Beginner to hgv

hi so recently i have done all my theory tests for my cat c and take my cat c test a week on tuesday.

i have been trying to find information out on steering rules for the cat c and cat c+e tests as one training school has said you can turn round corners using one hand if its easier and you maintain control and remain safe so long as you use both hands at all other times.
i have been doing the pushing pulling with two hands but on my assesment they also said you can cross hands but my head does no want to do that as for last 10 years ive had it in my head that is bad to do. so if any other instructors on here can confirm this is right it would be a great help but other than steering it is just getting used to checking mirrors more as my positioning and lane discipline and vehicle size awareness is really good.
i did really enjoy driving the 18t truck on my assesment and look forward to starting my course and going on to cat c+e.

also does anyone know of any companies that are most likely to help new starters out in hull or that area? i know i can get on with a company over in immingham at the docks doing left hand truck tramping.

To keep it simple, you can do whatever you like with the steering wheel provided there is no perceived loss of control. And that’s where the hassle can start. Your “I had full control” maybe the examiner’s “you didn’t have full control”.

Hopefully you’re going with a good trainer who can explain this properly and coach you accordingly.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Generally you have MORE control using two hands than one and not crossing them means you have more flexibility to correct if something starts to go wrong - common sense really :smiley:

thats good to know they have good reviews in my area and seem nice just i feel better to do sharp turns with one hand the two hands i use for turns that arent sharp. but crossing hands i just cant get round. but ive had at least 8 years with one hand and my second hand is always free to help out if needed but id imagine for most sharp corners id be going slow. will see how training goes and which one feels best while still being up to test standard.

the school im going with are on the recommended list on here too

Hi karlos.

I don’t see the problem. Just steer it properly, it’s not difficult. You can drive round one handed when you pass if you really want to. Personally I’ve had that much driver training, I still steer as I was taught, it’s just ingrained in me. If I try to spin the wheel one handed, I end up looking like a ■■■■■■■ octopus having an epileptic fit. Each to their own I guess.

i use the push pull but then got told i should cross hands to turn quicker in tight turns as its allowed due to the size of the wheel. but for me one hand is easier and feels smoother and more progressive over 2 hands and i just cant do crossed arms as ive just always know not to plus with my car having an airbag on steering wheel i know the damage it would do if it went off with my hands crossed.

once im on my course i might find a way to improve woth two hands but if i can be at test standard with one hand round tight bends then it would be easier as thats how i got used to not long after passing my car test.

i always use teo hands at all other times and i find reversing easier with one hand when driving my car or when i was in my extra long wheelbase sprinter as could look around and out the window easier

In the test there is no criteria for marking someone down for steering technique, as others here have said it’s all about demonstrating you’re legal & in control. Remember to anticipate like you can see into the future, mirrors, mirrors, mirrors, blind spot when moving away from stationary. If in doubt, give a commentary. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to be clear reference my previous comment. Using both hands is, without question, the way to gain and maintain maximum control. I don’t like “push pull” as most folks interpret it. This tends to use only a quarter of the wheel. But push, pull using all the wheel is the fastest, safest and (with practice) the easiest way of steering. When I do a demonstration drive, I often get a comment that “you don’t drive like that normally do you?”. And, yes, I do. Not cos I’m perfect but because it’s the easiest way, in fact it’s lazy it’s so easy. And with advancing years, it’s a lot less stress on your back.

IMO it’s a pity that “sloppy” steering is accepted on test. But it’s my responsibility on here to give accurate advice and that’s what I’ve done.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: