Been offered class 1 in coventry?

been offered class 1 for the co op Coventry & palletways? now I am a complete newbie to class1 driving, only passed 2 months back :smiley:

no if I am totally honest, other than my class one test I have never reversed trailers in my life! I passed with 2 minors which aint so bad!

now I feel I should be ok reversing on bays if it aint too busy

maybe I am getting a bit wound up & nervous about it :open_mouth: :confused: as ya do I suppose

I have been driving class 2 for two years & familier with bay work

anyone know what routes/rdc/ndcā€™s are the usual routes, iā€™m thinking iā€™f driving the routes for the rdc/ndcs before taking the job on so I know roughly where iā€™m going - iā€™m not the biggest fan of satnavs, I like to know where I am in my own head first if ya know what I mean

any help/advice is well appreaciated

did you pass in a full size artic ?

it was a shorty like the SPAR corner shops use DAF CF sleeper cab tractor unit!

trouble is I have been offered work on both draw bar & artic, I have built up agood rep as an agency driver & the places I work have a lot of trust & word has spread a bit here n there so when I passed I got offered work straight away but iā€™m just reluctant as I cant take on a full 40+hour week as I have my current job, but if I was to swap over to artic/drawbar work I could afford to drop my current regular income job-hope that makes some sort of sence

You said ā€œco op Coventry & palletwaysā€ so the job could be running to Palletways at their nationwide hub in Lichfield? If you are on the pallet run you donā€™t need to worry about bays as you will be in a queue most of your shift and be required to pull your curtains back. When you get to the front 6 artics including you will enter a massive warehouse. You park in a line in yellow marked ares and multiple FLTā€™s descend on you like a plague of locusts. The first FLT will come to your drivers window and take your keys off you and he will hand them back when they have picked your artic clean :smiley: Then you drive out and either leave the place (unlikely) or go to a loading are to be loaded. So you will be trunking back and forth if I am right the proximity of Coventry you might get two runs a shift?

that doesnā€™t sound so bad then on the pallet work, I presume Lichfield is the fradley park site? Iā€™ve never ran that way in my current job, I tend to run south from Coventry to Northampton, Milton Keynes, around various places just off the a5

just nervy about getting into class one work for the first time really, probably worried for nothingā€¦
iā€™m just trying to get into weekend & odd day work to get going & get a feel for it before taking it on full time

I think iā€™ll be ok putting the artic on bays but its that 1st 3 times where iā€™m a it nervy then I should be ok I reckon

nervoustimes:
that doesnā€™t sound so bad then on the pallet work, I presume Lichfield is the fradley park site? Iā€™ve never ran that way in my current job, I tend to run south from Coventry to Northampton, Milton Keynes, around various places just off the a5

just nervy about getting into class one work for the first time really, probably worried for nothingā€¦
iā€™m just trying to get into weekend & odd day work to get going & get a feel for it before taking it on full time

I think iā€™ll be ok putting the artic on bays but its that 1st 3 times where iā€™m a it nervy then I should be ok I reckon

I have done it at night and it is not nice work. You canā€™t get your break as you are in a massive queue of lorries around a huge building having to inch forward every 7/8 minutes which is a real pain. One of them has a good looking blonde serving bacon, sausage hamburgers and nice mugs of tea which broke the monotony might have been Palletforce but could have been palletline? Anyway you are knackered by the time you leave the place.