Bedfordshire hauliers past & current

Kempston:

pete smith:
One of you old motors Kempston,

Brilliant thanks Pete!! Where did you find that? I’ve looked everywhere and not been able to find anything anywhere.

It is off Birmingham Truck Centre page, our former local Foden dealer previously known as Millward Trucks, apparently that motor was nicked and only the cab was found down by a canal in Oldbury, driven by a lad called Tony according to the text.

pete smith:

Kempston:

pete smith:
One of you old motors Kempston,

Brilliant thanks Pete!! Where did you find that? I’ve looked everywhere and not been able to find anything anywhere.

It is off Birmingham Truck Centre page, our former local Foden dealer previously known as Millward Trucks, apparently that motor was nicked and only the cab was found down by a canal in Oldbury, driven by a lad called Tony according to the text.

That one was after my time there Pete so really don’t know, certainly haven’t heard about it but I know a couple of the drivers that were still there long after I’d gone so once we are able to get back out I’ll try to find out some information. Great photo all the same.

This scania and an identical four wheeler are still working today for a local fruit and veg market stall holder, they also used to have a couple of mercs. Sinfields who used to be based in Luton but now have a purpose built premises at Willington off the A603 just outside Bedford.

Few odds & sods here nmp.

Jackson’s demolition from thurleigh just outside Bedford. They used to use smiths a lot for scrap.

77AC0E1E-9666-486A-8FAD-99F22BC10828.jpeg

Horners were from the village where I now live, I can remember seeing a couple of tippers around but don’t remember them having an artic, god knows where they parked it, only a very small company.

046F6BEC-D4F4-4894-8892-F804BF704EBC.jpeg

DDF1FF13-58FB-4AA3-8ACB-4DDA8B0A95FC.jpeg

“Kempston” Heres a clipping of Redland bricks Volvo’s from Milton Keynes. :wink:

clip redland volvo1 p beds.PNG

Thanks for that Dean, a couple more here, one of which is still painted in Eastwoods colours from kempston Hardwick Brick works near Stewartby. Not the best quality photos but still a snapshot of days gone by. Nmp.

27-02-2008221446.jpg

7AC8DB4F-BB52-4FBA-9849-9D4C72FE6239.jpeg

Kempston:
Thanks for that Dean, a couple more here, one of which is still painted in Eastwoods colours from kempston Hardwick Brick works near Stewartby. Not the best quality photos but still a snapshot of days gone by. Nmp.

Nice pics Kempston,those old Foden had a look about them. :wink:

Volvo F86.

Thanks Dean, always surprised me at the different methods of unloading.

Kempston:
Thanks Dean, always surprised me at the different methods of unloading.

Yes that’s a bit of an unusual one on the Volvo. :wink:

H.G.Brown Mack from 1978.

th brown beds 78.PNG

Yes that’s a bit of an unusual one on the Volvo. :wink:

Couple of London brick varieties of crane offloaders back in the early days before the selfstak. Nmp.

E29A6F9A-C741-4104-A498-7E49A4804EB0.jpeg

D257DAB5-123B-4D51-85DE-E25DBCF11FAE.jpeg

Kempston:
Some old photos of K & D’s of Bedford, couple of the photos are very clear unfortunately. I can remember these really well, they used to do a lot of blocks for c.a.e.c. Howard’s and stillage work for Georg Fischer castings. Nmp. Edit, I can remember them having quite a few ERF A series but haven’t been able to find any photos of them.

Would the blue and cream Fodens be ex Welch’s?-very similar colour scheme

andrew.s:

Kempston:
Some old photos of K & D’s of Bedford, couple of the photos are very clear unfortunately. I can remember these really well, they used to do a lot of blocks for c.a.e.c. Howard’s and stillage work for Georg Fischer castings. Nmp. Edit, I can remember them having quite a few ERF A series but haven’t been able to find any photos of them.

Would the blue and cream Fodens be ex Welch’s?-very similar colour scheme

I wondered that myself but unfortunately I really have know idea.

George Fischer Transcon.

clip ford george fischer ppg.PNG

DEANB:
George Fischer Transcon.

They had some tidy motors Dean but to the best of my knowledge none were ever based in Bedford though I can recall seeing them going into the factory to load pipe fittings etc. Iirc they are a swiss company and as such the kids Xmas parties the company used to put on loads of Swiss chocolate was dished out.

Kempston:

DEANB:
George Fischer Transcon.

They had some tidy motors Dean but to the best of my knowledge none were ever based in Bedford though I can recall seeing them going into the factory to load pipe fittings etc. Iirc they are a swiss company and as such the kids Xmas parties the company used to put on loads of Swiss chocolate was dished out.

All their motors were very high spec indeed and their transport manager Alan Ball had a free run on purchasing what he wanted on his fleet. I drove their DAF 3600 for a few days & I have to say it done my head in with the exhaust noise from the stack it was horrendous with the air deflector kit it had fitted, The transport department was based in New North Rd, Islington up to about the late 80s before moving to the new depot just off Jct2 of the M6, They are a massive Swiss company associated with forges & pipe works around the world.

dave docwra:

Kempston:

DEANB:
George Fischer Transcon.

All their motors were very high spec indeed and their transport manager Alan Ball had a free run on purchasing what he wanted on his fleet. I drove their DAF 3600 for a few days & I have to say it done my head in with the exhaust noise from the stack it was horrendous with the air deflector kit it had fitted, The transport department was based in New North Rd, Islington up to about the late 80s before moving to the new depot just off Jct2 of the M6, They are a massive Swiss company associated with forges & pipe works around the world.

Hi Dave,
Just jogged the memory mentioning jcn 2 at Coventry, they ran a few 6 wheel 2500 Daf dropside bodies with fitted sheets and I think at least one of those had a stack up the back of the cab!

Kempston:
“DEANB”

George Fischer Transcon.

:laughing: :laughing: Could have sworn i read somewhere on the forum that they had a base in Bedfordshire. :unamused: :wink:

Avery’s from Leighton Buzzard.

DEANB:

Kempston:
“DEANB”

George Fischer Transcon.

:laughing: :laughing: Could have sworn i read somewhere on the forum that they had a base in Bedfordshire. :unamused: :wink:

They certainly had a very large foundry/manufacturing plant in Bedford, think at its height they employed 1,500 people on a very large site, sadly except the Victorian archway which was the entrance to the works and had to be kept it was demolished and the obligatory flats etc have been built on it.

Aerial photo of the factory and the archway.

DAE469C4-358A-4D14-8EA0-BB40C669306A.jpeg

A1AAE54C-1E43-47EB-919E-D05B967A6B3E.jpeg