Bedford Artics

Bedford were once a popular mark on the UK roads many operators and own account fleets ran large fleets of rigids, but they never really captured the maximum weight (32 or 38 ton of the day) market.
Any one remember driving one, any pictures?

backload:
Bedford were once a popular mark on the UK roads many operators and own account fleets ran large fleets of rigids, but they never really captured the maximum weight (32 or 38 ton of the day) market.
Any one remember driving one, any pictures?

Plenty of threads on this forum about full weight Bedford artics! Here’s one to start you off:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=121399

And there’s another thread about TMs with RHD.

Robert

Thanks for the link to LHD Bedford TM. Was interested to find out which UK operators used them, remember seeing a lot of them used by the armed forces in the 70s and 80s but not choice of the UK Haulage market.

This Bedford artic Had a Leyland Comet engine & a Eaton 2 speed axle & performed very well, It was owned by my cousin whos farther ran Bedfords for years, This one also pulled a tipper trailer & had a 14 ton payload running tar & roadstone, Regards Larry.

Another Watford great O Model with a unusual load, Regards Larry.

A well loaded O model once again, Regards Larry.

Here’s one on furniture haulage with crew cab on top

Bedford.jpg

Not a unit that operated in the UK but did some good work in long distance to the north here in West Aus during the 70s, operated at 33tonnes GCM but could be up rated to 35 tonnes with a permmited load.
I posted this on another Bedford thread a while back now.
Cheers DIG

SCAN0004.jpg

We did have Bedford KM artics on general haulage in the UK DIG! Here’s one that I understand even had a 9-speed Fuller 'box. :wink: Robert

Thanks Robert it sounds like they had similar specs the Aus model had a V6.53 Detroit 9 or 10 speed Fuller and a big Eaton 2speed,that one belonged to a good friend and it handled 35 tonnes gross without problem.
Cheers DIG

Harris,s climbing Standedge IIRC, Regards Larry.

Bedford TK 5 speed / 2 speed axle /leyland engine , with a ballast box

boat - 1898 steamer , used on oxford - cambridge boat races

Oops wrong photo, Regards Larry.

8542101184_6c7b781cdc.jpg

A couple of TK,s with a good load on

and a hard working 8 wheeler

cheers Johnnie

This on eBay at the moment

Started off with an Austin FFK 150 with a 2000 cu ft body around about 1972 -cost £65
Then an Austin FJK with a box body that I swapped for a flat -cost £175

NEXT in 1973 a Bedford KM unit around a1yr & bit old -cost £450. Plus £1,000 for a 40’ widespread tandem with full twistlocks

The KM set me up, a gallon of oil every 70 miles - but what an earner, within a year I earnt enough for an 18 month old 1418 Merc and then on to Middle East work in 74

Have to thank the Bedford KM for that – you wouldn’t want to spend your life in such a cheap flimsly piece of kit – but at the same time would take all manner of punishment without a murmer of complaint

robert1952:
We did have Bedford KM artics on general haulage in the UK DIG! Here’s one that I understand even had a 9-speed Fuller 'box. :wink: Robert

Beresford had KMs with Detroit motors , regards Keith .