Becoming a C+E driver?

I’m looking into getting my licence for Class 1 C+E however its a bit of a minefield…

I have a few quesitons:

How do i get a C+E license? Do i have to go for my cat C licence then upgrade to C+E or can i go direct?
How much was your full training?
Will training costs cover all fees like medical, theroy, practical, etc…?

At the moment yes you have to do C before C+E.

The government are currently looking at proposals to allow training for C+E without doing C first.

Training costs vary and choose wisely who you train with.

Go and see then, have an assesment drive etc and don’t use a train g broker unless you like being ripped off.

A decent trainer will be able to give you a price and real with everything you need.

Oh and forum sponsor Peter Smythe transport training give trucknet users a 10% discount and also free accommodation if more then 70 miles away from you. And they are very recommended on here. Again they help you with all aspects or like I said choose wisely based on reviews and recommendations.

Step 1: Provisional entitlement for Class 2, this requires 2 forms one of them is a medical certificate. I’d strongly recommend using D4Drivers as they are cheap and efficient (50£)
Step 2 Book your theory tests, these consist of 3 tests in total( theory, hazard and cpc case studies) +1 around the lorry for the CPC show me questions
Step 3. Find a good training provider, I’d recommend PSTT as they’re good and you’ll get a trucknet discount.
Step 4. Pass the test

You won’t need another theory test once you have the class 2, you only have to drive for Class 1

Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DO NOT CHOOSE A BROKER
They are usually the ones who claim to have loads of training schools nationwide

thanks for all the advise/tips guys! :slight_smile:

Get your name down if your serious 6-8 week wait at the moment :wink:

The following government website outlines the process from start to finish:

Essentially a full-service package may well suit your needs because the school will take you through the stages step by step. It may not be the case that all schools offer this kind of service though. They may possibly point you in the direction of a decent doctor and give you the D2/D4 forms pack. They may sell or loan to you the revision material for you to self-study and apply for the theory tests yourself.

What is for sure is that modules 3 and 4 require a vehicle and instructor, so these require a school for the majority of people.

With the current situation at the DVLA, probably best to get the medical done and D2/D4 forms sent by recorded mail with a scanned copy safely on your computer (if you are serious that is).

After reading this that they may allow
People very shortly to skip the class 2 licence and jump straight to class 1 im now feeling a bit silly for jumping into class 2 next week. It would be infuriating to save for so long then have to save again for class 1 when others are allowed to skip the hard work required to get there! And then will be my direct completion in the work place!

It’s doubtful if the costs of training will reduce for direct to CE as the same amount of training will be required. Indeed, an artic is considerably more expensive to operate - so look out for price increases!!

Get stuck in and do it asap is my advice.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Although they’re proposals to change the licensing, i would imagine these things might take some time. It seems they asking for feedback first and will probably have to set out a date for proposed changes.o think they have to do another consultation which could be months away. Will take some time for trainers and companies to adapt. I think if you’re seriously about doing it then crack on and go for it ASAP. Best of luck