Beast from East

Sitting watching the news. Media and social media driven mass hysteria and panic. Trains cancelled as it might snow within 24hrs. Commuters told to go home. Warnings that people will die in minus 12 temps. Sorry folks its just reality of winter. It gets cold and it snows. Put on extra clothes and a hat. If your from Newcastle id suggest buying a jumper as short sleeves might not cut it.
Me… Ill be warming the cab up before I start to load up. Kettle on for a nice hot cuppa once im done.

Congrats on being well hard.

Think they might be giving the warnings to people who are not - like the elderly, or those who have weakened immune systems.

But top stuff in pointing out you will warm your truck up.

sammym:

Think they might be giving the warnings to people who are not - like the elderly, or those who have weakened immune systems.

Make sure you do the same Sammy, don’t want another one of your usual panic/moany posts do we?
"Got to work loads of snow on windscreen, couldn’t find an ice breaker, so just thought I’d drive it anyway, hoping that the heater would clear the screen before I got to the gatehouse, so that I didn’t hit it.!! Won’t be getting out to strap the load, cos it’s cold!!!

CraigM:
Sitting watching the news. Media and social media driven mass hysteria and panic. Trains cancelled as it might snow within 24hrs. Commuters told to go home. Warnings that people will die in minus 12 temps. Sorry folks its just reality of winter. It gets cold and it snows. Put on extra clothes and a hat. If your from Newcastle id suggest buying a jumper as short sleeves might not cut it.
Me… Ill be warming the cab up before I start to load up. Kettle on for a nice hot cuppa once im done.

Craig, you just couldn’t make it up could you ? !! Was watching the news on the BBC at 6 this evening and they were saying that train companies in the east were suspending services asking commuters to leave their offices early or finding other ways to get home. It’s a few snowflakes, not Siberia. Is it because the train drivers want an early finish to their shift :slight_smile: I’ve driven in Scandinavia, yeah I know they’re used to it, but they don’t suddenly stop because this years snow is worse than last years ! Here in France we’ve been warned of the “Moscow-Paris Express” telling us that temp’s may go down to as low as -20 in the East of the country, luckily I’m in Normandie we’re waiting for - 10 max, we haven’t had the news reports that SNCF are cancelling train journeys!!

Infact. Maybe I should panic. Im off down the M74 at 5am. Might have to night out at Cairn lodge if l run out of hours.

if its going to be as bad as that with snow and low temperatures,then the glasgow rac and aa patrols will be getting issued with a severe weather survival pack in case they have to assist the emergency rescue teams…
denim jacket,10 regal and a bottle of iron bru.
every year the only thing that gets worse is that more fannys get caught up in the media mass whiteout siberia whiteout chaos mince.
any excuse for the schools to shut and a day or 3 off your work. totally useless zoomers with h&s in case someone gets a snowball in the face.
the ones we used to throw ended up as slush/ice balls with a stone inside for extra effect. :slight_smile:

pierrot 14:

sammym:

Make sure you do the same Sammy, don’t want another one of your usual panic/moany posts do we?
"Got to work loads of snow on windscreen, couldn’t find an ice breaker, so just thought I’d drive it anyway, hoping that the heater would clear the screen before I got to the gatehouse, so that I didn’t hit it.!! Won’t be getting out to strap the load, cos it’s cold!!!

You need to observe my posting more closely.

I’ll be sitting in the wagon and doing nothing until it’s melted. I’m paid by the hour :slight_smile:

southern pansies…back in the day everyone just got on with winter.(including these dudes )
the threat of an instant lifetime ban means i cant comment on the content,but make your own up if you dare without smiling. :wink:
youtube.com/watch?v=tKOYJVE2924

sammym:

pierrot 14:

sammym:

You need to observe my posting more closely.

:slight_smile:

I did observe your post but maybe you should observe the post you were commenting on

CraigM:

Got to head back up to Hull from London via the A1. Wasn’t more than a dusting on the way down but still people were panicking and doing 30mph.

We just don’t get enough of the stuff for people to get used to it.

pierrot 14:
Craig, you just couldn’t make it up could you ? !! Was watching the news on the BBC at 6 this evening and they were saying that train companies in the east were suspending services asking commuters to leave their offices early or finding other ways to get home. It’s a few snowflakes, not Siberia. Is it because the train drivers want an early finish to their shift :slight_smile: I’ve driven in Scandinavia, yeah I know they’re used to it, but they don’t suddenly stop because this years snow is worse than last years ! Here in France we’ve been warned of the “Moscow-Paris Express” telling us that temp’s may go down to as low as -20 in the East of the country, luckily I’m in Normandie we’re waiting for - 10 max, we haven’t had the news reports that SNCF are cancelling train journeys!!

The ‘Beast from the East’ actually so far turned out to be a slight north east breeze if that and above freezing temperatures with a bit of wet snow that melted as soon as it landed.It’s now absolutely calm and around freezing. :unamused:

Meanwhile I was doing a night trunks to kent during this period and it got so bad that they told me… to use a rigid instead of the artic. :smiling_imp:

youtube.com/watch?v=GGqdV9A0Zns

youtube.com/watch?v=srOC7pg9UAU

youtube.com/watch?v=tGeqe_Bznws

^^^^^ agreed. Wish we had proper winters like the olden days [emoji4]
Just my bloody luck I’m missing it over on the wrong side of the Pennines [emoji30]

That headline made me think you were on about Dozy , ain’t he from the east ( of England) …I’ll get me coat.

I was expecting to open my curtains today to see some form of end-of-world scenario with the way this has been covered in the media. Think we’ve had all of maybe 2mm. Gridlock then :laughing:

A bit of humble pie from this premature poster [emoji45]
Should have pulled me curtains back first. Now where did I stow my bag of ice and snow shovel…[emoji848]

pierrot 14:

sammym:

Do you count waiting for the truck to warm up and someone else to strap the load up as break other work or poa

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I got me big coat out for nowt. :smiley:

pierrot 14:
Craig, you just couldn’t make it up could you ? !! Was watching the news on the BBC at 6 this evening and they were saying that train companies in the east were suspending services asking commuters to leave their offices early or finding other ways to get home. It’s a few snowflakes, not Siberia. Is it because the train drivers want an early finish to their shift :slight_smile:

Apparently it’s because train operating companies are fined if trains run late or are cancelled at short notice , but not if they are cancelled in advance.

sammym:

:smiley: :smiley:

The Police have been saying for some time that one must not only clear off all windows and lights, but also the roof so that snow and ice does not blow/fall offinto the path of other vehicles and pedestrians. Quite right too, so many think that a small hole right in front of their eyes is all that is needed. At any speed a sheet of ice and snow falling off a trailer has the same effect on a windscreen as a lump of concrete thrown off a motorway bridge.

So since there is a lot more and it has further to fall, how is one supposed to clear 6" of snow off the top of a 14’ high trailer? Health and Safety rules apply.