Beaver-tail?

Twice now the agency have asked me if I’ve any beaver tail experience. What’s so special about them - why the need for experience?

Need experience for the half-mile tail-swing the most of em seem to have!!

lol, you should see some of the puddle jumpers I’ve driven full of polystyrene! 8foot plus of swing out.

Obviously there’s a reason for it but I don’t know it.

With a tag axled rigid you can be talking about 14’ of overhang, you could soon clear the pavement of bus stops, phone boxes and pedestrians.

More likely the beavertail question is relating to the load rather than the vehicle, typically a beavertail vehicle will be collecting delivering plant that needs to be loaded / driven on and off, safely and secured so that it stays there. There’s not margin for error in some cases and there’s a load of shonky old plant out there which will do it’s utmost to kill the unwary.

Now I know that’s a bit dramatic but it’s easy enough to turn a machine over or get into a muddle.

A long time ago I compiled some (potentially) useful info for anyone who might get faced with some plant or other. Something here might just be useful one day.

I’ve just re-read it myself and noticed the hit counter at the bottom 7800 hits. :astonished:

Thanks 8wheels, I’ll have a look soon however it’s doubtful I’ll ever need it. As far as driving the thing goes I’ve no worries and securing any load is mostly common sense so not too worried there either driving any weird contraption- willing to try anything once but it’s undoubtably my weak point. Was curious more than anything. Thanks again.