before sleeper cabs

I wrote a piece on another topic, about transport digs in Kendal back in the 60’s,
Most digs in those days where clean ,and homely, with the exception of a few, but by today’s standards the H&S would have shut most of them down . I used a few on a regular basis, there was Mrs O’sheas in Kendal, the RANCH on Watling st, ERIC’S in Stratford London,
and some I can’t just recall at the moment.
Did anyone else have their favourite watering holes ■■? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Heres a few owd uns.

ranch markyate

3 sisters markyate

watling st markyate

ponderosa east dereham

ethels Leytonstone

daves café harthill Lanarkshire

st johns tavern tooley st London

tower café Basingstoke
most of these were poor in all respects with exceptions of ponderosa,daves café,and the 3 sisters which were all v/good.
regards dave.

maybe ‘most’ in Kendal were good but nationwide there were some real dumps!
A board across the seats was far more preferable to lots of digs, in fact sleeping without a board across was better in some cases.

del949:
maybe ‘most’ in Kendal were good but nationwide there were some real dumps!
A board across the seats was far more preferable to lots of digs, in fact sleeping without a board across was better in some cases.

Yeah! I remember when I got a D range ford, with a double passenger seat, It was heaven then :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

How many remember sharing a room with half a dozen other truck drivers, ■■■■■■■ and snoring all night long?
Going to bed and then geting woken up by the lads coming in from the pubs, then getting woken up by the 4.00 am starters.
easier to sleep next to a fridge trailer!

I loved it when I got a TK Bedford. It had a shelf behind the seats. Had many a night out in my “sleeper cab” :smiley: