BBC NEWS - consider this before training

Video news report - Recession driving trucks off road
ALSO -
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8037161.stm

Recession ‘hitting lorry numbers’

Figures due out later are expected to show a dramatic fall in the number of heavy goods vehicles on the UK’s roads.
The Department for Transport says the total fell by 7% in the last quarter of 2008, and figures for the first quarter of 2009 are likely to be even worse.
The number of lorry drivers looking for work is reported to have increased five-fold in the last twelve months.
The Road Haulage Association says the sector is losing jobs more quickly than almost any other.
The RHA estimates that there are one million people in the UK who rely on the haulage and logistics industry for work.
Fall in congestion
The haulage sector is suffering in large part because of a fall-off in consumer demand for certain products, such as furniture and cars.
Fewer items being bought means fewer are also being manufactured and imported, reducing the need for those workers who move goods around the country.
Data released by the Office for National Statistics show that a year ago there were just over 3,000 lorry divers receiving Jobseekers Allowance in the UK.
Today that number is now more than 15,000 - an increase even more dramatic than that for bricklayers and masons.
These figures are supported by a sharp fall off in road congestion and traffic at the UK’s major ports.
The company Trafficmaster has recorded 18 consecutive months of decreases in average congestion on motorways and major roads across England. This follows an average increase in every month between 2003 and mid 2007.
On the A14, for example, which connects the port of Felixstowe with the M1 and M6 motorways, congestion in March 2009 was 47% lower than in March 2008.
Experts are putting this change down to fewer numbers of HGV lorries.
The RHA says the haulage business is a key indicator of economic buoyancy and its survival is vital to Britain’s recovery from the recession.
It also points out that hauliers have little or no opportunity to diversify in tough times, so they tend to feel the pinch even more keenly.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

SimonB:
Train now while it’s cheap (before the CPC comes in) - then you’ll have your licence for when things pick up.

Easy.

Si.

Of course you could train now and use the licence as - AN INVESTMENT FOR THE FUTURE :smiley: :smiley: - but that MAY mean a wait of MAYBE 2 years until you can use it for full time employment… be prepared…

That’s about the best I can say, licence in the bag well before the CPC, no luck yet finding work, just have to sit it out. Ho hum :neutral_face:

hi mate

it does not matter if you take you test now or when the cpc come in, cos you will still have to do 35 hour periodic training by 2014 to say so the road any way.

if you take you tests now then you get acquired rights till 2014 but have to do 35 hours of periodic training to continue to drive for a living after 2014

if you wait till after the cpc comes in and say it Sept 2009 you do it it would be call the initial cpc but once you have passed you would still have to do the 35 hours to be allowed to drive for a living after 2014

there is no way of getting round it by doing your tests early or later

By passing the C (or C1) before Sept 10 this year WILL save money on having to do the INITIAL DRIVER CPC.

ROG:
By passing the C (or C1) before Sept 10 this year WILL save money on having to do the INITIAL DRIVER CPC.

hi rog you will only save 85 pounds thats all by doing it now

Driver CPC theory test case studies
£30.00

Driver CPC Practical test (includes automated issue of Driver Qualification Card (DQC)
£55.00

delboytwo:

ROG:

£30.00

Driver CPC Practical test (includes automated issue of Driver Qualification Card (DQC)
£55.00

Will you get the vehicle for part 4 Practical test (£55) for free then? - I don’t think so!!

delboytwo:
£55.00

What’s the point of that :question:

Pay to pass the INITIAL in say, late Sept 2009, get DQC dated late Sept 2014 and still have to complete 35 hours by late Sept 2014
OR
do not pay for the INITAL by passing test before Sept 10 2009 and have to complete 35 hours by 10 Sept 2014 as will be on grandfather rights and do not need DQC card until then.

EDITTED as put 2015 and should be 2014.

ROG:

delboytwo:
£55.00

What’s the point of that :question:

Pay to pass the INITIAL in say, late Sept 2009, get DQC dated late Sept 2015 and still have to complete 35 hours by late Sept 2015
OR
do not pay for the INITAL by passing test before Sept 10 2009 and have to complete 35 hours by 10 Sept 2015 as will be on grandfather rights and do not need DQC card until then.

ROG, it’s the government, so there doesn’t have to be a point to it.
You’ll waste precious brain cells looking into stuff that doesn’t need looking into. :grimacing:
As barmy as it all is, we still have to live with it. :wink:

Smart Mart:

delboytwo:

ROG:

£30.00

£55.00

Will you get the vehicle for part 4 Practical test (£55) for free then? - I don’t think so!!

when you take a test hgv you normal have payed to have the truck for the day any way

so your saying that at the mo lets you charge 125 per day for the use of you truck for training and would do a test in that,
when the cpc comes in you will be putting up your day rate as there is now a extra test

delboytwo:
when you take a test hgv you normal have payed to have the truck for the day any way

so your saying that at the mo lets you charge 125 per day for the use of you truck for training and would do a test in that,
when the cpc comes in you will be putting up your day rate as there is now a extra test

Extra training time will be needed to train the candidate for module 4 - that wil cost money.
The truck will be needed for module 4 at the test centre and if it is not done either just before or just after the road test then another trip to the test centre will be required - more cost

This extra training will not affect the daily rate but may incur an extra day of training and possibly an extra test day specifically for module 4 as well :exclamation: :exclamation:

Module 4 is the pratical off-road INITIAL DRIVER CPC test which is done at the practical test centre.

I don’t think the DSA have any idea how the part 4 tests are going to be fitted into their schedule of tests.

At present the PCV Part 4 tests are carried out one day per month at Peterborough anyway.

Hopefully the DSA will organise things better for the trucks, but as Rog says there will be training for the Part 4 to be done - hopefully it will be able to be taken back to back - personally I don’t see the DSA doing that as organising the timings of tests will be beyond their capabilities!

Four tests a day are conducted at Peterborough and I assume that is the same at all test centres. These test take approximately 1.5 hours, so whilst it would seem to take the same amount of time in a day to do three ordinary tests and three Part 4 tests, I’m not sure the DSA will do that - especially as there will be some tests that do not require a Part 4, such as B+E, and those not wishing to drive for hire and reward, therefore only wanting the current practical test.

Whatever happens I guarantee it will be unsuitable for most people and will definately incur more cost to a trainee who needs all four parts.

Pay to pass the INITIAL in say, late Sept 2009, get DQC dated late Sept 2015 and still have to complete 35 hours by late Sept 2015
OR
do not pay for the INITAL by passing test before Sept 10 2009 and have to complete 35 hours by 10 Sept 2015 as will be on grandfather rights and do not need DQC card until then.

Sorry, but if you do the initial driver cpc in late Sept 09, it will expire 5 years later i.e. late Sept 14. All in all it’s probably best to train prior to the September start. Training costs will rise as the demand increases - which it will eventually (who knows when!). The initial driver cpc has been quite troublesome in the PCV sector due to a general lack of information. It’s slowly improving and I can only hope that the experience we’ve had with this will go towards the LGV sector. Remember that periodic training has no test and no exam to pass.

OR

Peter Smythe:
Sorry, but if you do the initial driver cpc in late Sept 09, it will expire 5 years later i.e. late Sept 14. All in all it’s probably best to train prior to the September start. Training costs will rise as the demand increases - which it will eventually (who knows when!). The initial driver cpc has been quite troublesome in the PCV sector due to a general lack of information. It’s slowly improving and I can only hope that the experience we’ve had with this will go towards the LGV sector. Remember that periodic training has no test and no exam to pass.

OOPS :blush: :blush: - SENIOR MOMENT ALERT !!
You are correct all the 2015 should read 2014
I have editted the original post from where my quote was taken from
THANKS Peter

Given the unlikely occurrence that a newbie might actually be in the running for a job, which one is going to be more attractive to an employer,the guy who passed in august 2009 or the post Sept 10 pass with CPC? Will it matter?Answer that then decide when to train.

Deathstar:
Given the unlikely occurrence that a newbie might actually be in the running for a job, which one is going to be more attractive to an employer,the guy who passed in august 2009 or the post Sept 10 pass with CPC? Will it matter?Answer that then decide when to train.

That is a very good point.

I would imagine that the more relevant qualifications a newbie has then their chances may increase of getting a job over perhaps another newbie without less quals.

To be honest I don’t think employers will be looking at the CPC thing just yet, they will obviously check that you either have it through recent pass or grandfather rights but I doubt they will take much notice of the date you acquired it. The time will come though that it will be written into people’s contracts that the company will give them the time off to do it and it won’t come out of annual holiday entitlement but the driver will be forking out of his own pocket. If you don’t do it then they can basically get rid of you.

How many close to retirement age in 2014 are going to bother doing it for the sake of 2 years or so? How many will try to get away without doing it and still driving?

I know I am having second thoughts/regrets of doing my licences now, it’s a brilliant job and I love being on the road but is it really worth it? All the crap that is going with it (CPC, cabotage rules, brick walls from employers as not got enough experience) and being one of the first industries to be hit by the recessions that will happen in the future. 300% more drivers out of work than 12 months ago, how many of them are going to get a job before me/us newbie’s as they have more experience and to be blunt if I was an employer now I would be ruthless in my selection, I wouldn’t pick average Joe, I would pick someone that will get the job done safely, legally and professionally. I know it’s not a good thing to say on a newbie section but that is the feeling I’m getting now. We won’t be able to get jobs for at least another 2 years due to the amount of people going after each and every job, with the exception of a few lucky peeps out there.

Rant over :open_mouth: , I’m off to bed I’m all tired now, after that.