been caught speeding.....

I was in Germany a few weeks ago, picked up a hire car and 30 mins later picked up a camera in one of those 130kph to 80kph sections, well I am guessing that anyway.

The hire company have sent me a letter saying the offence was committed while I had hire of the car, so fair enough. The letter is for a handling fee of the fine and they say formal documents will arrive from the authorities in due course.

What will happen is my question? Will it be just a fine or something more, also if I choose to ignore it, bad move or is being in this country not much of a barrier to the Germans taking it futher. I am happy to pay the fine, but I would like to hear my options first or any advice. I will be away for a month in a few days time, so if the documents do arrive will not answering them for a few weeks create a bigger problem.

I know you are all law abiding road users, but perhaps you know of someone who like me, has been caught speeding.

Andy

last time i ignored a fine in a rental car was in bremen early in 2006 - seem to have got away with it and have had licence run through rental company computer and BAG computer since and no sirens/flashing lights went off :smiley:

saying that things seem to be changing with this type of stuff cross-border in EU so maybe it’s more risky nowadays mate

i did like the way the german authorities didn’t leave room for a bit of “give me evidence” time-wasting - the original letter contained 3 great photos, from about 50m away, the number plate in closeup, and me in closeup picking me nose :blush:

With the trucks they used to send the fine to your home address but left it up to you if you wanted to pay it. If you didn’t pay then you had to stay out of Germany. As soon as you crossed the border your name would come up on the radar & you would arrested or they could see that you paid. I don’t think there is a time limit to pay the fine.Its best to pay ,you never know when you might be going back. German Police computers are ‘Vorsprung durch Technik!!!’ :laughing:

jj72:
i did like the way the german authorities didn’t leave room for a bit of “give me evidence” time-wasting - the original letter contained 3 great photos, from about 50m away, the number plate in closeup, and me in closeup picking me nose :blush:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

any chance of posting that picture.

This one reminds me of a true story from 1988ish.

I arrived back at the ranch from a European somewhere or other, and my boss then gave me a letter to translate.

The upshot of this was that the BAG weren’t very amused, because they’d found that one of our drivers had been a very naughty boy and had broken several ADR regs in Germany. There was a fine of (IIRC) about £700ish to pay. The letter went on to warn that the fine could be enforced via the German embassy in London, because it was quite a serious matter. The letter was signed in the usual German style with just the surname.

That surname was…wait for it…Von Richthoven, so according to a joke that did the rounds for a while, we were shot down by the Red Baron. In the face of so much evidence, and not wishing to annoy Von Richthoven any further, the boss quickly paid up. I can clearly remember that signature though…

In a similar joke stemming from an incident, does anybody remember when a certain international firm (allegedly) sunk a submarine on the M6■■

( :wink: This one is an MMTM story, but the guy who told me was working for the firm in question at the time, but I’ve never known whether it was a yarn.)

dieseldave:
In a similar joke stemming from an incident, does anybody remember when a certain international firm (allegedly) sunk a submarine on the M6■■

( :wink: This one is an MMTM story, but the guy who told me was working for the firm in question at the time, but I’ve never known whether it was a yarn.)

heard that one from a few people over the years - maybe there is some truth in it somewhere :smiley: who did you hear it was?

jj72:
heard that one from a few people over the years - maybe there is some truth in it somewhere :smiley: who did you hear it was?

Hi jj72, I heard it from a driver called “Cowboy,” yes he wore the hat and boots to go with his name!!! He didn’t claim to be the driver in question though…The firm was Dow Freight. (did they run dark coloured M.A.Ns from Stockport :question: ) If you remember them, they were visited by the then Ministry. :wink: IIRC, the firm disappeared not long after that visit.(PM?)

Does that tally with what you heard??

I’d love a good answer as to whether the submarine incident is true. It’s had me wondering for years :wink: