Bath A36 Night closures

Just a heads up , the A36 will be closed from 20.00 to 06.00 from November 18 th 2019 , to December 12th 2019, Monday to Friday nights only , shut both ways from Beckington Services roundabout to Bath .

Going through bath might be a no no shortly anyway, the bridge at Cleveland place is knackered and they might be forced to put an 18t limit on it I was reading.

drover:
Going through bath might be a no no shortly anyway, the bridge at Cleveland place is knackered and they might be forced to put an 18t limit on it I was reading.

Yeah next year apparently and it’ll no doubt take a long time to fix too !!

bald bloke:

drover:

Yes I’m sure the article said something about one of the biggest and most complicated engineering projects undertaken in Bath for many years…
My guess is 2 years minimum any advances on that :laughing:

It was on temporary traffic lights tonight.

I still can’t believe they’ve never built a bypass !!

bald bloke:

The good burghers of Bathampton saw to that. When the A46 Batheaston bypass to the A4 was built, it would have been easy to build a spur to go past Bathampton, to join the A36 just south of Bathampton. But alas, the NIMBYs of the parish managed to block that.

Rumours that the owner of the Batheaston toll bridge had anything to do with it, are entirely unfounded.

Allegedly…

bald bloke:

As an aside, the whole of the area between the M4, M5, and A34 is a nightmare north to south. The problem is that there is no real straight corridor that can be eaily dualled or widened without running into either geological problems or buildup areas.
The A36 south of Bath is a good example. It clings to the side of an unstable hillside, and cant be widened or straightened. Building a new road lower in the river valley is prohibitively expensive, because it’s a flood plain.
Once you get to Shaftesbury, and the A350 down to Poole, the Cranbourne Chase brings its steep hills that are difficult (read expensive) to traverse.
The A37 is a nightmare from Bristol to Yeovil, with very little scope to improve.

It’s a shame the remodeling herr Hitler tried didn’t turn out better…
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baedeker_Blitz

drover:

bald bloke:

drover:

Yes I’m sure the article said something about one of the biggest and most complicated engineering projects undertaken in Bath for many years…
My guess is 2 years minimum any advances on that [emoji38]

“Biggest engineering job in Bath”?
Charles Ware expanding his shop?

toby1234abc:
Just a heads up , the A36 will be closed from 20.00 to 06.00 from November 18 th 2019 , to December 12th 2019, Monday to Friday nights only , shut both ways from Beckington Services roundabout to Bath .

Not another one?

drover:

Seems the nimbies have had their way, one way or another.