Before speed limiters!

What was THE flying machine - the motor that left you standing - pre limiter days , i remember transcons & marathons were 2 , oh & spanish dodges

One of my 1st jobs was driving an F10 for Kammac… The old Kammac… Every one was a different colour so that the police didn’t link them all as one company flying up and down to London day and night at 70mph +… The good old days… Ha…

yeah the 80’s :slight_smile: TNT Newsfast - up/down the M1 cruising @75mph , Independent Express ( think pink ) - didnt one get clocked doing 93 on the M6 ■■■■■■■ ?

I had a 380 bhp V8 Iveco 190.38 that would pull like a bull in springtime and be good for 85mph, to which I admit doing once on the A1 for a very short while… until it frightened the life out of me!

Some of the late '80s motors were geared for around 100mph as standard: the MAN 502 and possibly the Iveco '48, IIRC. When did limiters become compulsory?

Think it was new vehicles had them fitted in 94, others by 96

we had a big accident whit a 60tn combination and a buss ,where 23 younsters lost there life and im shore that the speedlimiter was a main couse to te accident, te truck came down hill and had abit to fast speed to the suddently very slippery road ,and the draw get out to left and hit the bus in the front .if the driver had a chance to get more speed to the lorry i,ll think the accident hadn,t happened,

boris:
What was THE flying machine - the motor that left you standing - pre limiter days , i remember transcons & marathons were 2 , oh & spanish dodges

All of the above plus Sed Atk, 290 ■■■■■■■■ F88 290, usually with Irish plates plus 89’s ,141’s, even Leyland Buffalos use to tramp on a bit, when they were working, Fl10 I had new in 1990 was good for 75mph, I’ve also had some quick Big J’s 70 plus!!!

always reconed Monaghhan mushrooms Scanias were the fastest on the A75 for the 80s… though on 1 occasion i was sitting at 80 (in my car) yeah i know,on Kinmont straight coming back from work and a Dukes Scania left me standing ,never even saw its tailights after Carrutherstown.
just the same the Maggie i drove could sit in the low 80s no problem.
jimmy.

1989 turbostar fully loaded fridge 75mph on single carriageway crack on, i was running a bit late that sunday morning

From what I remember going with dad at the time Scanias faster than Volvos and Dafs were faster than both. A few 142s knocking about with coach diffs fitted, Robin Borthwick had one and so did Dougie Towler. Towler apparently got Into a 100mph speed wobble coming down the M6 taking up three lanes of the motorway trying to get it under control

boris:
yeah the 80’s :slight_smile: Independent Express ( think pink ) - didnt one get clocked doing 93 on the M6 ■■■■■■■ ?

I think that Independent Express fleet of MAN’s were about as fast as it got. :open_mouth: :laughing:

It was the combination of relatively low gross weights with big power motors.

Had a Sed Ak with a 290 ■■■■■■■ in about 1986 and tried it one day running south down the M6,no idea how fast she went the needle touched the stop,and i bottled it!!
and itd pull like a train,nowt much passed it(loaded)coming up Windy Hill on the M62 eastbound !! :grimacing:

used to cruise all night at 75mph in my Daf 2500,still had the 141 Scania’s and F88’s coasting by me :frowning: and on one occasion,2 ‘A’ Series ERF’s with 40’ flat’s :astonished: a Sed Atki,one of Wilkinsons i think,used to leave us all for dead on the night trunk heading north on the M1 in the '80’s.

1626 and 1632 Mercs, the ones with the bigger tyres on. (2200x20s I think) Wouldn’t pull, needed to change down a couple gears to get over a sleeping policeman but on the flat when you got them rolling they would fly.

Midland red coaches . .remember them :question:

The leyland marathon with the TL12 275bhp, i had 80mph out of my Daf 3300, my uncle had a Transcon that was good for 85mph, 350 ■■■■■■■ in it !

steptoe:
1626 and 1632 Mercs, the ones with the bigger tyres on. (2200x20s I think) Wouldn’t pull, needed to change down a couple gears to get over a sleeping policeman but on the flat when you got them rolling they would fly.

A 1632 V10 with 12.00 x R20 tyres was good for 80mph…the 1633 with the twin turbos appeared in 1982…no problem with that engine pulling…it had a built in chassis Road Speed Limiter set to 72mph…if you pulled the ‘fuse’ it was could for 100mph.

Riverstick:

steptoe:

A 1632 V10 with 12.00 x R20 tyres was good for 80mph…the 1633 with the twin turbos appeared in 1982…no problem with that engine pulling…it had a built in chassis Road Speed Limiter set to 72mph…if you pulled the ‘fuse’ it was could for 100mph.

I once had the over speed buzzer go off in top gear in a 1632 V10 merc :slight_smile:

Riverstick:

steptoe:

1633 was a cracking motor, twin turbo V8. 16 speed box as well if I remember correctly, the 1626 and 32 had that 12 speed backwards way on ZF