Basing my caravan in my workplace

My shift patten at work is changing to regular days/nights I usually do nightsout travelling everyday would be to costly 240 mile round trip :frowning: I don’t want to finish as it’s a good payed job and I’ve been here 10 years I suggested to my boss could I base my my caravan in his yard our depo he seemed ok about it but the other drivers have said id be braking the law as I’ll be still taking my rest at the workplace ie in my cavavan in the yard also some weekends I would be having a 24 break there instead of going home are they right in what they say any views on this■■?

I think it’s a good idea - short term. I’d say you were ok legally. That’s a lot of milage you’re saving, but is that a lifestyle?
On a lighter note, the other drivers are gonna be fed up when you put up your white picket fence and start parking the horse box/pony and trap in the yard( also helping yourself to their diesel. :smiley: No offence :wink:
Oh, good luck with throwing a sickie!

Legal but not ideal
suppose I was a farmer and had operating centre at farm
where I lived. it would be ok for a driver from the village
to park there then why not me

Not illegal

Your workmates are wrong, you’re not automatically at work just because you just happen to be ‘living’ on site, no different than having a house next door or having a night out but back at base.

As others have said ,perfectly legal.See if he will pay you for being a night watchman.

human nature to mock someone for trying something out the ordinary mate, tell em to ■■■■ off and good for you

Wonder if the cops will turn up to evict the traveller in the haulage site :laughing:

You can take your weekly rest in your cab so they are talking crap.

Where i worked there were several drivers who lived in caravans and campers in the yard :sunglasses:

Think what you mean is,on of the other drivers has said its illegal and the rest of the sheep have agreed with him. If the gaffer is ok with it then do it,sod what the others think,they would only say you were mad for doing a long commute every day. Just one thing, make sure you dont become a free of charge security guard.

ckm1981:

Reduced = yes
Regular = no

I’ve known several people who have done this, lived in caravans, Winnebagos etc in the yard, sometimes for years. Never heard of VOSA having a problem with it. So long as you are free to dispose of your time as you choose then you comply with the legal requirements.

Happy sole:
My shift patten at work is changing to regular days/nights I usually do nightsout travelling everyday would be to costly 240 mile round trip :frowning: I don’t want to finish as it’s a good payed job and I’ve been here 10 years I suggested to my boss could I base my my caravan in his yard our depo he seemed ok about it but the other drivers have said id be braking the law as I’ll be still taking my rest at the workplace ie in my cavavan in the yard also some weekends I would be having a 24 break there instead of going home are they right in what they say any views on this■■?

For all intent and purpose the caravan will be your home so the other drivers are talking nonsense, as long as you’re free to dispose of your rest time freely you’re legal regardless of where your caravan is.

ROG:

ckm1981:

Reduced = yes
Regular = no

Not all reduced.

Happy sole:

Your workmates sound like happy souls :unamused: a bloke at our place does it who works nights,he goes to the baths everyday for a swim and a shower etc,he has no wife or family so it suits him fine,hes got a old renault camper thats on its last legs.

No different to sleeping in your truck, you see so many foreign drivers weekending in their trucks too.