Being british

My youngest has come home from school with a homework project to talk to 10-15 people, and get them to give 3 or 4 descriptions of what being British means to them.

I got told by the missus that I had a very negative outlook on my country, so thought I’d ask on here.

What does being British mean to you? Quick summaries rather than extended essays please - these aren’t for the project, just out of interest.

Queueing, an obsession with the weather, a sense of fair play.

These are just some things that I consider to be typical British traits.

Moaning :wink:

being well an truly shafted by the ruling classes

Poking their noses in where it would be better to stay out, and playing ‘we’ve still got an Empire’.

And adoring mediocrity.

My reply was ‘petty, small minded, selfish and greedy’. Apparently that was being negative :slight_smile:

The monarchy

what about “still carrying on the fight against overwhelming oposition” when we were literally standing on our own,when all was seemingly lost after Dunkirk in 1940-the following Battle of Britain is what being British is about!!!
it wasn’t called “our finest hour” for nothing…

A sense of humour that no other nation has, but they all wish they did.

A backs to the wall mentality.

andrew.s:
what about “still carrying on the fight against overwhelming opposition” when we were literally standing on our own,when all was seemingly lost after Dunkirk in 1940-the following Battle of Britain is what being British is about!!!

I don’t think that applies in this country any more, look around you and tell me what freedom do we now have ? it’s still British to have your say but be careful of what you say !! The invaders couldn’t get in by the front door but there’s plenty who have now came in the back door !!

raymundo:

andrew.s:
what about “still carrying on the fight against overwhelming opposition” when we were literally standing on our own,when all was seemingly lost after Dunkirk in 1940-the following Battle of Britain is what being British is about!!!

I don’t think that applies in this country any more, look around you and tell me what freedom do we now have ? it’s still British to have your say but be careful of what you say !! The invaders couldn’t get in by the front door but there’s plenty who have now came in the back door !!

Thats why we have to remember why we are British…and to work hard on keeping us British… We are a great nation :wink:

widget:

raymundo:

andrew.s:

Thats why we have to remember why we are British…and to work hard on keeping us British… We are a great nation :wink:

Agree with that, part of being a Brit is speaking up when thing are wrong and not being shamed into silence by the PC brigade.

miss the “Like” Button :grimacing: