Been watching trucker Jay

kcrussell25:

SouthEastCashew:

Evil8Beezle:

SouthEastCashew:
How old are you if your between 19-24 you can easily get with a firm who are offering to pay for your class 2-1 many fools don’t do their research and think you have to shed a fortune out… All the best!!

And to that I’d ask if you wanted to buy some magic beans? :open_mouth:
[emoji38]

No one gives away something for nothing mate, and logic states that the firms that offer this, have the most trouble recruiting.
And the question to that has to be: I wonder why? :open_mouth:

So yes, you possibly can get locked into a 2 or 3 year deal with a firm, but is that really a good deal? I’ve got 18 months experience and limped all over the place, moving on when each had served their purpose. I couldn’t possible image what I’d have felt like thinking I’d have 3 years of X without any chance to learn what sort of work suits me.

And that’s a factor often overlooked by Newbies, as there is such a variation of work, work hours, and patterns…
As such different personality types work better in certain roles, and I can’t deny that I’ve learnt certain roles suit me better then others. Hence I’m claiming that by paying for my licences myself, not only am I free agent to pick and choose, I’m learning the industry a lot faster than someone stuck in one spot for 3 years…

What would I learn about pallet delivery after 3 years that I didn’t learn in 6 months? :open_mouth:

Basically without wanting to offend or start an argument, I think that if you have a choice, you should finance it yourself…

Google HGV driver apprenticeships you will be surprised. They do not lock you in.

I would be very surprised if there isn’t something in the small print about repaying if you leave, including being sacked. I am older than that but would always pay for my own to give me the option to go where I want if things don’t work out somewhere

Fair enough each to their own I guess but there is nothing mentioned in my contract… + you also get very good training none of this ■■■■ 10 year old ex tufnell lorries…

SouthEastCashew:
Fair enough each to their own I guess but there is nothing mentioned in my contract… + you also get very good training none of this [zb] 10 year old ex tufnell lorries…

Then good luck to you. Looks like you found a good one, unless you signed a separate agreement to cover training cost repayment…

I have just googled it out of interest on my day off and the first one that came up was John Lewis which sounds good until you see starts at 185 per week, then 285 after C and NMW after C&E which will take 9 months! I’ll pass thanks

kcrussell25:

SouthEastCashew:
Fair enough each to their own I guess but there is nothing mentioned in my contract… + you also get very good training none of this [zb] 10 year old ex tufnell lorries…

Then good luck to you. Looks like you found a good one, unless you signed a separate agreement to cover training cost repayment…

I have just googled it out of interest on my day off and the first one that came up was John Lewis which sounds good until you see starts at 185 per week, then 285 after C and NMW after C&E which will take 9 months! I’ll pass thanks

That’s the pay you get during your training… very good company to work for!! + If someone is willing to pay for both of their licences which cost an arm and a leg then let them crack on. Besides I respect your opinion on the matter & you probably no more then me as well but I just think it’s a good alternative if you don’t want to pay yourself.

I’ve been watching a lot of fastasfox vids, gives a really good insight

SouthEastCashew:

kcrussell25:

SouthEastCashew:

That’s the pay you get during your training… very good company to work for!! + If someone is willing to pay for both of their licences which cost an arm and a leg then let them crack on. Besides I respect your opinion on the matter & you probably no more then me as well but I just think it’s a good alternative if you don’t want to pay yourself.

I can see both sides of this… and there’s no right answer!!

There’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all type answer to any of this, because everybody’s aspirations are as different as their circumstances.

dieseldave:

SouthEastCashew:

kcrussell25:

SouthEastCashew:

I can see both sides of this… and there’s no right answer!!

There’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all type answer to any of this, because everybody’s aspirations are as different as their circumstances.

Yep agree with you bud but the way I see it is you are a few grand better of… + less pressure on you as a person say you fail your test 1st time doing it of your own back you then have to pay again & again & again…

SouthEastCashew:
Yep agree with you bud but the way I see it is you are a few grand better of… + less pressure on you as a person say you fail your test 1st time doing it of your own back you then have to pay again & again & again…

I agree there is no one size fits all. My view is that John Lewis job pays maybe 14/15k across the first year. Someone I used to work with passed about 18 months ago and cleared 30k in their first year. So although he spent 3.5k in training he earned 16/17k more. Even allowing for tax he is well ahead.

I agree that if you don’t have or don’t want to spend the money its a good way to go. I am in a position to be able to pay and would rather do that than be tied to a company, as I expect most (though sounds like not all) would expect repaying if you leave in a certain time frame. That worries me that they can treat you how they want and you can’t much about it without facing a big bill.

However most importantly, each to their own :smiley: