BCA

I’ve applied for a tramper role with them and had an email back pointing out it’s 4/5 nights out every week and asked if I wish to go ahead with an interview.

I don’t really know what I might be letting myself in for and need to decide whether to make the jump. Have never done car transporter work. Any advice would be really appreciated thanks.

There’s one or two very experienced in transporters on here. They’ll appear before too long with good advice.

TiredAndEmotional:
There’s one or two very experienced in transporters on here. They’ll appear before too long with good advice.

Yes, carryfast and connor will be along in a minute…

Do a general search for ‘car transporters’ on this very forum, there have been a few really good threads.

BCA was previously Stobart Automotive (so any posts relating to them is relevant) and now includes Paragon, both of which have been under different names prior to that, quite a few names in the case of Paragon stretching right back to Eurofleet.

Along with low loader type work it’s probably the hardest physical work in general lorry driving now, where it differs from ■■■■■■■ food like the shop delivery lads do is that your joints suffer due to the constant bending twisting and flexing, not helped by cars having to be tied down with wheelstraps, it was a lot easier with underbody strapping, but summer is the very best time to start.

It doesn’t suit everyone, and not everyone can do it, that’s no reflection on them as such it’s just one of those jobs you either take to or you don’t, simple as that, there aren’t really any half measures.
It will take a long time to learn, think in many many months, possibly couple of years before you get really to grips with it where you feel comfortable no matter what loads and destinations they chuck at you.

I’m unsure of what BCA pay rate currently is, Stobart kept Walon2 agreement going for the full size transporters, but i don’t know if that’s the case now…if your head spins when they attempt to explain the pay then it probably is still Walon2 :laughing:

Still Walon 2 I think, but it’s difficult to make it pay on auction work and multi-drop work.

A good place to go to learn the job and make expensive mistakes whilst gaining valuable experience.

What is Walon2?

Rowley010:
What is Walon2?

It’s a pay agreement from the days before Stobart or even Autologic (which was the parent company anyway) when the company was WalonUK.

As Judehamish, you do need the right work to make it pay.

Juddian:

Rowley010:
What is Walon2?

It’s a pay agreement from the days before Stobart or even Autologic (which was the parent company anyway) when the company was WalonUK.

Not sure I like the sound of that. What’s the driver turnover rate like?

They want me to go to Bedford for the interview - about 60 miles away.

$$$:

Juddian:

Rowley010:
What is Walon2?

Thurleigh?
Paragon site.

I’ve been out of the game for a good few years now, but driver dropout has always been high, either in the first few weeks or within the first year, and i can’t see that ever changing.

Juddian:

$$$:

Juddian:

Rowley010:
What is Walon2?

Thurleigh?
Paragon site.

I’ve been out of the game for a good few years now, but driver dropout has always been high, either in the first few weeks or within the first year, and i can’t see that ever changing.

Yes Thurleigh business park.

Where do car transporters park up over night? Don’t see them that often in the truck stops

Rowley010:
Where do car transporters park up over night? Don’t see them that often in the truck stops

We usually park on industrial estates or near to dealerships or auctions. Don’t know about others. :smiley:

Rowley010:

Services and tarmaced areas mainly. Have you seen the ground clearance on them things?

Rowley010:

Most of the bigger operators with several depots the drivers if out will often overnight at the depots, sometimes at customers premises, if on car rental work then they might park on an industrial estate near the rental site or on the site itself if big enough.
Due to length, plus the overhangs front and rear makes so many MSA’s (imagine Stensham South 10ft+ longer than a normal artic) and lorry parks are difficult at best with lots of potential for damage especially at the front end where in the dark its easy to miss a car sticking out 6 ft in front of the top of the cab :open_mouth: :wink:

You would have found me parked somewhere quiet usually within walking distance of a pub that does food, never really been a truckstop fan.

the maoster:

Rowley010:

Services and tarmaced areas mainly. Have you seen the ground clearance on them things?

Fair point, you wouldn’t want to take it over that surface at the red lion would you

Rowley010:

Never been in Cherwell Valley in the evening then?

Munchkin:

Rowley010:

Never been in Cherwell Valley in the evening then?

or Gordano :open_mouth:

I think the interview went ok, and passed the driving assessment, will find out at the end of the week. I think if it’s offered I’ll go for it, nothing to lose really.