Basic guidance sought in using a digi tacho

Like quite a few drivers I have never used a truck with a digital tacho fitted, but as older trucks get phased out I know I am going to have to bite the bullet and learn to use one. I got a digi card when I did my dcpc last year and have downloaded one of the tachograph simulators to get used to the menu layouts.

OK guys in VERY simple terms what is the procedure in using a digi tacho. What do you do when you get in the vehicle, i.e. do you have to print anything out at that stage or just insert the card, check the time is correct and then do your walk around checks?

At the end of your shift apart from taking your card out, do you have to do any print outs then at all and do you keep these yourself?

Final question - downloading the data I presume is some kind of card reader in the office. Do you have to keep any print outs from this operation?

Know it all seems elementary to you guys that do it every day, but for those that us that have never been near one and won’t get the opportunity for training on one, any help or advice would be gratefully received - thanks.

Go on you tube just type in digi tacho and you will get all that you need there.Once you get into it they are much easier than analogue frisbee types.

^ ^
WHAT HE SAID
Too much writing involved for me there friend sorry!

Thanks guys. Never even thought about YouTube for some obscure reason. :blush:

There are certainly a few videos on there that will hopefully help me get it cracked. :slight_smile:

Don’t worry about there being several different makes of tacho, they all do the same and you do the same with them all, they just got a different face.

You have pretty much covered the ‘in a nutshell’ version so I wouldn’t worry too much.

Print out if over time and write on back reason (same as tacho card)
Downloading varies from company to company. Stobbies is everyday (agency) but my place is every 28 days ( I put it in my diary and D/Load my own)

Much easier than using an old bit of paper at 5am :wink:

Card in, wait 5 or 10 mins and go, none of this manual entry ■■■■■■■■, put it on break like an analogue , take it out at the end of the day like an anologue, download every 28 days job done

Thanks again guys. You have answered my next question about which make to study. :wink:

There were two of us at the dcpc course last year who had never used a digi tacho and another driver there who had got pulled up by the DVSA the previous year, who told him he was using the tacho incorrectly in some way. They’d let him off with a stern word once he explained nobody had ever actually taught him how to use one. :unamused:

Card in, follow instructions on display, roll a cig, slurp your brew, drive.

You only need a pen for the defect book now :wink:

Really simple to use, pop your card in, follow the instructions. Your manual entries will differ depending on which unit you have. Siemans have two versions, never used a Stoneridge. You’ll get better at them the more you use them.

LIBERTY_GUY:
Like quite a few drivers I have never used a truck with a digital tacho fitted, but as older trucks get phased out I know I am going to have to bite the bullet and learn to use one. I got a digi card when I did my dcpc last year and have downloaded one of the tachograph simulators to get used to the menu layouts.

OK guys in VERY simple terms what is the procedure in using a digi tacho. What do you do when you get in the vehicle, i.e. do you have to print anything out at that stage or just insert the card, check the time is correct and then do your walk around checks?

At the end of your shift apart from taking your card out, do you have to do any print outs then at all and do you keep these yourself?

Final question - downloading the data I presume is some kind of card reader in the office. Do you have to keep any print outs from this operation?

No need to do printouts unless you ■■■■ something up. If you do, make two printouts (one for you and one for the office) writing on the back of each the nature of ■■■■ up. eg: going over driving hours because of congestion. Keep your copy for a minimum of 28 days, longer if possible.
Know it all seems elementary to you guys that do it every day, but for those that us that have never been near one and won’t get the opportunity for training on one, any help or advice would be gratefully received - thanks.

Oops, I blame the phone!

chaversdad:
Card in, wait 5 or 10 mins and go, none of this manual entry ■■■■■■■■,

On the ones where I work that would see you having not had a daily rest and finding yourself getting the 4.5hr drive warning a lot earlier than you were expecting.

LIBERTY_GUY:

There are certainly a few videos on there that will hopefully help me get it cracked. :slight_smile:

There’s a good one on Youtube by cuddybones

I used to press No & go and got pulled up by the transport office about it,watched the cuddy vid and do what he says,still c0ck it up mind,it’s an age thang :wink:

Ramon123:

LIBERTY_GUY:

There’s a good one on Youtube by cuddybones

I used to press No & go and got pulled up by the transport office about it,watched the cuddy vid and do what he says,still c0ck it up mind,it’s an age thang :wink:

Thanks for that. Found it eventually as it cruddybones. :wink: :wink:

UPDATE: Just one thing I’m struggling to get my head around at the moment.

Using POA over the break symbol when waiting at places? Like with analogue tachos where some bod tells you it going to be 30 minutes wait so you’d put your clock on break only for things to change 10 minutes later. I know both break and POA essentially reduce your working hours, as opposed to the legal requirements for breaks showing for driving, but why would you use one in preference to another? I.e. if you not driving or doing other work then by any definition you are on a break from work?

I know I’ll get slated for this answer but … get on a DCPC course (it’ll count for your next 35 hours) and get them to cover it.

I find some weeks there’s nobody in the room that wants to go through manual entries etc and other weeks there’s loads of interest. Unfortunately I find the subtle difference between brands and versions mean it isn’t something you can really write down and it is far easier to explain using various simulators and powerpoint slides to answer direct questions. it is also handy if someone shows you where to find information and how to display it. The early versions are a bit basic in this department but the later versions have quite a bit of information available to the driver.

There is more often than not a need to carry out manual entries to ensure full legal compliance. I know many don’t bother but I also know of many that have regretted that once DVSA started digging for various reasons. They aren’t hard to do once you know the basics. Many will get away without - but it is getting away with it, it isn’t complying with the rules.

I also think it is important to select the bed symbol at the end of the shift when taking your card out, then ensure it is on bed before you put your card in the next day. This isn’t a legal issue but some of the Siemens tachos do seem to get their wires crossed if you don’t. There’s no harm in doing it - call it best practice.

If you are gonna book a DCPC course make sure you ask them if they will definitely cover what you need to know. Unfortunately not all trainers actually know how to do a manual input or even that there are differences between makes and versions.

LIBERTY_GUY:
Using POA over the break symbol when waiting at places? Like with analogue tachos where some bod tells you it going to be 30 minutes wait so you’d put your clock on break only for things to change 10 minutes later. I know both break and POA essentially reduce your working hours, as opposed to the legal requirements for breaks showing for driving, but why would you use one in preference to another? I.e. if you not driving or doing other work then by any definition you are on a break from work?

I suppose the benefit of using a POA over a break is that a POA isn’t a break. Once you have recorded a single break of 45m or more or a minimum of 15m followed by minimum 30m your driving period will reset giving a fresh 4.5 hours driving before you must legally take a break from driving. By recording POA instead of break you can - in a way - control when your driving period resets and so control roughly when/where breaks from driving will be due.

EXAMPLE 1
Lets say I drove 3h to my delivery point. I recorded 15m break followed by 1h POA sitting in my cab whilst they unloaded me. I have a 5h drive straight back to base now. 1.5h drive from here there’s a lovely scenic layby with a great healthy food van - that’s where I’m heading next (its my favourite stopping place). I stop and have the remaining 30m break and my healthy burger to reset my driving time and then hit the road straight back to base in a single 3.5h drive

EXAMPLE 2
Now what if I had recorded break for the full 1h 15m hours whilst they tipped me. I’ve got a full 4.5h driving period ahead of me now and 5h drive back to base. I can’t really justify to the boss to be stopping in my favourite scenic layby for my healthy burger when I just has 1h 15m of break so I crack on in the hope I’ll actually get to the yard in my 4.5h - but it doesn’t pay off, my driving time runs out just 1/2h from base … and I have to stop for a full 45m in a ■■■■ soaked stinking layby - and the burger van has shut!! With this example I even get back to the yard 15m later than example 1.

I know the 2 examples above are a bit unrealistic - but are they? Sometimes it can be an advantage not to reset the driving period … horses for courses I guess.

Personally I doubt I would ever record a POA unless company policy forced it on me. A break seems far more beneficial but it is literally each to their own and when sitting on our backside doing nothing we can choose which mode to record. There are arguments for each one but to my mind break wins.

shep532:

LIBERTY_GUY:

I suppose the benefit of using a POA over a break is that a POA isn’t a break. Once you have recorded a single break of 45m or more or a minimum of 15m followed by minimum 30m your driving period will reset giving a fresh 4.5 hours driving before you must legally take a break from driving. By recording POA instead of break you can - in a way - control when your driving period resets and so control roughly when/where breaks from driving will be due.

EXAMPLE 1
Lets say I drove 3h to my delivery point. I recorded 15m break followed by 1h POA sitting in my cab whilst they unloaded me. I have a 5h drive straight back to base now. 1.5h drive from here there’s a lovely scenic layby with a great healthy food van - that’s where I’m heading next (its my favourite stopping place). I stop and have the remaining 30m break and my healthy burger to reset my driving time and then hit the road straight back to base in a single 3.5h drive

EXAMPLE 2
Now what if I had recorded break for the full 1h 15m hours whilst they tipped me. I’ve got a full 4.5h driving period ahead of me now and 5h drive back to base. I can’t really justify to the boss to be stopping in my favourite scenic layby for my healthy burger when I just has 1h 15m of break so I crack on in the hope I’ll actually get to the yard in my 4.5h - but it doesn’t pay off, my driving time runs out just 1/2h from base … and I have to stop for a full 45m in a ■■■■ soaked stinking layby - and the burger van has shut!! With this example I even get back to the yard 15m later than example 1.

I know the 2 examples above are a bit unrealistic - but are they? Sometimes it can be an advantage not to reset the driving period … horses for courses I guess.

Personally I doubt I would ever record a POA unless company policy forced it on me. A break seems far more beneficial but it is literally each to their own and when sitting on our backside doing nothing we can choose which mode to record. There are arguments for each one but to my mind break wins.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Shep, it makes a bit more sense to me now.

Thanks Buddy :wink:

POA - P = PAUSE

REST - R = RESET

Shep has given a couple of good examples there,

Don’t forget too, if you use POA from time to time, on an analysis it will show the VOSA bod that you know what you are doing (even if you don’t) and are using the tacho functions/modes,
those that just use drive & bed can draw unnecessary attention to themselves,

Whilst on about different types, don’t forget there is no eject button on the Stoneridge, I have had a mate phone me to ask how he gets his card out?
Just press & hold button 1 until it starts to eject,
Just a simple thing but I have seen guys sitting there scratching their head for a while

Toddy2:
Whilst on about different types, don’t forget there is no eject button on the Stoneridge, I have had a mate phone me to ask how he gets his card out?
Just press & hold button 1 until it starts to eject,
Just a simple thing but I have seen guys sitting there scratching their head for a while

The new VDO/SIEMENS out this July no longer has an eject button (or so I believe) … there’ll be some more head scratching going on!