Bedfordshire hauliers past & current

dw951:
Hi All, I’m wondering if anyone can help me. I’m looking for some photos of Universal Salvage trucks. They were based in beds and later on became Copart. If anyone has any i’ll be very grateful!

I can go one better than that, before they were taken over by Universal Salvage they were FJF Autos based at Stewartby/Marston. Quite a big concern back then with some big recovery equipment.
If you take a look on the following link there’s a good photo of one of their wreckers, I cannot post the photo as it has the copyright mark on it so may cause an issue.

en-gb.facebook.com/groups/45417 … 2868513912

I used to go into their yard for Shanks when it was Universal Salvage, my transport manager back then (female) was married to one of the managers at universal. They had some fantastic stuff in there regularly, I remember going in there on one occasion and they had around 30 brand new range rovers, they looked immaculate but had been water damaged on a ship exporting them. No doubt they were broken up and the parts sold off.

Kempston:
Few of NMT crane hire and Haulage who bought out Wildmans transport and for some reason closed it down.

Great pics Kempston, hate to think how much that crane cost,must be over a million. :unamused:

Kempston:
Few of NMT crane hire and Haulage who bought out Wildmans transport and for some reason closed it down.

They bought it for the site as they were out growing the site in marston.
As far as i know, all employees of Wildmans were offered jobs.
Some did and some didn’t.

Rich

Rich T:

Kempston:

Rich

Interesting stuff Rich.

Do you remember this company Kempston ?

J.A.C.Bain from Leighton Buzzard.

bedford bain 76 p beds.PNG.jpg

DEANB:
Do you remember this company Kempston ?

Do you know what Dean I can honestly say I’ve never heard of them and quite a sizeable firm by that piece you posted. I’ve found a photo on the internet though it’s not brilliant but shows the colour scheme.

F015A0FF-FA0F-4781-A1F3-5AB9E7056BB9.jpeg

Kempston:

Rich T:

Kempston:

Rich

Interesting stuff Rich.

Ive worked at NMT since 2002 and only left last November.

Theyre good people to work for and in all the time i was there i never had any problems.
I only left due to a career change or id still be there now.

Kempston:
“DEANB” Do you remember this company Kempston ?

Do you know what Dean I can honestly say I’ve never heard of them and quite a sizeable firm by that piece you posted. I’ve found a photo on the internet though it’s not brilliant but shows the colour scheme.

Yes 46 motors so a big concern Kempston. Thanks for the pic. :wink:

Newton Haulage from Toddington, they sold the Haulage business off and went into building and renovating trailers. Nmp

1FAF6E5A-F5B1-475A-ABCF-A45BD751D341.jpeg

78F5923E-D4B3-4E32-89DA-1D8CB83EF2C3.jpeg

newtontrailers.com/about_us

A few of Harvey’s from Sandy, they did pack up and their yard was sold off and built on but I believe they started up again under a slightly different name.

AD977A10-23CE-4E7D-A625-0E307FB894B3.jpeg

FFB06B0D-96FF-4A32-B22F-2D8AD524FA68.jpeg

Great pics of Newtown and Harveys motors Kempston. :smiley:

Heres an old clipping of a T.H.Brown Mack.

th brown beds 78.PNG

DEANB:
Great pics of Newtown and Harveys motors Kempston. :smiley:

A curious caption. It describes it as a ‘high torque engine’ but doesn’t tell you where the torque is or whether it is useful - perhaps it was supposed to imply high torque at low revs, but I’m not sure the Mack engine was; unless of course it had a ■■■■■■■ in it (which you could on a Mack F700) :bulb:

Also it describes 7mpg as ‘low’ consumption, which I’m not sure was the case in the late '70s when 8.5mpg would have been considered low. :unamused: Or am I nit-picking? :open_mouth:

CF’s training me up to take his place :sunglasses:

:laughing: :laughing:

ERF-NGC-European:
"DEANB"Great pics of Newtown and Harveys motors Kempston. :smiley:

A curious caption. It describes it as a ‘high torque engine’ but doesn’t tell you where the torque is or whether it is useful - perhaps it was supposed to imply high torque at low revs, but I’m not sure the Mack engine was; unless of course it had a ■■■■■■■ in it (which you could on a Mack F700) :bulb:

Also it describes 7mpg as ‘low’ consumption, which I’m not sure was the case in the late '70s when 8.5mpg would have been considered low. :unamused: Or am I nit-picking? :open_mouth:

I think between 7 & 8 mpg was normal to be honest looking at roadtest results,and i dont expect he was hanging around… :laughing:

I would imagine the Mack had its own engine which was called the Maxidyne and the gear boxes were called Maxitorque. :wink:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

I think between 7 & 8 mpg was normal to be honest looking at roadtest results,and i dont expect he was hanging around… :laughing:

I would imagine the Mack had its own engine which was called the Maxidyne and the gear boxes were called Maxitorque. :wink:

I would guess he would be fully freighted as well so sounds about right to me.

Kempston:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

I would guess he would be fully freighted as well so sounds about right to me.

Yep. Looking back at the figures, I reckon you’re both right.

Couple of oldies no longer operating. Nmp

Kempston:

The second photo is intresting “Kempston”. I wonder who built that tipping trailer with the sides that come off to convert to a flat bed.

M.Lutt & Sons Merc.

DEANB:

Kempston:

The second photo is intresting “Kempston”. I wonder who built that tipping trailer with the sides that come off to convert to a flat bed.

True Dean, it looks bespoke to me but maybe someone else might know differently? They did mainly farm work so wondered if it’s so they could do bagged stuff as well as bulk?

M.Lutt & Sons Merc.

Kempston:
“DEANB” “Kempston” Couple of oldies no longer operating. Nmp

True Dean, it looks bespoke to me but maybe someone else might know differently? They did mainly farm work so wondered if it’s so they could do bagged stuff as well as bulk?

There were a few manufacurers that did build them “Kempston” like Wilcox but you dont see many pic’s of them. :wink:

Bedford Vauxhall 1974.

Click on pages twice to read.