Bedford Lorries, you used to see them everywhere

andrew.s:

Froggy55:
Thanks to all of you for the explainations. Were the “big” TLs also powered by a GM/Detroit 2-stroker?

No they had turbocharged blue series 500 Bedford engines ,and I’m pretty sure my mates one had a 9 speed fuller gearbox

An O/D at our quarry had a TL six wheeler tipper new in 1986 and that had the Fuller nine speed box. He added an extra X member from a Leyland to the chassis below the gearbox to support it as he wasn’t happy with the factory set-up, it gave him good service and when he later purchased a new AWD six wheeler it continued working for a few more years with another O/D.

Pete.

Thanks for your quick answers, as usual!

I see in this article that the TL was also available with two petrol engines:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_TL

Which were the customers for such a fitting?

Froggy55:

Petrol engined TK’s were popular for horse transporters, often with female drivers, so maybe the same with TL’s as well?

Pete.

windrush:

Froggy55:

Petrol engined TK’s were popular for horse transporters, often with female drivers, so maybe the same with TL’s as well?

Pete.

I drove a couple of petrol TKs, despite them not being horse boxes or me being a lady! Very quiet but, it seemed to me, to be low powered. Certainly drank a lot of fuel.

Thnaks. Their consumption was certainly not an argument in favour of petrol trucks! In France, the last produced were the Citroën “Belphegor” and also a few Berliet 770 KEH for fire rescue use.

A KM I’m currently making for someone

Superb job Andrew.

andrew.s:
A KM I’m currently making for someone

If you had displayed it outside, I would have taken it for a real truck. Very neat job!

In Netherlands :

Looks like a DAF!

I guess this one is a conversion? Thanks.

Froggy55:
0I guess this one is a conversion? Thanks.

That’s a great picture!
I’ve never seen a six wheel S -type before

1970 /80’s carnival, Shiney Row, Co Durham.

Tyneside

andrew.s:

big al st:

andrew.s:

My mate sent me a couple of pictures of this earlier!!
It looks fantastic.are you the owner of the TL?

My father had a drive of this a few years ago and really liked it,unfortunately I didn’t get the chance to drive the TL,but I’d loved to have had a go.

Driven this and actually worked on it a few times,love it to bits!!