Basic tail-lift question!

I used a new truck, made the first drop without any problem. Second drop, where I’ve been before in a different truck, the tuck-under tail-lift stopped about an inch from the ground. Any suggestions what I should have done please?

Class 1 or 2? The most obvious answer would be to alter the suspension (up or down would depend on class 1 or 2). I suppose the next step if that doesn’t sort it is vehicle positioning (lower onto a curb, etc).

These things happen in new/different trucks that your used to.

manicpb:
Class 1 or 2? The most obvious answer would be to alter the suspension (up or down would depend on class 1 or 2). I suppose the next step if that doesn’t sort it is vehicle positioning (lower onto a curb, etc).

It was a class 2. I moved the truck a few feet to start but that didn’t help and maybe I didn’t alter the suspension enough! Try again next time they give me that particular truck! Thanks.

I would tend to think the tail-lift arm is touching the ground too early due to the suspension being too low. The platform lowering may not complete satisfactorily in that case. I guess it could be too high, but you would probably know because the tail-lift would appear quite steep. Wouldn’t have thought a fluid issue, which would more likely be a problem raising.

Jeffrey32:

manicpb:

It was a class 2. I moved the truck a few feet to start but that didn’t help and maybe I didn’t alter the suspension enough! Try again next time they give me that particular truck! Thanks.

Just for clarity then, in a class 2 you’d want to lower the suspension. In a class 1 you’d lift the suspension of the tractor unit so the rear of the trailer would hopefully drop.

Keep your finger on until your sure it’s fully down, it can take a bit to squeeze the last bit of air out and drop the last few inches.

*Edit, Obviously adjusting the suspension may leave the deck unlevel, so take precautions.

Nothing to do with suspension. It’s to with the angle of the platform.
So when you rolled the platform out, did it have an uphill angle? That is, was it an uphill OUT of the body on to the platform. If yes that is the problem, so when you press the lower button the tail lift will stop at ground level but not tilt down.
Easy solution is to raise the platform to full height and adjust the tilt so it is a complete level line with the truck body.

Some tail lifts without flaps operate in a way that when they are lowest in regards vertically, if you keep your finger on the down button a few seconds longer, the tail lift deck then tilts down so the far edge connects with the road/pavement etc

I hope you understood what I meant. If in doubt, keep your finger on the button longer to make sure it’s doing what you want.

beanie:
Nothing to do with suspension. It’s to with the angle of the platform.
So when you rolled the platform out, did it have an uphill angle? That is, was it an uphill OUT of the body on to the platform. If yes that is the problem, so when you press the lower button the tail lift will stop at ground level but not tilt down.
Easy solution is to raise the platform to full height and adjust the tilt so it is a complete level line with the truck body.

I’ve never had a tuck under tail-lift with angle adjust, they probably are out there but I can’t say they are common.

Anyhow, the OP should have a few things to try should he find himself in the same position again.