Bedfordshire hauliers past & current

OldishJoda:

Kempston:
Barretts of Aspley, predominantly steelwork manufacturers but have now branched out into plant and crane hire too. Their yard is next door to where Shanks used to be on brogborough Hill.

Were they not farmers originally at the bottom of Brogborough hill and the entrance now is next door to the old Dogging layby…
If I remember the farm correctly I am sure it was Barretts.

Regards Andy

You may well be correct, certainly the correct location.

Kempston:

OldishJoda:

Kempston:
Barretts of Aspley, predominantly steelwork manufacturers but have now branched out into plant and crane hire too. Their yard is next door to where Shanks used to be on brogborough Hill.

Were they not farmers originally at the bottom of Brogborough hill and the entrance now is next door to the old Dogging layby…

Regards Andy

The dogging lay-by at the bottom of the hill? Is/was that the one by the entrance to the tip? Think the parking area on top of the hill was a popular spot too for alfresco shenanigans…thankfully I’m pure, shy and very innocent. :laughing:

Poikey:

Kempston:

OldishJoda:

Kempston:

Regards Andy

The dogging lay-by at the bottom of the hill? Is/was that the one by the entrance to the tip? Think the parking area on top of the hill was a popular spot too for alfresco shenanigans…thankfully I’m pure, shy and very innocent. :laughing:

I’ll bow to your greater knowledge on dogging sites :laughing: but yes the lay-by became the slip road off the A421 from the M1 into Shanks Brogborough landfill site.

Export & General of Leighton Buzzard

London brick didn’t buy many Bedford’s.

Totterhoe lime, no longer going I believe.

8CEF1F25-95AF-4149-BE6A-0920AC786248.jpeg

Kempston:

They finished quite a few years ago, the old Lime works are now used for Plasterboard recycling i believe.

trevor.stone70:

Kempston:

They finished quite a few years ago, the old Lime works are now used for Plasterboard recycling i believe.

Thanks for the info Trevor, I wonder how they recycle plasterboard?

One of Charles Wells breweries old tankers, I seem to recall they had a couple of Bedford KM artics but could be wrong on that? Pictured here with The stand of one end of Bedford Town old football ground in the top right of the photo.

Have to be honest I’ve never heard of this firm before so happy if anyone can shed some light on them.

One of Woodcocks after loading out of Robson of Carlisle, looks like a load of United Glass, maybe for Flitwick?

A new motor for Izzards.

In contrast this old girl has been round the block a few times.

Couple of Ivel Transport from Biggleswade. Nmp

An old D & G.Noble 6 wheeler loaded with bricks, nmp

Apart from this being an intresting advert from 1965, it also features a Bedford of J.A.C. Bain Haulage from Dunstable.

DEANB:
Apart from this being an intresting advert from 1965, it also features a Bedford of J.A.C. Bain Haulage from Dunstable.

It’s hard to believe how and why they ever stopped making them tbh Dean. Also can never fathom out why they didn’t make an 8 wheeler TM.

One of Doherty’s old Dafs from Luton. Nmp

Kempston:
One of Doherty’s old Dafs from Luton. Nmp

That’s a blast from the past-I seem to remember they had a few F7 eight wheelers.
Darren Docherty runs a few grabs painted in the same shade of green

A few of their F7s here Andrew, not the best quality I’m afraid.

Think this one took a wrong turn coming out of Toddington! :laughing: