Being Charged For PPE

Just been issued some new hi viz ppe, but I’m looking to leave once a decent job comes in. I’ve heard stories of drivers at other places having deductions to final wages for ppe. Is this legal, surely you can just hand it back along with stuff like uniform?

If it’s the sort of place who’d try this then go on the sick until paid and then put your notice in saying the job is making you ill.

What does it say in your contract?

I’m guessing you might not have one…

PPE is as uniform
Property of the company so within reason yes they can.
Standard contract terms would be you would upon leaving employment you return all issues .

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_ … tions_1992
The Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 also states that employers are not allowed to charge for any PPE that is used for work.[5]

hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/ppe.htm
The relevant regulations are the Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992.
Regulation 4 states:
By virtue of Section 9 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, no charge can be made to the worker for the provision of PPE which is used only at work. Section 9 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 states: “No employer shall levy or permit to be levied on any employee of his any charge in respect of anything done or provided in pursuance of any specific requirement of the relevant statutory provisions”. Section 9 applies to these Regulations because they impose a ‘specific requirement’ - i.e. to provide PPE.

Seems to me that PPE cannot be charged for.
Uniforms and other clothing, maybe, but not PPE.
If the company insist that you wear the PPE, then that would suggest it is a “requirement of the relevant statutory provisions” wouldnt it? A jacket that you could wear to the opera on a Saturday evening, as well as at the quarry on a wet Monday morning, might be chargeable, I spose?

Blimey M/A, why would they want to charge you? they’ve already got tax relief on the purchase price! have a look at online prices everything you need “cheap as chips” even an employed person can get relief on work wear etc

Muckaway:
Just been issued some new hi viz ppe, but I’m looking to leave once a decent job comes in. I’ve heard stories of drivers at other places having deductions to final wages for ppe. Is this legal, surely you can just hand it back along with stuff like uniform?

If you get charged for ppe it YOURS if your supplied with a uniform with NO charge its THEIRS
With all the different H&S Rules about I think the Company is responsible to supply at no charge

I’ve never been charged, and have always kept some serviceable but previous issue stuff back and handed that in when i left, still use my premium quality boiler suits for working on my own cars.

As said though, the vast majority of PPE and workwear is cheap as chips, if you’ve got £100 worth in total i’d be very surprised, they can’t re-issue the stuff when you hand it back, it’s more about unauthorised use of company brandings than anything.

PPE could also come under the guise of Boots, Waterproofs and Clothing none of which would be handed down but not left for the driver to use in his garden

Last company I worked for gave us HV vests, waterproof jackets, gloves, trousers and shirts, but gave us an allowance for boots so we could buy our own.

My missus worked for a big Diy chain and left on bad terms. They wanted everything back, I wrote saying they could collect from our house at their convenience.
I got a legal type letter saying I was obliged to return it all. I wrote back saying they could have it anytime they wanted to come for it.
It was me being petulant but I insisted that they came to me and that I would make every reasonable effort. Despite then trying the bully stuff they came to me. When they finally arrived after getting lost I threw it all at them out of the bedroom window.
So yes you have to return it if they ask.
But no you can insist that they come and get it at a mutually convenient time.

sent using smoke signals

Where Im currently working, payment for ppe is on a sliding scale. If you leave within a month, then they charge you for it in full, it goes down in increments to nothing for a year and overs service. In spite of that, a lot of people leave quite early on.

papermonkey:
Where Im currently working, payment for ppe is on a sliding scale. If you leave within a month, then they charge you for it in full, it goes down in increments to nothing for a year and overs service. In spite of that, a lot of people leave quite early on.

The company cannot charge for PPE (although they can for other items of uniform clothing). They can require it to be returned if you leave.

Franglaise…is spot on…no chare for PPE…and if you wear a company uniform…its to protect your own clothes…and as a aid to their brand name image…if you pay for it…more fool you…for i would never pay for a uniform…its theirs…and should be returned to them when leaving, out of courtesy.

nick2008:
PPE is as uniform
Standard contract terms would be you would upon leaving employment you return all issues .

Absolute ■■■■■■■■. Company are obliged to provide ppe. You’ll be buying their diesel for them next

vikingpete:

nick2008:
PPE is as uniform

Absolute ■■■■■■■■. Company are obliged to provide ppe. You’ll be buying their diesel for them next

Yes they are odliged to provide it I didn’t say otherwise but if you leave they ask for it back and as such if you don’t they can deduct for it .
Just because a company has a duty to supplie don’t mean it’s yours , it’s still the property of the company

So BOLLOKS BACK TO YOU SIR