Being a new kid on the block

This has more than likely been covered before but here goes anyway.

I passed my Class C on the 19th May 2011 :smiley: , and since then have been actively looking for employment with in this transport industry. I’ve registerd with a number of agencey’s (not quite what I wanted to do as I’ve used them in my past lift within the construction industry). Had both good and bad results with them, but times were good £££££££££££ then. Now things are somewhat different as I’ve been out of work since xmas last year :cry: .

Driving trucks has always been an ambition since being quite young, something to do with seeing CONVOY with Kris Kristopherson approx 20 times, not all back to back I must say. Could only manage two at a sitting. So it is with great joy that I took my training with Lancaster Training Services and passed with three minors. It should not come as a supprise that now I am finding things a little difficult to find work in ■■■■■■■■ Lancashire. Too little experience is the answer that most agencey’s are commong back with.

On a brighter note I am waiting to here from a couple of local firms (skip hire, tipper hire, civils, Class 1 etc) as to the possibility of getting a start with them, fingers crossed.

If anyone reads this, I would appreciate any advice/ suggestions for a little green newby looking at getting a foot hold in this industry.

I was having the same issues as you until I did my Lorry loader course/Hiab, now the phone does not stop ringing!!

It not the right thing for every one and it is more money to shell out.

My own opinion is there are so many people with just the licence the agencies can pick and choose who they send and they will always send the experienced ones! If you have another skill Hiab/Moffet ect they suddenly don’t care about experience.

Best of luck with the search for a job.

dilligaf you are so correct.

Having a licence as a newbee is often not enough. It is the other skills that go with the LGV that many employers look for. ADR - FLT - HIAB - perhaps C+E perhaps even CPC OCR(TM Licence)

It does not finish when you pass the Cat C test. It actually starts there.

To join a new industry I believe you have to outshine the average guy. The driving test gets you going but may not be enough.

Learn all there is about this game. If you do, your hard earned will not have been in vain

Regards

John
Flair Training