that fact while over there though :slight_smile:

Cheers raymundo

I used to deliver furniture (alstons of Ipswich & Colchester) to a warehouse off the Falls Rd area and never could understand the reason for the number of black cabs cruising around the area with never any passengers :question:

Small world it’s who I work for

gunner1983:

You drive a black cab ?
Quids in then . . must be a fair ole fare to Belfast :slight_smile:

Suedehead:

gunner1983:

You drive a black cab ?
Quids in then . . must be a fair ole fare to Belfast :slight_smile:

:smiley:

raymundo:
I used to deliver furniture (alstons of Ipswich & Colchester) to a warehouse off the Falls Rd area and never could understand the reason for the number of black cabs cruising around the area with never any passengers :question:

lol used to drink wi the Alstons boys in the 80s in Larne (robinsons bar),then the following night at Bangor.some great nights .you didnt wear a white suit on your nights out?i irc the regular driver used tae…used to do the irish work for Myers beds,slumberland beds,slumberdown
jimmy

HI, I’m not long finished as an ATO. one of the first things I did was book a long weekend with the missus over in Bangor. “I was sussed on the first night,” but what a laugh. had a great time and the locals were great. Enjoy the ride and keep your options open. But the main thing is the people over there are very friendly and welcoming. have a good run. :smiley:

gunner1983:
Evening I’m going over to Belfast for a week. I will be sailing from Birkenhead on stena I think. Just wondered if anyone can give me any tips as I’ve never been over there before? Cheers

I’m in Belfast most weeks - As has been said the place is really friendly and it’s a lovely city. You won’t struggle to park if your in a truck and there are plenty of places to eat. Are you actually in the city or on the outskirts?

gunner1983:

Been a while ago now though getting on for nigh on 17/18 years ago, bloody ell where’s the time gone as it seems like only yesterday but must be the effects of the copious quantities of Famous Grouse consumed. What were the w & d we had then ■■ poky little Volvo FL7s iirc ■■

As I’m from NI maybe you should watch this to allow you to communicate lol

youtu.be/RvZhr5qBj1k

Belfast is a great city, good people, good craic, you’ll have no bother there. Easy to find bars with live music, cathedral quarter or there was a bar I was in there a few weeks back called ‘The Dirty Onion’ I think. It doesn’t rain as much there as it does in England either :laughing: :laughing: …although the girlfriend said it was snowing tonight in Tyrone where I live.

Thanks for all the replys. I will be over there for a week so any ideas on safe parking overnight? I’ve been told to stay at larne docks as it’s safer. Also might be going down to cork when I’m there I’m assuming it’s pretty rubbish for truck stops on route? Any more tips welcome

Yeah not much stops between dublin and cork , yeah theres a shopping complex with truck parking about a mile from the port with toilets , shops , mcdonalds ect

If your comming up into belfast apollo road of boucher road or dargan road is another safe enough place to overnight with good routes north or south

Cheers ross

For a good place to park in Cork stop at the Ballycurreen Industrial estate its literally just down the road from the airport. There’s a good pub called Bull Mc Cabes which does food and is located right at the industrial estate entrance.

Toddy5453:
As I’m from NI maybe you should watch this to allow you to communicate lol

youtu.be/RvZhr5qBj1k

That’s class

There’s an industrial estate in Mitchelstown near Cork I always park in if I’m down that way, but then I’d usually be tipping at Aldi which is next door.

Got locked in Cork airport one night many years ago after I’d tipped there. The boys working there said ‘aye, no bother parking there’ till I went to set off early in the morning. Was expecting some grief from the Gardi who let me out but they didn’t say a word :laughing: