Before truck driving,what was your first job?

Believe or not,shelve filling age 16.
Wage £34, year 1981

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

I worked in a shoe shop after school, a continuation of my Saturday job with more hours.

Then I went farm working on the spuds, into warehouse with Mr Kipling, to being a postie where I got my HGV licence (not through them), got onto the lorries there got made redundant and from then on I’ve been in driving jobs/transport management roles ever since. However I’ve binned off any management ideas now, not worth the hassle and I’m not pretentious enough.

Giggalo to famous female movie stars but I grew tired of the lavish lifestyle

A local seaside holiday camp.
Started at 15 part time while still at school, from glass collector/washer,.selling cigs in a bar kiosk (sure that was illegal but nobody gave a toss in those days :smiley: ) chip shop, restarant, arcade, bike hire…did it all for about 6 years.
Then when I got a bit older bar work, a spell on the club door, to the epitome …'Legendary '‘Superstar Resident DJ’ :sunglasses:…( or ‘‘A Camp dj’’ as my Mrs says. :smiley: )
It was less like Butlins and a cross between ‘Carry on Camping’ and ‘Hi de Hi’ . :laughing:
Bloody great days though looking back.
30 years later my daughter worked on the same camp. :open_mouth:

Then 16, an apprentice mechanical engineer,.(still worked on the camp at nights) finished apprenticeship at 21 … then went trucking,.and never looked back since…
Aye right. :unamused: bad move. :laughing:

Apprentice Electrical & Electronics Engineer.
Always gravitating towards the door to look at the great outdoors & wishing my years away to reach 21 to get the licence.

Van boy on door to door bread sales £4.6 shillings (£4.30)a week 12 hr days 05.00 to 17.00 5 days a week including all day Saturday.

I was a farm labourer on a dairy farm in 1981 on £40 pw!!!

Nice try hmrc… macdonalds

Chartered Accountant

Deck Officer Merchant Navy

Paper boy , and first proper job was a shelf stacker/till assist at my local Lo cost (part of safeways)

Apprentice Toolmaker, 1978, first wage £25 per week, went up to £35 per week at 17 years old. Mind you, you could get three pints of McEwans lager for a pound in those days, so we did ok :slight_smile:

I had several “careers” before becoming a truck driver; I didn’t take my class 2 until I was almost 40 years old.

I would have done it sooner but every conversation I ever had with someone (when I was in my early twenties) about becoming an HGV driver was very negative, they all made it sound like it would be hard to get into, and that the driving tests were really difficult, they went on to make out that learning roping and sheeting was some kind of mystical art you had to be born into :unamused: Wayne Kerrs, all of them.

Trainee engineer for a …fire truck manufacturer.Its the job that my Dad wanted for me.I knew I wasn’t going to hack it from the first day shut inside.Every hour seemed like 2 or more.
I knew I was always going to be a driver like my Grandfather and told the careers advice that when I left school.
Luckily the firm took pity on me and transferred me to works transport with a Transit and 7.5 tonner and testing including paid for my class 2 which I got two weeks after my 21st birthday.
Instantaneously went to looking forward to going to work every day and two hours overtime seemed like I’d only done half a day.
Seriously think I would have ended up with depression without that job transfer.

Various holiday and weekend jobs while at school, then at 16,Trainee underwriter for a major life insurance company, but it wasn’t for me. Left at 19, got job on local council driving under 3 ton unladen box van (todays 7.5t) delivering to schools. Passed class 1 at 21, and that was it until I retired. At the last job 40 yrs!

Hi. my first job out of school at 16( 1979 ) was as a trainee steeplejack in nottm did that for about a year or so they sent me off to Bircham newton industrial collage which through a lack of interest i did not complete then spent about 2 and a half years on a mixture of the dole and youth training schemes ( remember them ) which were a complete waste of time then ended up working as a printer in a local plastics factory eventually in 1990 i passed my class 1 quit the printing job in april 1991 and went living and delivering camping equipment all over Europe for 10 weeks which more or less set the template for the next 31 years a mixture of domestic and euro work ,all UK stuff now despite Driving being far from a career its better than being in that factory for what would be almost 40 years

Started working age 10 as a Bridlington Barrow Boy. Kids used to build their own barrows from pallets and pram wheels and go meet holidaymakers at the coach park and railway station and carry their suitcases to their hotels/B&Bs and charge 50p a go. Did that for a couple of years. Could earn £20 on a good weekend, £50 or so a week during the summer which was almost half what my dad was earning back in 1980.

Age 13-16 worked during the season on weekends and fulltime on school holidays in a restaurant.

Did an apprenticeship as a vehicle mechanic at the local Land Rover/Range Rover dealership, miserable time bullied to hell starting with the usual stuff that gets done to apprentices but got worse and eventually sacked from that when itg got to the point I laid a guy out - being cornered in the stores and having shocker bushes thrown at you is not much fun when they’re the size and hardness of those used on landrovers. Went on YTS in engineering/electronics, got a job at a company which made and repaired videogames for amusement arcades as a bench engineer before I went in the army a couple of years later. Had a few jobs in engineering/electronics/IT after I left the army before going lorry driving quite by accident - needed a job, had a HGV licence from the army, signed up with an agency intending to do it for 6 months and 27 years later still here.

trucken:
Various holiday and weekend jobs while at school, then at 16,Trainee underwriter for a major life insurance company, but it wasn’t for me. Left at 19, got job on local council driving under 3 ton unladen box van (todays 7.5t) delivering to schools. Passed class 1 at 21, and that was it until I retired. At the last job 40 yrs!

Must’ve been a slow truck. :wink:

First job in Summer 1975 while still at school. Packing Ford car parts in a local warehouse. All the regular workers were on piecework and resented us being paid £20 a week regardless of how fast or slow we were. Company gave us the option of going on piecework or leaving - so we went. Spent the rest of the Summer working in a factory making plastic window frames for £40 a week. Result!

Stayed on into 6th Form but left after one term to join the RAF as an Apprentice Technician Airframes & Propulsion. Hated it and didn’t even complete basic training.

Dad got me a job working in the same small light engineering place that he worked at as a stop-gap for a few weeks. Then I got a job as Trainee Accountant. Stuck at that for about three years then was made redundant. Got another office job in Purchasing Dept at ■■■■■■■ Diesels. Was there two years then they moved the whole department up North so, not particularly wanting to move up there I joined the Police.

Stayed there 25 years before they’d had enough of me (and me of them) so jumped before I got pushed. I had my Class 2 licence as I had been doing the odd driving shift on some of my days off for a year or so, so I sort of fell into full-time lorry driving while I sorted myself out another proper job. Still doing it 16 years later…

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Either this my first job done during school holidays-

Or my first job as an adult was an apprentice mechanic on busses and coaches

Paper round aged 14 for 10 shillings a week, left school in 1966 at 15 to be an apprentice lorry mechanic at a BMC dealership on £4.10 s and 6d a week which went up by £1 each year until I was 21.

Pete.