Becoming a Tanker Driver

I’ve been driving lorries for about 13 ish years now doing most things and been on the continent and i’m working on containers at the moment and have been since last july, i haven’t got a full ADR so would need to get that sorted but i’m wondering how hard it is to get a job on a fuel tanker without any experience?

As long as you learn how to stand on a picket line,then it should be no problem.

(Tin hat donned.)

Ken.

:laughing:

You beat me to that one Ken.

Bloke I know at our firm was a class 2 driver.

Did his class one and ADR and got a job in our tanker division (somewhere down Tilbury way IIRC) within a month of passing both. He oly did bitumen for a while, however.

So, in answer to your question - if you happen to work for a firm that also does ADR tanker work and you have proved yourself to be a decent employee, it can be dead easy, I suppose.

Dave555:
I’ve been driving lorries for about 13 ish years now doing most things and been on the continent and i’m working on containers at the moment and have been since last july, i haven’t got a full ADR so would need to get that sorted but i’m wondering how hard it is to get a job on a fuel tanker without any experience?

I’ve no idea of your intelligence. And i can’t get a grasp of it from your previous posts either. However all things being equall, the ADR exam is multiple choice.
That realistically means that you will pass it, in todays PC climate there are no failures, we’re all winners !!! And in practice i know lota of guys who have ADR qualificatons who have never carried anything more dangerous than bleach.
Go knock 'em dead Dave…not literally though !!!

Dave555:

read the death notices in your local papers to see if any of the drivers have died.
it amazes me.
oil companies gave the work out to hoyers etc years ago to save money on drivers wages and conditions.
now the hoyer drivers have as good as the old drivers would have had.
if the shell driver achieve their 41k claim.
dont bother with the death notices,go to the heaven/hell message board.
i will be on the first cloud before you.