Bedford Lorries, you used to see them everywhere

Retired Old ■■■■:

Bewick:

Retired Old ■■■■:
The “Holy Grail” was a weigh ticket showing, 2T 19C 3Q . :wink: :laughing: :wink: :laughing:

In later years when ULW was still used for taxation you could claim an allowance for coolant @ 10llb per gallon and so much derv @ 9Ilb per gal. IIRC Cheers Dennis.

Yes, claim for a full tank of fuel when there was only a cupful in the tank! :wink:

Well as if I would do such a thing ! :open_mouth: But I recall having a few disagreements with the local vehicle excise bods at periodic re-weighs they used to call for. We could choose a weighbridge convenient for “the operator” so as I knew the guy lived in Kendal I always chose the weighbridge on Salthouse road in Barrow early doors ! ( 'cause we loaded in Bowater Scotts) it used to wind the ■■■■ up no end as the lazy ■■■■ had to have an early start to be down in Barrow for 8:30 am. The check weighs did tail off and we never got done for under taxing ! But once we did get a rebate on a MK1 Atky because it was weighed off in the 5cwt bracket below what I had it taxed at ! Now that ■■■■■■ the bloke off big time as he crawled all over the motor to look for the “dodge” :wink: I didn’t tell him I had swapped the fleet nos. from the 40 foot trailer I should have taken onto a 36ft SL York tandem ! ■■■■ 'em I said ! Cheers Dennis.

Retired Old ■■■■:

Bewick:

Retired Old ■■■■:
The “Holy Grail” was a weigh ticket showing, 2T 19C 3Q . :wink: :laughing: :wink: :laughing:

In later years when ULW was still used for taxation you could claim an allowance for coolant @ 10llb per gallon and so much derv @ 9Ilb per gal. IIRC Cheers Dennis.

Yes, claim for a full tank of fuel when there was only a cupful in the tank! :wink:

Not forgetting to take the passenger seat out .

rigsby:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Bewick:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Not forgetting to take the passenger seat out .

That was the first thing that got slung out Dave ! Cheers Dennis. :wink:

my first truck was the 10 ton gross tk on 17 inch wheels, which would dip under the 3 ton empty at the local weighbridge, the cost at the time was horrendous £2 for a tare weight ticket, 5 shillings for a gross weight, thanks dennis, and what do you think of the two mirror glasses each side
wing mirrors, great until I went across the railway lines for the Romney hythe and dimchurch railway where all 4 glasses fell out and obviously shattered, well that’s strange the picture is the right way up in my gallery.

Retired Old ■■■■:
I remember going to our local saw mills with new lorries to obtain the necessary weigh ticket for registration. The mill with it’s weighbridge was about 100 yards from our depot which meant that every last ounce was whittled off the vehicle before weighing,- all the water was drained, half the oil was drained from the sump, the spare wheel (and it’s carrier) were removed together with the passenger seat and any tools that came with the vehicle. The two heavy duty six volt batteries were temporarily replaced with a twelve volt item from the boss’ car!
Many3 a Bedford S-type or a Thorneycroft Sturdy came under the three ton limit in this way. Not only was road tax cheaper and the lorry could be driven on a car licence but it would be subject to a 30 mph speed limit instead of 20.

My dad was talking about this over Christmas. He reckons he knew owners around Lancaster area who had wooden dummy springs made up and fitted as long as all the other lurks as above. He also said that he never had to pass a driver’s test of any kind due to the war and tests being suspended in the early days.

Spud1960:
What alot of people dont realise is just how popular Bedford’s were abroad. I would like to know
which British model sold the most trucks abroad ? I have no figures but from what i have seen
i reckon the Bedford TK/TL range would be right at the top.

Here’s a couple of examples…

Bedford in Alkmaar 1972.jpg

HI, FOLKS , MY FIRST LORRY AT 17 WAS A SEDDON 5L P6 5 SPEED BOX ,SINGLE SPEED AXLE , TO GET IT UNDER 3TON ULW , WAS 1 GALLON OF DERV , SINGLE WHEELS ON REAR ,BATTERIES OFF SIDE AND TAIL BOARDS OFF ,PASSENGER SEAT OUT ,WITH WATER AND OIL TAKEN INTO ,JUST SCRAPPED UNDER , HAPPY DAYS CHEERS BARRY

An Italian exemplar:

d9a44dff37954fdb53eff1f00ba67ef9.jpg
Can’t make the company out, somebody will know. You’d imagine it would run at top wack, does anyone know engine / box?

coomsey:
Can’t make the company out, somebody will know. You’d imagine it would run at top wack, does anyone know engine / box?

Hi coomsey, it’s still around this photo in 2007, almost sure it’s the same reg different body…more here viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40807&hilit=chepstow&start=5700 scroll down.
Oily

oiltreader:

coomsey:

Hi coomsey, it’s still around this photo in 2007, almost sure it’s the same reg different body…more here viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40807&hilit=chepstow&start=5700 scroll down.
Oily

So it is Oily . But still a bit of a mystery, unless I haven’t read it right. I wonder what she hauled first n like Carl said why not buy one off the peg unless she were a 6whlr conversion or summat. Cheers Paul

coomsey:

R G Tait & Sons Ltd Haydon Bridge. They became the first Volvo Distributor in England and probably sold Hutchinsons the first F86.

Bewick:

coomsey:

R G Tait & Sons Ltd Haydon Bridge. They became the first Volvo Distributor in England and probably sold Hutchinsons the first F86.

I guess you must know what they carted then Dennis. Cheers Paul

coomsey:

Bewick:

coomsey:

I guess you must know what they carted then Dennis. Cheers Paul

Some of the N. East Lads will have a better idea than me but it could have been limestone to various Steel Works. Cheers Dennis.

moomooland:

Smashing pic mml. Be nice to know a bit more about Coffs,read about them a while back in the Berkshire thread. Great line up. :slight_smile: Mike.

moomooland:

Thanks for the picture MML, that reminds me of my fleet of Matchbox models I had as a child!

thelongdrag:

moomooland:

Smashing pic mml. Be nice to know a bit more about Coffs,read about them a while back in the Berkshire thread. Great line up. :slight_smile: Mike.

They were fairly local to me when I lived in the area Mike, they owned several gravel pits and had a large fleet of tippers and mixers. Had a bit of a ‘reputation’ but I’m not sure why though? Of course they also had some tippers based in Buxton.

Pete.

thelongdrag:

moomooland:

The Coffs were very shrewd operators from what I have gathered . They bough a lot of land and gravel pits on the projected line of the m4 , and obviously made a killing when it was built . They came up to Buxton and bought the mineral rights to Grin Quarry and reopened it . It was never a long term project as the quarry didn’t have long term reserves of stone , but Peak Park and Derbyshire County Council got their knickers in a twist over it . They had some good contracts , Knowsley safari park and Manchester airport runway ex tension and RMC round Manchester . When the local pressure got bad they sold the quarry to Limmer and Trinidad who sold out to Tarmac , Grin Quarry was closed immediately and Tarmac got the brownie points . As I said Coffs got the quarry for a song and came out of the deal very nicely thank you . Dave