Bath truck ban starts 2nd March 2015

There is a 16 week road closure from Brassknocker Hill on the A 36 in both directions.
Under 7.5 tons can still use Brassknocker Hill.
Over 7.5 tons, the long diversion is via the A350 Chippenham, then the A 4 to Bath.
Or if under 7.5 tons, the commuter route of Hinton Charterhouse and Midford which will be very congested at peak times.
The road subsidence repairs were postponed due to the landslide in Midford, the cost will be 2.3 Million pounds,as the road is slipping away down to the canal, steel girders inserted under the road.
If coming from the South, I would use the A34 ,M4 for the container drivers.

They might want you to go to Chippenham but mileage can be saved by taking a left out of Melksham, the A 365
signposted Bath that brings you out at Box on the A4. A nice scenic run and I suppose they want to keep it that way.
Do not take the shorter route through Bradford On Avon the locals like taking photos of the ancient river bridge
especially when an overweight truck is crossing it.

Another option for artics is via Trowbridge, follow the signs to the Council recycling centre on Canal road Industrial estate past Airsprung bed factory, take the road to Staverton with the Cereal Partners factory and the old Nestle factory over the river bridge.
You then head to Bath coming out on the Batheaston bypass,as Numbum said AVOID Bradford and it’s 600 year old bridge weight limit, or expect a fine of £ 1000 from the Saga road warriors coffin dodgers with their shiny new hiviz.
You can also use the road by Tesco Trowbridge, pass the fire and ambulance station, with the Fieldways hotel,gym on your left, turn first left on that roundabout towards Staverton that way.
Avoid the 18 ton limits in Trowbridge, due to double parked cars and school runs blocking the roads.

toby1234abc:
There is a 16 week road closure from Brassknocker Hill on the A 36 in both directions.
Under 7.5 tons can still use Brassknocker Hill.
Over 7.5 tons, the long diversion is via the A350 Chippenham,

always cracks me up

If your under 7.5 your ok
If your over 7.5 you gotta go another way

What if your dead on 7.5t your neither :grimacing: just saying :wink: :wink:
Ps thanks for the heads up …

More options for heavies is Shepton Mallet A37 then head to Radstock.
If coming from Wells avoid Croscombe, tight bends, badly parked cars and yummy Mummies in their Chelsea tractors at school time.
Frome has a weight limit and steep hills to lose traction on and a low bridge on the Radstock road,13"6.
But artics are allowed near Frome past the fire station, then past TH Whites to Radsock that way.

How is this a truck ban in Bath? It’s road works that close the road.

I’ve got to take an 18T Rigid into Bath at the end of June for a gig at The Forum. Having never been there, will these works impact me?

Will be travelling down from Mansfeild.

Hammy747:
I’ve got to take an 18T Rigid into Bath at the end of June for a gig at The Forum. Having never been there, will these works impact me?

Will be travelling down from Mansfeild.

No, you’ll be coming down the A46 from the M4. The closure is south of Bath.

Hammy 747, you can park the lorry in the coach park, I am not sure if it is free or payable,it is well signed, by a multi storey car park.
Five minutes walk away is an Odeon cinema, with a Nandos,TGI Fridays,Weatherspoons,Gym with an underground swimming pool,All you can eat Chinese buffet, or wander in to Bath.
The Thai balcony is worth a visit, good restaurant.
The road closure does not affect you.
Lots of students in Bath and stag/hen parties.
You can dine at Carlucios from the Tv series The Greedy Italians, the meals are not expensive.
Or Wagamania for noodle dishes.
For free over night parking North of Bath, there is a lay by off the Tormaton exit for Bath on the M4 near the Dvsa checkpoint weighbridge.
Or park on the industrial estate heading out to Bristol on the lower Bristol road.