Becoming owner driver

Thinking of becoming a owner drive is there anybody with some advice where to start

Thinking of becoming a owner drive is there anybody with some advice where to start

==========================================

I’ve merged your two topics that had the same title. dd.

jay smyth:

Management CPC,contacts for work,costings v potential revenues for resulting job offers,only then start thinking about starting up. :bulb:

Some of the requirements are here

gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicl … r/overview

Then make sure you have a few quid in the bank and lube up :grimacing:

if you are seeking advice on where to start on an anonymous forum then I’d respectfully suggest that you shouldn’t be doing it in the first place. Ideally you should be well versed in all aspects of the sector that you are interested in entering. That includes fixed costs and also pricing, before you even start to think about bidding for work. This country is full of would be entrepenuers who happily undercut prices in the mistaken belief that " well it only costs £x to do the job so I’ll charge £x +1 to do it myself" and six months down the line go bust after forcing the rates down to their level. Closely research costs versus rewards would be my advice.

I am a driver and have been for 10 years I was thinking of going it alone maybe it to bulk haulage ie wood chips or something like that I should’ve been more pacific been with the same firm for 8 years

jay smyth:
I am a driver and have been for 10 years I was thinking of going it alone maybe it to bulk haulage ie wood chips or something like that I should’ve been more pacific been with the same firm for 8 years

I think the Maoster has give you good advice. Research the owner drivers forum here, then come back here or there with more specific questions. Its rather a blunderbus approach question you’ve asked.

Ok cheers

Thinking the same any advise would be good

yes don’t bother.

unless you have cpc, money in the bank, work and by work I mean your own contract as subbying is pointless (like working on containers for someone else.) your just taking the hassle and stress to make someone else money.

other than that good luck.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=122308&p=1922859&hilit=Owner+operator#p1922859

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=124322&p=1934798&hilit=Owner+operator#p1934798

Search engines are wonderful things

get the work buy a truck

Become an o/driver or save a bit of time, draw all your cash out of the bank and flush it down the khazi. :bulb:
Either way same result, but the latter is quicker than the former.
Or find a business that is a lot less regulated, cut throat, competitive and more profitable with less initial and ongoing outlay.

Once your given your own unit at work it’s like being an owner driver without the stress :smiley:

30 yrs to late Pal.
DONT.
Been there with several tee shirts all of which were worn out dirty and never changed often enough as I was never home !
And I promise it will lead to divorce .

Almost every other week someone asks this question on the Owner and Operators Forum of this website. Have trawl back through the various threads. The most common theme being that the person asking the question is in many instances day dreaming, quite often that person is already in some other business, but somehow seems to think that the roads of Britain are paved with gold; they’re not. If you go ahead you will have almost permanent money worries - only they will be 50 - 100 times bigger than any you may have had before. Forget nice shiny vehicle with your name in big letters and instead study the syllabus for the Operator’s CPC course, in particular the business sections - how to cost an operation and the financial return on an investment. What appears to be mumbo-jumbo at the moment will be what you have to thoroughly understand. Forget entirely the idea of having an outside CPC holder, you need the knowledge the course contains before you can make the decision to go ahead. That achieved you will be in a position to evaluate any offers of work and the vague possibility of making sufficient profit to remain in business.

The short answer however is: forget the idea.

what funds do you need to show now for a cpc out of curiosity? per vehicle?

war1974:
what funds do you need to show now for a cpc out of curiosity? per vehicle?

None for a CPC was about 9k for an international “O” license

sorry glad you knew what I meant 9k don’t last long nowadays.

as they say been there don’t that got the t shirt and book.

never want to re read it again!

jay smyth:

you must be mad.