Bbc two. Airport live

Did anyone find it fascinating.When you buy a plane ticket it puts in to perspective of what happens behind the scenes and is good value if you think of the cost of a new or replacment engine.And did you see the Ryan air and Easy jet documentary last night with Stellios getting five million from his Dad to start Easy jet.

It’s the man hours that go into the maintenance that gets me especially on the larger planes no wonder it’s not cheap to fly BA.

its actualy cheper to fly ba , that virgin or easy jet when you add baggage ,

Vikings Tip of the Day

Buy a small luggage scale from the Pound Shop & take it on holiday with you, that way the Money Grabbing Airline won’t catch you out at the check in desk & charge you £200 for £20 worth if Foreign Tak/Prezzies over loading your bags.

Airport live was a brilliant programme and the BBC should do more programmes like that with our money. I’d be happy just being able to see the view from the air traffic control tower (and I don’t just mean Steph, the blonde girl :smiley: ).
I also saw the Easyjet/Ryanair programme afterwards and although Michael O Leary must be very shrewd I think I’d end up thumping him :laughing:

Shall i apply for the brake rider job.You sit in the captains seat with feet on the brakes while the aircraft is being towed empty.Bet he has a play with the buttons and dials on a 520 ton Airbus double decker A380.
Boeing should have made a double decker on the 747.

Ryan air staff buy your own pen or nick them from a hotel and no mobile phone charging to save the lecky bill.

holliefabbabe:

I’ll have to totally disagree with that .

Yes it was a fantastic programme from start to Finnish where we found out some fascinating things about the aviation industry. It reminds me a lot of the Railwatch programme which was on the BBC in the early 90s where they spent a week with British Rail.

bald bloke:

holliefabbabe:

I’ll have to totally disagree with that .

not with us bud ,

toby1234abc:
Boeing should have made a double decker on the 747.

Believe it or not Boeing did draw up designs for the 747 to be double deck but decided against it, hence the new 747-8 is of conventional design…
Anyway, i found that programme interesting too, especially the air traffic control… :sunglasses:

I wish they’d focused on the 767/777 & the actual flying & operation of the machines instead of the 380 flying elephant, good programme though…

Pimpdaddy:
I wish they’d focused on the 767/777 & the actual flying & operation of the machines instead of the 380 flying elephant, good programme though…

They didnt focus entirely on the A380, but I guess it depended on what aircraft was on the ground at the time though, as when the programme was filmed that’s when the A380s would be getting prepared for service :wink:
Qantas, Emirates and Singapore Airlines all leave Heathrow at that time of night and Malaysia Airlines have recently introduced the A380 and BA are due some next month too :wink:
I have 2 1:144 kits of the A380 to build as well as 2 1:125 scale kits to build :sunglasses:
Though more on the 767/777 would have been nice :sunglasses:
Yes I admit I’m an airliner geek :laughing: :laughing:

I thought it was a great program makes a change from the usual guff on bbc saying that I am a bit off a plane geek or anything with an engine really, I’m the only person I know who gets excited at the end off a holiday just to get back on a plane.daf95xf did you watch the programme they made bout how the a380 was designed and built they had to move most off it on a barge and I think even designed a cargo carrier to take the fusalage it was on one off the sky documentary program’s was worth a watch.

Karl86:
daf95xf did you watch the programme they made bout how the a380 was designed and built they had to move most off it on a barge and I think even designed a cargo carrier to take the fusalage it was on one off the sky documentary program’s was worth a watch.

I did, quite impressive, especially seeing one take off as its really quite for its size :open_mouth:
I’ve seen the 787 Dreamliner take off too, now that is very quite :sunglasses:

Having worked at airports i was frustrated at some of the stuff they did not mention. For example, they said every aircraft can now land at Heathrow. Er no they can’t. Every airport has a catergory rating, and dependent on what that rating is, and whether the aircraft and pilot have the relevant equipment and training depends whether it can land there. i.e most airports are cat 3. That menas provided the aircraft has the correct equipment and the pilot has the training they can land in thick fog. Usually in thick fog if the airfield is not visible, the pilot will use the ILS system to put the aircraft on the deck, therefore the airfield is usually a Cat 3. They should have explained this, as it would help to explain why there are diversions in thick fog.
They also missed out the fuellers. without the fuellers no aircraft can fly, and therefore there’s no need for anyone else. Having said that, the company who do the fuelling at Heathrow, and 90% of uk airports are not really media friendly, and would probably explain why they weren’t included. As for maintenence, every airline has, by law got to do regular maintenence to the same standard. So, BA doing an A2 check, is exactly the same as ryanair and Easyjet, virgin etc. 50 minute turn rounds are a doddle. Easyjet, Ryanair and a few others are on 25 minute turnrounds. That can be tight when the aircraft requires 15 tons plus of fuel, doable in about 22 minutes. The five and a half tons they put on the BA can be done in 10 minutes, and in some cases, less, depending what fuel he has on when he comes in. There is a minimum level they must have on board when the come in, it was 1000kg and they should always carry enough “divert” fuel. however i never worked at Heathrow, so i stand to be corrected on some points by Heathrow bods

EZY & FR are ■■■■ airlines, thankfully they weren’t on this programme & they talked BA instead. I’m sure the cat3 ILS goes further i.e. cat3A, B & C…

Pimpdaddy:
EZY & FR are [zb] airlines, thankfully they weren’t on this programme & they talked BA instead. I’m sure the cat3 ILS goes further i.e. cat3A, B & C…

I reckon Virgin Atlantic ought to be the British flag carrier not BA…
BTW, VIrgin Atlantics domestic flights, there not VIrgin, it’s Aer Lingus :wink:

EZY and FR do not fly into or out of Heathrow, Gatwick yes. As for the cat 3, you are correct in them having a, b etc. BUT some commercial airfields still operate CAT 2…
Personally i fly FR rather then BA if i’m going to Europe. I don’t care about legroom, i want cheap, and quick turnrounds. I had just been to get my fuel ticket signed one day and was waiting to get off a Tommy cook when a reet knob head decided to have a go at the hostie at the top of the stairs. He’d read his boarding pass wrong, and told her the seat number he had, she checked his ticket and said “no sir, you’re in 38b”, he decided she was wrong and told her she should learn to do her job, so she pointed to the part on the boarding card giving his seat number, no apology from him, just a “i can’t be doing with people who don’t know what they’re doing” Shame they didn’t show things like that…The crews get so much grief, i wouldn’t do the job.

DAF95XF:

Pimpdaddy:
EZY & FR are [zb] airlines, thankfully they weren’t on this programme & they talked BA instead. I’m sure the cat3 ILS goes further i.e. cat3A, B & C…

I reckon Virgin Atlantic ought to be the British flag carrier not BA…
BTW, VIrgin Atlantics domestic flights, there not VIrgin, it’s Aer Lingus :wink:

I’ve never flown with BA so can’t comment, I have flown with Virgin and they were no better than any other airline. We upgraded to premium economy once and it was more expensive than the same service with Thomson, only not as good.